Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: New Zealand
      that's a cool story man and great that you can build what you want.

thanks for updating the tread.

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks Motown 454 and Sheepers!

I finally got my tires mounted and balanced! Quite bit of difference compared to the 14" Magnums and BFG's that were on it.
      For those looking to save some $ I'll continue my previous build costs.
      Those rims are $99 at Summit and they can be drilled in 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 I believe. They are American Racing VN 504, 17x9.
      The 255/40/17 Falken Azenis RT615K+ (200 treadwear) are only $130 a tire and are $50 cheaper a tire than the 275's. I was planning on running 275 squared but a $200 savings will be worth it for now, as that paid for the headers!
      Name:  AMXredtires.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  111.0 KB

Project update: Rebuilt & restored the steering column (new bearings & switch) and finally got to use the new Luisi wheel I've had for years. I swapped out the motor mounts for a nice set made by 68_amx_ls over on Instagram. With those in I was able to get the headers to fit. The drivers side was almost meant to be there, passenger required the BFH to the floor to get things clearance. Headers are Hedman 68020 (for GM A/G body). Trans is mounted onto the stock crossmember that's been moved back on the mounts. I was also able to replace the missing lower crossmember and get the radiator mounted.
      Fan is a new BeCool for 01 Camaro as are the fans and radiator hoses.

This weeks totals:
      Radiator ($180 Craigslist), Fan assy ($99 Ebay), Hoses ($18 RockAuto), Motor mounts ($15 RockAuto), Headers ($150 Craigslist), Crossmember ($18 Summit), Column switch ($35 Ebay, (I had the bearings)
      Name:  RedRad.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  121.2 KBName:  RedHead.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  88.3 KBName:  Recloumn.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  143.9 KB

Test fitting lights, grille, and a 1970 center mounted grille emblem... shop cat approves. This grille is cracked/broken in spots so I may cut the opening for the lights into it. Headlights will have turn signals in them and the turn signal openings in the bumper will become brake cooling ducts.
      Name:  Redmockupfrt.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  99.3 KB

Can a Kelvinator swallow 275s on the front? I don't think you can get the rims at that price anymore btw, so you really lucked out.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

68Formula, I'll let you know once I get my suspension kit installed. Yes I did, Summit has several part #'s for those wheels with only one showing a price and June delivery date. Hopefully they get them back in stock again soon so I can buy a couple of spares.

Looks like a cool project. No many of us weirdos to build AMC cars.

Thanks 5spd540! AMC's are unique, that's for sure!

I built a "Monte Carlo" style bar to brace the shock towers from flexing. I can't drill the mounting holes for it until the coil springs come out, hopefully the front end kit comes soon!
      Name:  IMG_4144.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  142.5 KB

Looking awesome!! hopefully mine will be out of paint jail soon and can catch up with you.

Thanks tonyuh60! I hope yours get out of paint jail soon too, that's a super clean car!

Quick update. I got the boat out of the garage, so I now have a lot more room to work on the car! That will make the wiring go much quicker, which is next up on the list! Hopefully the front end kit will come soon and I can get that donk looking front end level with the rear end. It is definitely lighter up front!
      Name:  IMG_4159.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  163.3 KBName:  IMG_4161.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  141.8 KB

These pictures are pretty self explanatory of my current progress. It sure is nice to have room to work. I have used a Ron Francis harness in the past on a Road Runner and now a Painless harness in this. I find the Painless harness along with the 100 page manual to be very user friendly and well laid out. The kids are having fun learning how to cut, crimp and solder wires.
      Name:  IMG_4164.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  109.4 KBName:  IMG_4165.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  148.2 KB

Still plugging away when I get time. It is getting much closer now. Alt and P/S mounted thanks to a ICT high mount kit. P/S hoses done, thanks to a Dirty Dingo adapter fitting I was able to use the stock AMC hose. P/S cooler in and plumbed too. I got the clutch master cylinder and bracket mounted along with the Wilwood master cylinder. Most of wiring is done. I added some turn signal & high beam indicators to the hooded gauge overlay. Biggest projects on the list are the welding the trans tunnel in, exhaust, plumbing the fuel & brake lines, and final welding the rear end in. Front suspension is ready to go in once I get a kit. I just got the missing piece of side glass that I needed, so that will go in soon too but its low on the priority list. Pics don't reflect its current state, sorry. Any progress is progress.
      Name:  AMXindicators.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  280.9 KBName:  AMXpsalt.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  346.2 KB

Better update picture. This shows a little of a lot. I cut the AMC rad top plate to fit around the BeCool radiator. I put a P/S cool between the drivers headlight and radiator, similar to how the Trans Am Javelins did. The clutch master cylinder and mounting plate (laying on the cowl in the previous pic) are a kit from McLeod for a Chevelle that I adapted. I started working on the tunnel this afternoon. Turns out I'll be able to use the AMC auto shifter mount as a shifter boot mount while covering up the large hole it would have left if removed.
      Name:  IMG_4406.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  357.7 KB

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 826
Size:  989.0 KB

68Formula, I love it! Great movie!

Here is some better detail on the McLeod hydraulic clutch set up I used and how it all fits. Its a kit (sorry, no before pics) that comes with everything to retrofit a Chevelle including the pedal. Seeing how AMC used a lot of GM stuff I realized the clutch pedals are very similar and use the same diameter shaft that the pedal rotates on. It comes with a mounting plate the goes between the master cylinder and the firewall. The oval hole thats required for the slave cylinder is right where the lower bolt hole for the AMC pedals go, so its a matter "enlarging" it to fit and trimming the pedal housing.The AMC clutch pedal could work with some mods, but the Chevelle one is slimmer and everything mounts up to it perfectly. It is just a matter of getting the shaft spacers where you want them. I'll be putting some aluminum pedal pads on the pedals to keep a standard look to the pedals. I just need to mount that fluid reservoir and thats all done!

Pics show the engine compartment side and interior views of it all mounted, along with the McLeod part #, and another shot of the p/s cooler setup. I have the tunnel mocked into place and the side plates cut out, but the trans needs to come out before welding it all in.
      Name:  IMG_4410.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  273.9 KBName:  IMG_4411.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  341.0 KBName:  IMG_4412.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  296.6 KBName:  IMG_4414.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  309.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 813Demon340 View Post
      68Formula, I love it! Great movie!

Here is some better detail on the McLeod hydraulic clutch set up I used and how it all fits.
      For sure, a great movie! Let me know how you like the McLeod hydraulic clutch works out. I've been considering one of those. Keep the updates coming!

It looks good.I like the spot for the cooler.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

68Formula, I sure will. The kit is pretty nice and complete which is what attracted me to it. Motown 454, Thanks!

Ok so I'm trying to figure out where to mount a couple of things and could use some input.
      1) The master switch. The battery is in the trunk and I can run the positive cable through the car easily, I'm just not sure where a good place to mount it would be. Console area was what I was thinking as there is not much room on the dash. Plus it would make for a short run to the starter.
      2) Brake lines and proportioning valve. The Wilwood valve I have is designed to be mounted next to the master. I'd rather have the rear adjuster in the car. Console or drivers side rocker somewhere?

My shut off is near the battery that way it kills the power right there, no full power to the front. I run a 5 amp fuse to jump the shut off to keep computer, radio station memory on.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com