Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Thank you Motown 454 and Just 1 More for the replies, that gives me some ideas.

Life always throws curve balls at us when building cars, but any progress IS progress in my opinion. My plan all along was to use the headlights with integrated turn signals in them and turn the turn signal holes into brake cooling ducts. A trip to home depot came up the PVC reducers that fit the hole perfectly. I then trimmed them down to fit the curves of the bumper, and installed some ram air tubing and sleeves that just happened to fit beyond perfectly.I'll paint them later. I went backwards a bit when I found out the pass side strut rod bracket is wallowed out and I have two of the same side strut rods. Although I did get the drivers side bracket restored. Next up is the rear springs and bushing replacement.

Name:  AMXramair.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  319.4 KBName:  AMXramair2.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  229.1 KB

This update: I got the rear end mostly done, long wheel studs installed along with new brakes and seals. Its a regular width 8.8 from a 2000 Explorer, with 4:10 posi. I didn't need to narrow it with the wheel offset I'm running as it centers them almost exactly in the wheel wells. I cleaned up the original Go Pack HD springs and replaced all of the bushings with Polygraphite. The spring hangers were mopar offset hangers, that I had to unoffset to locate the spring properly. New HD polygraphite hangers are backordered but will be here in Dec. I'm going to fit a center pull ebrake from a Mustang and use the factory Explorer e brake cables. The front end kit should be here soon! Next up I have to pull the drivetrain out to fix a stud, clean some things up and weld in the trans tunnel.
      Name:  AMXrears.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  508.0 KB

The back end is getting there, but it needs another inch drop in my opinion to close up the gap on top of the tire. But that will have to wait until it is running and driving at its full weight.
      Name:  AMXrearlow.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  276.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 813Demon340 View Post
      The back end is getting there, but it needs another inch drop in my opinion to close up the gap on top of the tire. But that will have to wait until it is running and driving at its full weight.
      Name:  AMXrearlow.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  276.5 KB
      Definitely wait until it's on it's full weight, but I think the gap looks just right.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Winter is over and its time to get back to it. Santa brought me the best present I could ask for, my front end kit from mike343sharpstick!! The drivetrain came out so I could rebuild/ restore the front end components and replace old worn parts with new stuff. I also had to fix a broken exhaust manifold bolt on the back of the head, thank god that one is finally done! Next up on the shortlist is removing the last of the undercoating from the front end and trans tunnel. Then mounting the front kit and welding up the trans tunnel.

Name:  Under.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  432.8 KBName:  Steeringb4.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  379.9 KBName:  Steeringafter.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  386.4 KB

I love new parts! Looking good!!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I found out that I had 2 right side strut rods and not a left side along with a pair of 70's. I finally found the correct left side 68/69 AMX/ Javelin strut rod. So now I have all of the pieces to put the front end back together. I went to pick n pull today and got myself the 8.8 u joint flange and I have ordered the correct u joint to make the Camaro driveshaft and the 8.8 work together, once I get it shortened and balanced. In doing some research on installing my Accusump I ran across this bitchin piece that has a -10 AN line fitting that replaces the factory oil cooler plate above the oil pan. Things are coming along nicely!
      Name:  IMG_4661 copy.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  302.9 KB

Progress updates:
      I got the tunnel welded in and seam sealed. I just need to finish off the cover for the shifter. Trans x member, engine x member, radiator cover, strut rods, and more have been cleaned & repainted. Pedal assembly restored to factory appearance, pedal covers recycled to cover up the different sized pedals. AMC used a primer/ coating that looks browish black with metallic in it. Closest I have found is Rustoleum dark oil rubbed bronze, then flat clear shot over it.
      Undercoating has been removed and cleaned up on the front inner fenders, using a heat gun and regular charcoal lighter fluid to easily remove the residue. Suspension brackets installed. Accusump mounted and line to the front ran. Engine compartment paint rubbed out, although AMC did a real half ass job painting those. Up next is installing the front crossmember, drivetrain assembly, front suspension & brakes. Everything can now go back together for the final time.
      Name:  Redpedals.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  460.0 KBName:  Redpasssus.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  288.7 KB

They look good, nice job!
      Wayne

Thanks Motown!

