Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help Me Pick A 110 Welder

I need a 110 welder for sheet metal and light fabrication. I have a 220 that I only got to use a couple times - school got in the way. Until I get a new garage I won’t be able to hookup a 220 outlet.

Any suggestions?

Country Flag: United States
      Hobart and Miller both have decent 110 MIG welders. Miller has some that work on both 110 and 220.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks for the feedback!

After more Googling last night, it looks like all the major names have a 140-series machine. The big three are a little more expensive, but have a good reputation. The one other machine that I found that looks interesting is the Eastwood 135. Along with all the same features as the Lincoln 140 plus it has a variable voltage setting, which seems like a great feature for sheetmetal work. It's also much cheaper than the Lincoln, Miller, etc. machines.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Eastwood 135?

I had a 175 eastwood, worked good. I did however upgrade to the miller 210 with both 110v and 220v plugs. Miller stuff is nice, and they usually have some rebate on them. You could use the 110v plug until you upgraded wiring, then plug into the 220v with no changes.

Lincoln also has a dual voltage unit that would work as your skills/wiring get better. Again, buy once and no need to upgrade later.

Norstar has a 175 with dual voltage plugs as well. This is similar to the eastwood units, but is rebranded for welding shops to sell. I am fairly confident in it being exactly the same mfg.

HF just came out with digital vulcan welders that sound pretty good on paper. Do you want to be the guinea pig?
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

I already have a 220 V Lincoln, so i don't need another one. At the moment I don't have a 220 V outlet at the moment, but I'm hoping to build a garage pretty soon. In the mean time, I'm thinking it would be nice to have a dedicated 110 machine that I can use just for sheet metal and light duty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      I already have a 220 V Lincoln, so i don't need another one. At the moment I don't have a 220 V outlet at the moment, but I'm hoping to build a garage pretty soon. In the mean time, I'm thinking it would be nice to have a dedicated 110 machine that I can use just for sheet metal and light duty stuff.
      I've had a Hobart 140 for a number of years, never was fond of the way it welded... Until someone (on here I think), told me to quit using the flux core wire and go to solid wire and use gas. I did, and it was worse! Then I was asked if I switched the polarity..uh, no. I did that and now welds like a dream. I really like it, and not as high as some.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I love my Miller matic

I went ahead and put in a 220V outlet. We'll see how my Lincoln SP-175t has held up just sitting around for the past 10 years. Hopefully I'm not going to be in the market for a 220V welder now

Now on to plasma cutters!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com