Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 79 malibu wagon

Country Flag: United States

79 malibu wagon

so figure id make a thread about my wagon...
      bought it when I was 15yo... originally was a 305/250/7.5(2.41)
      general goal has been, be able to keep up with a stock C6 vette
      so over the last 20 years its had several engines/trans currently its has 468BBC T56 viper, 8.8/7.5 hybrid with 3.08 true trac 275/40/17 all 4 corners looking at going to 315s
      been looking at http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1...carlo-chassis/ as a possibility

i'll get some pictures uploaded... seams I can link them from FB..

got to be a better way to upload pics here
      Attached Images Attached Images    

figure out the rework I have to do fixing the fixes Idk how to do when I was younger

hopefully ill have dmax in the engine bay vs cargo area.

probabaly the worst body fix, outside the need to replace the whole floor pan

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Your putting a Duramax in that thing?
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

G Body wagons for the win!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Your putting a Duramax in that thing?
      ultimate end goal yeah.. its about 1-2" taller than a BBC with a low rise dual plane intake and 75-100# heavier than the iron head BBC that's in it right now..
      figure either leave stock turbo(~600FWHP) or swap to parallel S256/S362 for similar power
      theres a GNX clone(diesel cutlass) with a duramax/4l85(06 and newer vans ran dmax with 4l85/6l90 trans) running around socal
      most likely leave the BBC in it so the car can be enjoyed from time to time.
      mike woods of nitrous express ran a dmax/4l80 in a SN95 stang, avg mid 40+mpg during the whole hot rod drag week about 6 years ago including 8 sec 1/4s
      LBZ/T56(probably up to a magnum) up the 8.8 with 31spline C-clip to either 9" or S60 full floater
      should be able to pull 0-60 in sub 4sec, low 11sec 1/4, 40+mpg 1G on a skid pad and driver around very nicely... sub 100' on 60-0 stopping

what I bought for $435 at 15yo 305sbc th200 7.5 with 2.41 gears 79 chevy Malibu clasic

I miss deployments 6-10 months of not being able to spend your checks....
      paint job in 03-04 winter dropped the car off said ill be back in 6-10 months

swapped the 305 to 383/th350 brakes shocks exhaust in spring of 04 and 245/60/14 BFG TA tires

hurt the trans(smoked sprag) swapped the 305 back in have ring job, new 305 sr tourqer heads small cam and dual plan intake swap the T56 in it drove from ohio to cali in 05 when I transfer from NJ to port hueneme CA

swapped all the oem rubber bushins to polly, rear springs swapped for 175lbin QA1 2.5 front got swaped with mogg 5608, local junk yard has $400.00 and 8 cylinder engine sale, picked up a what turned out to be a 468BBC with dual valve springs, and comp 1.72 roller tip rockers, stripped it down, wall was still in spec, so new rings bearings small camshaft 208/218* 475"/500: 114lsa had 049 heads (2.065/1.725 valves 118cc chamber) all shortly before I got out of the navy in 08.. move back home
      some hauling work

went to college(wyotech) to took the Malibu planed on doing a basic rebuild off the engine as, I found out latter the tick was piston slap on #7, which decide to bind up on 3 base line dyno pull before tear down...
      one of the more favorite moments is in 26 at the time more the kid where 18-19yo, came up after we found #7 piston self destructed and expanded its living quarters inside the block..,, "hey man aren't you pissed your engine blew up?!?! me: nope, of all the places that engine could have failed, it failed on a dyno in a full equipped automotive performance shop."
      when it went boom

run #2

carnge#7 rod

custom Variable valve timing

all back together, ported heads, under cut 2.06 and upped exhaust to 1.88 from 1.725 dropped ECT rough 20* same came spec, intake, 9:1 pistons, kmotion springs, 600cfm edelbrock the 750 was too much for 2.41 gears...

fresh engine dyno AFR peaked around mid 13:1, rarely was I in the secondary's... avg 19mpg on the freeway 13 mixed

uping from 245s to 275s maixis MA-V1 sucks they are discontinued

397 craggar soft 8 17x9 with 5"bs

swaping in a 31gallon blazer/suburban fuel tank both will be a lot better than the leaking 16gallon oem one.. and going from body mounted to frame mounted for the fuel tank.

county roads chip n seals 1/2 mile long gravel driveway ~60,000 miles has seen its toll on the paint job,

hydroboost is going on, swapped dual 8" booster and 1 5/16 MC on, since original was leaking both fluid and vacuum, oem harness need replace, outside painless, any recommendations to check out?
      afx spindles, 13" brakes, ~26" tires with 18+" wheels aren't going to like where I live
      the Schwartz chassis is nice, really nice.....

I love cars with history. Different configurations, the car has changed so much, yet still familiar. Cool ride. Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cbpldc View Post
      I love cars with history. Different configurations, the car has changed so much, yet still familiar. Cool ride. Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris
      Thanks, There's definitely repairs/mods I look back on and think WTF was I thinking when I did this?!? Lmao
      Gues that's part of the buying a vehicle at 15yo and fixing then growing and learning

Great to see another G-body getting restified.
      My thoughts and ramblings while working on my motor driven menagerie http://mechanicdude.blogspot.com/

Life happens nothing fancy done.. picked up complete 12" rear disc brake system with parking brake off a 02 F-body.... That will go in the stack of parts I have waiting.. unless i learn new stuff C5 ~13" rotors in the front.. read Corvette and Camaro front calipers are same....

Doesn't the G-body and S-10 share the same spindles? If so, you have to cut the caliper ears off the spindles and run adapters. Nothing crazy, Kore makes all the stuff for the swap.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      Doesn't the G-body and S-10 share the same spindles? If so, you have to cut the caliper ears off the spindles and run adapters. Nothing crazy, Kore makes all the stuff for the swap.
      There's several companies out now offering server variantions of the swap.. from new billet hubs and brackets (umi) Kore, speed tech I think has a kit too... sealed(later blazers) or grease hubs.. C5/C6 bearings
      end goal is AFX spindles

Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      There's several companies out now offering server variantions of the swap.. from new billet hubs and brackets (umi) Kore, speed tech I think has a kit too... sealed(later blazers) or grease hubs..
      end goal is AFX spindles

Totally expected to find this locked
      It has a new 482 BBC, UMI front A arms, C5 13" brakes 4th gen F-body 12" brakes out back and assorted bolt on frame braces, had it put auto x couple weeks ago for a shake done, old hard 300TW tires, ****ty shocks and rusty driver, nailed 76 or 77 cars. Did shave almost 10 seconds off my slowest time after 8 runs. Coil over with DA shocks and some fresh 200tw tires on the list, should allowed to hang out upper middle of the field
      Name:  IMG_20230808_173903349.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  443.5 KBName:  IMG_20230808_173932505.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  345.4 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com