Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Rod if you need to adopt any kids let me know! I love that wagon. I saw the Donut media video about it and feel like they did a great job of capturing the enthusiasm you and your wife have for cars.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcOa_E4Igs

I think the weird cars are kinda whats left thats affordable in the vintage car world. I've always been fascinated with the Trans Am pony cars and am building this vision of whats been in my head for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by 813Demon340 View Post
      Zspoiler, yes anytime I can go as there are so many ideas and inspiration there!. I have been fortunate enough to see the 68 #4 Kaplan car, the 70 Donahue car, Buzz Dyers #7 Javelin and the championship winning 71 AMX. Along with a host of the other SVRA Trans Am cars. I ironically the day the AMX was delivered to my house, I was at the Historic Races in Sonoma. The plan is to paint the chassis "tub" Traco grey. Here is a pic of one of the few vintage racing AMX's thats seldom seen.

Shawn0331, I'd love to see some pics of your build! What are you doing for suspension?
      I'm curious too about the weight. I'm wanting to keep it under 3000 and as close to 3000 wet with a driver as I can. My issue is trying to lighten it while keeping weight in the rear.
      Attachment 155862
      I nutted up and sold my soul to afford the Control freaks IFS and 4 link rear... Just got the car back from the media blasters and only found some pin holes in the rear fenders so i lucked out. If you're going Ls platform with aluminum block it would have to be under 3k wet. Those amc motors with cast iron bock, heads and accessories are probably almost 800lbs themselves. taking that much weight off the front alone will completely transform the car. And i know what you mean about trying to keep weight over the rear... almost impossible, thats why im trying to keep low trq numbers and move the power band up into the rpm range so it will hook on corner exit.

Well I know its not an LS.....

BUT, I had everything sitting around in the garage (Mopar 360La motor, Canton road race pan, 833 4speed with shifter & rods, bell housing, a new clutch, etc) which makes room and doesn't cost me anything as its already paid for. Truth is I am a lifelong Mopar addict and have a lot of A body (Demon, Duster, Dart) parts for my 72 Demon 340. So after some curious thought I realized my Demon isn't going to be done anytime soon and I had a complete driveline sitting around. So out came the cherry picker and I threw all the parts together for a mock up and what do ya know, it fits...quite well actually. Clutch linkage will need some consideration but even the 72 340 exhaust manifolds fit! The shifter should require very minor cutting to fit but the trans and rods has plenty of clearance. Plus its lighter than the AMC engine and the "good 360" engine I have has more aluminum on it to get it down to stock LS LQ9 weight.

If there is one thing I realized, its that life is short and cars can take a long time to finish if you want them perfect. My thoughts are to get it running /driving with the 360 and get the car sorted out while I save for the LS swap. Track time is track time and this will get me out there a whole lot sooner. Ride height in the front is about where I want it, rear needs to come down an inch or two.
      Name:  LAAMX1.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  97.3 KBName:  LAAMX2.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  182.0 KBName:  LAAMX3.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  229.3 KBName:  LAAMX4.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  172.5 KB

Love your project.
      I know it looks like a lot of room in the engine compartment, but it fills up fast!

Name:  20180611_094723.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  237.4 KB

Having a car that is driveable trumps everything.. Also where did you find that front bumper/spoiler combo?

Shawn0331, the controls freak stuff is pretty good and was something I wanted to do on my green 68. This AMX had the full Control Freak set up and did really well at Willow Springs with us last year. The bumper is from an out of business company called "Fiberglass Trends". They made the one piece bumper spoiler combo and also just spoiler. Somebody should repop them cause I get asked about it a lot....hmm let me ask a friend who makes Cuda spoilers. Here is a Javelin with separate spoiler on it.

Whopper, cool Javelin! Do you have any more pics and details? What did you use for a pedal assembly? Yeah that real estate does fill up quickly.
      Name:  AMXX.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  373.3 KBName:  68Javelin.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  144.0 KBName:  Fiberglasstrendsfrtspoiler.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  147.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper View Post
      Love your project.
      I know it looks like a lot of room in the engine compartment, but it fills up fast!

Name:  20180611_094723.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  237.4 KB
      +1 for the pedal assembly. Really curious to see how you mounted up the wilwood master and possibly clutch if its a t56 trans.

The stance is looking great! Currently working on a stage2 kit for AMC's that will replace the strut rod and lower control arm.
      If you have seen a modern Trans-Am tube-chassis racer, you will notice that the basic configuration of the lower control arm and strut rod are very similar to the basic design concept of the AMC, however it's executed with much better hardware to say the least, ;)

Also, One of my customers is using the ridetech TQ series remote reservoir triple adjustable shocks.
      Interestingly that car is getting built by a shop in Mesa Arizona, near you? for an owner in the UK.

The wilwood master is a direct bolt-in on an AMC. You will need to fab up a rod-end and shaft to connect it to the stock pedal assembly.
      Also, for a front spoiler I used a '69 Camaro unit, then later added some carbon sheet to extend it down for an updated TransAM racer look. I expect to break it at some point so I wanted something easily replaced.

