Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      man it's looking great. i love projects like this, stuff thats challenging and really shows how it doesnt matter what you want, it just takes time, patience, endurance and a lot of money and busted knuckels

Quote Originally Posted by JAG. View Post
      man it's looking great. i love projects like this, stuff thats challenging and really shows how it doesnt matter what you want, it just takes time, patience, endurance and a lot of money and busted knuckels
      You got that right! seems like every time I start something on this car it costs me $250. I am waiting on a power master mini starter at the moment. In order to run a 3.5" down pipe behind the passenger cylinder head and to the ground I needed to cut into my manifold Tee between cylinders 6 and 8 and add a short radius 90* that points straight down. The stock starter solenoid is in the way so I had to quit there. Once I get the starter situation sorted out I need to make pipes that connect the drivers side manifold to the passenger side, then determine a waste gate location.

If I wasn't adding this turbo I might have already finished this car.

Here you go guys, two weeks worth of updates.

First up are the modifications I made to the turbo log. I needed to make a dump that cleared the starter as well and left room for a 3.5" down pipe. Here was my solution.

I struggled with the driver side manifold, Im missing some pics of it but it was a re-purposed LS3 camaro manifold with a bunch of cut down schedule-40 45* angles and a 2.5" header flange welded to it. I bought a tight radius 2.5" exhaust bend donut and made the connecting pipes from manifold to manifold. It was such a pain in the butt to tighten the bolts I ended up welding them in so they would act as studs. I made the crossover pipe 3 times on an engine stand. I finally bolted the trans to the engine to help determine the angles necessary.

I need to dent the pipe slightly for more room around the idler and possibly grind the driver side manifold for additional steering box clearance.

With all that crap in place i moved on to the 3.5" down pipe. I didnt have much room but it turned out great.

as you can see I have 1/4" space all around the pipe and it dumps right at the frame. I have enough room for a bend and a bullet muffler that will terminate at the trans crossmember if I choose to do so.

Next up is boring a hole in the log manifold for the waste gate. I think Im going to installed it straight out of the manifold just before it turns up to the turbine housing. I may run the wastegate dump to the atmosphere or find a way to add it to the dump pipe some how.

I've seen a lot of people put the wastegate right into the turbine housing. May want to research that option...Looking great!!!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Sloppy Mechanics did that on his "Don't BS me low buck build" on Youtube. The big downside I saw in that was that if you want to change turbos, it might be harder to sell.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Sloppy Mechanics did that on his "Don't BS me low buck build" on Youtube. The big downside I saw in that was that if you want to change turbos, it might be harder to sell.

Jay
      Sloppy mechanics has played a major role in this build. I plan on using his jegs "sloppy stage 2" cam as well as the PAC1218 valve spring upgrade. Seems to work just fine for that 600hp mark and sounds pretty awesome too.

Next week I will fabricate the intercooler mounts and hack up a spare stone guard and wide grill trim to make fit. I have a custom made 3.5" vertical flow intercooler from tredstone performance, its kind of small but was rated for 750hp. I made a mock up out of wood and it should fit pretty well. My radiator support isnt in the best shape so I will cut a lot of it if need be. I have a spare I bought just for a tiny patch piece I needed to fix my dads fastback from battery acid damage.

I found Sloppy Mechanics Youtube page a couple weeks ago. I'd been aware of them, but hadn't really watched his videos until recently.
      It's what's gotten my motivation back to work on my LS S-10 project.

Jay

Sorry for my delay. It has been one hell of a year! 2018 has not been kind to me.

I seperated from my child's mother, lost my job, sold my 2017 gt, found new work, been in and out of a few relationships, and fell ill in the process.

Between jobs I used a chunk of my severance pay to help scoot the car along. Here is the progress for the the month of November 2018.

