Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

adhesive questoin

Installing a new radiator and fab'ing the brackets. Need input on a good, strong, rubber to metal adhesive. Using 1/8 high temp silicone rubber pads and have to glue it to the mount. I'm leaning toward weather strip adhesive, or windshield bedding compound. Any suggestions out there? I'm fairly darn sure any store bought glue in CA is going to be EPA low VOC reformulated junk. I've heard Barge glue is good if you can find the old version.

Why glue?

Sandwich the rubber in between the radiator and the hold down plate. Once it's bolted down, it's not going anywhere.
      Andrew Scott
      '87 GN - 12.8 @ 108
      https://www.andrewdscott.com
      Instagram: @andrewdscott12
      Twitter: @Andrew1427

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6inKY View Post
      Why glue?

Sandwich the rubber in between the radiator and the hold down plate. Once it's bolted down, it's not going anywhere.
      I agree, besides I don't know of a glue that's going to stick to silicone.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I agree, besides I don't know of a glue that's going to stick to silicone.
      If both parts are REALLY clean, spray headliner adhesive would work, at least for sticking the bumpers to the radiator so they stay put while he installs it.
      Andrew Scott
      '87 GN - 12.8 @ 108
      https://www.andrewdscott.com
      Instagram: @andrewdscott12
      Twitter: @Andrew1427

Use black weather strip adhesive. The stuff can hold just about anything together.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Silicone is really strong in compression. I wouldn't run any glue with it. while most silicone rubbers (VMQ) are chemical resistant, depending on the specific glue you could degrade the silicone rubber.

Hey, try the strip adhesive, it will work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by groho View Post
      Installing a new radiator and fab'ing the brackets. Need input on a good, strong, rubber to metal adhesive. Using 1/8 high temp silicone rubber pads and have to glue it to the mount. I'm leaning toward weather strip adhesive, or windshield bedding compound. Any suggestions out there? I'm fairly darn sure any store bought glue in CA is going to be EPA low VOC reformulated junk. I've heard Barge glue is good if you can find the old version.
      Hi Groho

I would recommend using a heavy duty spray adhesive that is compatible with most materials. I;ve a couple of cans in the shed and they do an excellent job on rubber to metal adhesion.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway101 View Post
      Hi Groho

I would recommend using a heavy duty spray adhesive that is compatible with most materials. I;ve a couple of cans in the shed and they do an excellent job on rubber to metal adhesion.
      This stuff will stick anything: Heavy Duty Adhesive Spray

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com