Hi Mike, have you ever seen the Ringbrothers Javelin?

https://ringbrothers.com/1972-amc-javelin-amx-defiant
      1972 Chevelle 6.0 LQ9/4l80e

Yes, I have seen that car, but not 'in person' yet. lots to like about it. I watched the build on-line and even watched the SEMA reveal. I actually prefer the smoother lines of the early Javelins to the humpsters. However with big wheels and tires those 1971 and later Javelins look good.

I'm a huge fan of getting a car on the road, then evolving it from there if you can. Here in Wisconsin we have some long winters, so nearly every winter I would update the car.
      I got the car on the road in 2009 after a 2 year restoration. It was basically a stock-ish restoration with Automatic and the engine the car came with.
      I had some fun with the car which then gave me incentive to evolve the car to be better for the next season.
      Over the years I just made an update each winter. One year was the switch from Auto to 5-speed, another was an engine swap from stock 343 to road-race 401, Swap to a Moser rear axle assembly, and so on.
      I'm nearly done with this car, based on my definition of a 'Street Car' and the intent of the project. I'm to the point where all I need to do is a bunch of little things that I've not gotten to to, like getting the gas gauge to function, and a couple interior lights. I've learned so much on this that I've planned the 2.0 version of this car

I was lucky enough to see it in person at the Scottsdale, AZ Goodguys show and it is a beautiful work of art. Definitely my favorite car that year.

I use the same build method for my Chevelle except I sweat it out in the garage during the summers here in Phoenix. I think Im on version 4.0 with my Chevelle in the 15 years that ive owned it. I would have finished it a decade ago if I did everything all at once and left it alone, but Im never satisfied.
      1972 Chevelle 6.0 LQ9/4l80e

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      +1 for the pedal assembly. Really curious to see how you mounted up the wilwood master and possibly clutch if its a t56 trans.
      Well, actually I'm moving the clutch master for the THIRD time...

The car was originally an automatic so I bought a clutch brake pedal assembly from an undetermined AMC on ebay. Cobbled together my original with the pedals and arms from the standard but the pedals were too close together... so i cut and welded the clutch pedal about 2 1/4" to the left.

I tried to use the stamped hole that was already there for mechanical clutch linkage but it put the master cyl. too far down and even building a bracket for the proper angle, almost all the leverage was gone. Fail.

So where the clutch pedal is now it lines up perfectly with my 1st attempt at mounting. Barely fits inside the cursed unibody slope. But plenty of leverage and it disengages fine now, although I may have 'overclutched' it (Spec stage 2+, probably good for twice the h.p. i expect).

And since I was tearing that all apart I decided to put a Hydraboost on the brake master. Never had any issues connecting the Wilwood master to the brake pedal. Hydraboost has adapters for about any car... the Wilwood master only uses the botton 2 bolts of the pedal assembly mount, the Hydraboost uses 4...

Sorry about the rotated pics...
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Well I know its not an LS.....

BUT, I had everything sitting around in the garage (Mopar 360La motor, Canton road race pan, 833 4speed with shifter & rods, bell housing, a new clutch, etc) which makes room and doesn't cost me anything as its already paid for. Truth is I am a lifelong Mopar addict and have a lot of A body (Demon, Duster, Dart) parts for my 72 Demon 340. So after some curious thought I realized my Demon isn't going to be done anytime soon and I had a complete driveline sitting around. So out came the cherry picker and I threw all the parts together for a mock up and what do ya know, it fits...quite well actually. Clutch linkage will need some consideration but even the 72 340 exhaust manifolds fit! The shifter should require very minor cutting to fit but the trans and rods has plenty of clearance. Plus its lighter than the AMC engine and the "good 360" engine I have has more aluminum on it to get it down to stock LS LQ9 weight.

If there is one thing I realized, its that life is short and cars can take a long time to finish if you want them perfect. My thoughts are to get it running /driving with the 360 and get the car sorted out while I save for the LS swap. Track time is track time and this will get me out there a whole lot sooner. Ride height in the front is about where I want it, rear needs to come down an inch or two.
      Name:  LAAMX1.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  97.3 KBName:  LAAMX2.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  182.0 KBName:  LAAMX3.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  229.3 KBName:  LAAMX4.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  172.5 KB

I also had a 340 Demon 'back in the day'! Sadly, it was faster than I was smart.

I can promise you the 'ease' of an LS swap is over sold. Great engines, small package, tons of aftermarket... but bits and pieces add up. $$$

I have the Control Freaks, too.