I repositioned the turbo back a tiny bit and decided to hack up the core support. I made a tube frame out of 1/8 wall 3/4 DOM tubing and make some intercooler mounts out of scraps i had. Two 2.5 silicone 90s bring the pipes into the car. I had to hack up the stock hood latch support but it all clears the grille and front end parts. As a result I had to relocate the battery to the trunk.

TurboSmart 50mm RacePort BOV

Engine update:

LS9 head gaskets
      ARP head studs
      rollmaster timing chain
      trickflow dampener kit

"Sloppy Stage 2" jegs camshaft:
      Lift: 0.585"/0.585"
      Duration @ 0.050": 228°/230°
      Advertised Duration: 283°/286°
      Lobe Separation: 112°

PAC 1218 springs

Stock heads cut and resurfaced
      Summit racing bronze bushing trunion kit

As for the body i decided to spray just about everything with Upol raptor. I stripped the rear wheel wells, trunk, interior floor pans, and underside of the car and sprayed it all. I did spray the front frame and lower control arm area too. I used eastwood rust encapsulator, 2k aerospray epoxy, as well as their 2k rat rod black for the dash and firewall.

Great job, I can only imagine how long the engine bay took to prep. I'll be doing the same to my car next week, just curious, did you use the raptor liner on the roof? or just leave it epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      Great job, I can only imagine how long the engine bay took to prep. I'll be doing the same to my car next week, just curious, did you use the raptor liner on the roof? or just leave it epoxy?
      The roof of my car was covered in a fine layer of surface rust. When I purchased the car it was disassembled and stored outside without glass in it. I covered the entire roof and structures with aerosol rust encapsulator then sprayed it with some rat rod black. The rust encapsulator makes a great primer! I used it in the trunk, floors, firewall area, and dash. Epoxy goes right over the top of it like nothin.

Nice to see you back at it. Just remember, women come and go, but car projects accumulate.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Lol. It seems like new children are what causes the biggest slowdowns to car projects, tho.
      My GF actually told me I should buy another project. She's very supportive. lol

Jay

Good to see you back at it! You may have found the most slack-free LS timing chain in history. Onward to the joy of finding ways to route things like radiator hoses and spark plug wires and a fan. Here's a pic of the once non-crowded engine bay in my Falcon, post-turbo addition:
      Name:  DSC_0294.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  253.6 KB

The lack of shock towers makes things a lot easier, as does the engine being under the windshield, but the biggest help was just using the truck manifolds in reverse fashion (cut and welded into different things, of course). Best of luck maintaining momentum. 2018 has not been my favorite year, either.

The biggest thing that I regret about my Cougar is not ditching the shock towers....

I would have added a turbonator by now.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Things got interesting in the garage today. I mounted my booster and master cylinder as well as my willwood proportioning valve so I could make the new front brake hardlines before the motor goes in. I unboxed my PBR cobra calipers and tossed them onto my mustang steve brackets. My dad dug out my C5 Z06 calipers and attempted to install them on the passenger side of the car. I bought them thinking i would modify the mustang steve brackets to accommodate the C5 bracket. Well my dad put me up to it and after a trip to the vice with the carbide bit i ovaled the holes and this was the result.

https://i.imgur.com/KLTbqP5.mp4

Click the link above for a boomerang of the wheel spinning.

The wheel spins freely but i did have to make the caliper bolt holes egg shaped to move the bolts upwards to clear the rotor. I also had to modify the tin tabs that support the brake pads. i just ground down the center tab as it contacted the rotor all in all it wasnt too bad. I bolted both brackets together and use the original as a template for the drivers side.

anyone need brand new silver ceramic coated 03/04 Cobra PBR Calipers LOL

Not a huge update but I made left and right front brake lines out of some nickel/copper tubing. Stuff bends like a dream. I made all this by hand with no template. I need to order more so i can make the rear line. After that the engine and all systems will be installed.

Nice. I'm a big fan of the NiCopp lines and also the Baer Remaster! I have a15/16" bore on my Cougar as a manual system. Works great.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com