Finally assembly is moving along! All of the suspension is detailed and installed. Brakes were gone through, just need to get new flex lines tomorrow. Wheels fit without spacers, but the ball joint is super close, thankfully there's a lot of caliper clearance. Drive train dropped right in, tomorrow will be getting the driveshaft shortened. For the first time it is sitting close to its final stance, with all of the brakes and suspension installed. It is nice to have the finish line in sight, be it far away, but its there!
      Name:  Redarms.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  332.0 KBName:  Rewhlfit.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  299.1 KBName:  Redfrtcln.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  466.9 KBName:  Redprogress.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  443.5 KB

Lots of progress and final assembly. Basically everything from the firewall forward is done with the exception of bleeding the brakes and clutch. I made my own longtube headers and built a full x pipe exhaust system with pieces from Summit. Its a couple of flex pipes at the collectors, an x pipe kit, flow master knockoffs, and a couple of 5.0 Foxbody tailpipes (which were $55 ea!). It is really nice having them a few miles away and I'm usually there once or twice a week getting parts for work builds. I painted the wheels, added a 1/4" spacer up front for clearance on the balljoint. Caster, camber, & toe is set and I got some sweet spherical bushings from Opentracker Racing for my strut rods. I have most of the wiring finished. The driveshaft was made and installed. Air intake is done and mounted and sensors added. Grille was fixed, repaired, restored, and topped off with a 70 AMX emblem that mounts in the center instead of the side. Fluids have been added and topped off. One of the best scores of my build was finding a pair of original "Randall Rambler" dealership license plate frames. They were the AMC version of Mr Norm/Yenko/Royal. It is almost time to fire it and then drive it!!
      Name:  redheaders.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  369.5 KBName:  Redexh.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  332.5 KBName:  Redfront.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  391.8 KBName:  redgrilleb4.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  413.0 KBName:  Red3:4.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  561.9 KBName:  RedRandall.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  214.5 KB

You've made a lot of nice progress. the suspension is looking good!
      Wayne

3 years, almost to the day, this former shell of a car is now a running and driving pro touring machine! There was a lot of little things that got done since my last update. A few electrical item changes. A lot of trips to Summit Racing for various AN fittings and braided lines there are no leaks in the clutch or brake systems. It finally started up without a lot of issues. Although I did wind up having to get the injectors cleaned and flow tested as one was leaking. Computers and fuel injection are new to me so the learning curve on diagnosing problems is pretty fun actually but it takes longer to fix & research things. The exhaust system sounds really good. My first drive was really short as the fans were not coming on. There is a lot of little things to do that have gotten put off in lieu of getting it running and driving. The bumpers need to be tucked in tighter, front spoiler attached, and the glass installed. Also on the short list is getting the interior sorted (door panels redone, installing sun visors, adding power windows and locks, etc) and put a few more miles on it.
      Name:  Redsidevw.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  648.6 KBName:  030B9707-91F4-4F09-9F7C-E84AF78E2ED1.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  522.3 KBName:  Redfrontls.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  539.1 KB

Name:  Redreardone.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  369.1 KB

Awesome build! Love the wheels and the stance.

Such a cool car. I like it a lot.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Progress update. Seems like the last 10% of build seems to take so much time, lots of little things. Wiper motor and linkage is installed. Bumpers painted, adjusted, and installed. Scoops and screens painted and installed. A friend had a perfect Javelin hood that I was able to trade out some labor for. I was able to take a cracked & cut up original center pad and made it functional with air vents, a radio, and a map light. All of the glass is finally in the car. AMC door windows are glued onto the shoes which makes them a pain in the ass to replace, especially when there was no glass to measure from in the first place. I was able to acquire, restore, and install all of the interior plastic trim pieces.
      Door panels will be redone next.
      There have been a couple of set back, of course. The rear end rotated upward into the floor when the welds broke because somebody forgot to tighten/torque down the u bolts nuts. So that came out to be rewelded by a more skilled welder than me...ohh and I made sure the u bolts nuts are torqued now. The hydraulic clutch cylinder locked up last week and now its not bleeding correctly or giving me the pedal feel I had prior. So thats where I'm at right now. Drives good, has plenty of power, and is getting closer to being a reliable driver.
      Name:  RedAMXFrt.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  582.0 KBName:  RedAMXFr.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  656.5 KBName:  AMXRearSpol.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  385.2 KBName:  AMXRearOutAgn.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  287.6 KBName:  AMXDash.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  240.4 KB

These cars are tough to find parts for.

I like so much about this car! Keep it up
      Aldin
      1969 Camaro (Weapon of Choice) in the works

We don't see enough of these cars. I am enjoying this build.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com