Thanks Whopper for posting the clutch pedal pics, that will help down the road. 340 A bodies are fun cars and pretty fast cars, I've had several love rthe years.
      I have been doing a lot of research on the LS swap and you're right about things adding up. I figure what ever I do with the 360 drivetrain will just go into the Demon anyways. I can collect all of the needed LS swap parts

Not too much to post about, I've been working a lot to pay for more parts.
      I got the following done:
      - Disc brake mounting brackets are being cut
      - Headlights mounted (modified the cups to fit once I figured out which bezels I needed. BTW, if you are wanting to run modern lights on an AMX/ Javelin use a set of headlight buckets and cups from an late 60's American/Rambler. They bolt right up and have a larger opening in the cup. Mine have the turn signals in them so I had to cut of notches in the cups too.
      - Steering column rebuilt & refinished
      - Mopar motor mounts drilled and proper sized rubber biscuits ordered
      - Numerous holes filled & welded.

Highest on the priority list is the cage and brakes, stay tuned.

Anybody else get torn between restorer mindset and race car mindset? There is some deadweight to cut out of the car and I'm having a hard time cutting it up.

Not too much to post about, I've been working a lot to pay for more parts.
      Anybody else get torn between restorer mindset and race car mindset? There is some deadweight to cut out of the car and I'm having a hard time cutting it up.
      I think this happens to everyone! I had a vision that I'm sticking too. Even though my car has evolved over the last 9 years it's stayed true to the original goal I had set. This was basically a "Street Car". MY definition of a street car is a vehicle without a cage or a roll bar, and a functional back seat. My goal was also to be true to the AMC brand. The only part I strayed on that was the rear axle (Moser 9 with aluminum center section).

Next Car will have much different goals, something with a cage and perhaps a Gen3 Hemi? It will definitely have flares and bigger tires!
      I continue to learn how to drive, and how to tune suspension on this car, The next week point I have is the brakes. I can't wait to see your brake solution! Here is a pic from a few days ago, hopefully your are burning tires in the next few months too!
      Name:  2018-09-24_10-09-53.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  177.6 KB

Well, I apologize to everyone that was following this build thread, sometimes life has its own path for things. It hass been a few years and some things have changed. But I really like to see things get finished, so here I am.

Quick version of my story: sold 68 AMX, sold 72 Demon and ALL of my extra parts, bought a 69 AMX, bought LS1 & T56 magnum, and have been collecting parts. Enter Kenosha Corncob 2.0

Longer version. I realized my madness of putting a LA360 into the AMX would be a mistake. A friend came up with another friend to pick up a Duster I had and he made me an offer on the 68 AMX. After thinking about the offer for awhile I put together a plan that made sense (AT THE TIME) in order to get things done. I sold him the AMX and the extra parts I had for it, in order to get my 72 Demon finished. I had the car and almost all of the parts to finish it. I instantly regretting selling the AMX, but I know it has a good home. I finished up the Demon with all of the parts I had laying around, which helped to determine what extra parts I had to sell as well. My plan was to stick to my vision of the AMX I wanted to build. So I sold it ALL, the car, the parts, all of the extra Mopar stuff I have been holding onto for years. I made the decision to be completely done with Mopars and burn the boats, so to speak, to fund the AMX build. With the car and all of the parts gone I started searching for a replacement AMX. And in the summer of 2019 I found an ad for a 1970 AMX for sale in OR, that included a 69 parts car. Turns out the parts car was an almost rust free roller of a 69 390 car with original paint and a title to boot! He didn't want to cut it up for the 70 he had and was glad to sell it to somebody that was going to save it. It was perfect for what I wanted to do, so 2 weeks and $2300 later it was sitting in my driveway. It was missing many of the things that I wanted to replace anyways like the rear end, motor, trans, hood, side glass, etc. I found a good complete 2001 Camaro SS LS1/6spd takeout package on Ebay. Fast forward to today and have gathered up almost everything I need to get the car car going. All while sticking to a low budget and being patient waiting for parts deals to come up.Name:  Found2.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  46.1 KBName:  Found1.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  41.0 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]186226[/ATTACH)
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks to friends, craigslist, and eBay I gathered up most of things to make it complete. I have the drivetrain in place and now that the winter is over I can get busy on it. I put a 8.8 (4:10 posi) out of an Explorer in it and I am anxiously waiting for a new front end kit from mike343sharpstick. Here is a picture of it about a year ago.Name:  LSbegin.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  414.3 KBName:  Redlsin.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  639.5 KB

Brief update: The gas tank is in and mounted in a steel frame, along with the battery. Dash cracks and breaks have all been reinforced and fixed. Gauges fitted into their prospective locations, the wiper and light switches will go on a plate where the original heater controls were. I'm getting rid of the stock heater/ defroster for smaller and lighter "hot rod" style, with a much smaller control switch. Radio pod has been modified to mount the ECU, switch panel, and now has 2 lighter sockets. The fuse panel will also be going behind the dash, so most of the wiring should be out of the way but easily accessible. I was also able to finally find a NOS front spoiler!Name:  AMXredtank.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  74.3 KBName:  AMXredgauges.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  96.7 KBName:  AMXredpanel1.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  125.6 KBName:  AMXredpanelback.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  94.3 KBName:  AMXredspoiler.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  103.5 KB

The dash and switch panel look great.