Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      I like out of the box cars, subscribed!

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Nice Score!
      I have an aluminum flywheel with the replaceable steel friction plate on my 401 and I love how fast it revs.

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks HotRod47!

Mike, Yeah I was pretty excited to find that. Looks like I need start looking for a T5 to swap in!
      Most of the stuff I bought was what I was missing, or needed, for my car oddly enough once I sorted through it all. I have a bunch of the extra parts on ebay right now, so I'll be updating the total next time.

I'm a big fan of the AMX, looking forward to your project.Appreciate anytime you spend sharing your efforts with us.And I regret selling my first AMX, a 1970/360/auto.

Thanks Railroad Bob! 70 AMX's really have great styling and one of the best hoods of the musclecar era.

No update last week as I was working to get all the parts sold, boxed shipped, and new parts ordered.
      This weeks update:
      I bought a 70 390 crank, rods, forged pistons, and bearings from the same guy who I bought the other parts from. I also bought a fiberglass front bumper and spoiler combo, a 3 link rear suspension, correct bullet/Talbot side mirrors, wink mirror, and 13" front disc brake set up.

I sold a lot of the extra parts that I'm not going to use too, Thank You Ebay!!. Some were from the car like the seat belts, seats, fender, and other parts that made some restorers very happy. Others were from the parts lot I got, such as the flywheel, horn button, sail panel retainers, rear side glass, etc. That also freed up a bunch of storage space.

Work on the car:
      I was able to repair the DS tail light housing studs. Fixed the broken interior rear trim panels (they almost always break). Redyed the interior trim panels. Repaired and braced the cracked dash panel. Removed the battery tray. Tweaked & leveled the hood center. Got the driveshaft back and installed.
      In an effort for some inspiration I rattle canned the sail panel the red, white, and blue layout. Figured it couldn't hurt since it was 6 colors already, I mean whats 3 more at that point!

This weeks plan: rear window straps, hood & trunk pins, change intake.

New totals:

Previous cost $4565

Bought: crank rods, mirrors, brakes, suspension, bumper, etc +845
      $5410

Sold: A/C parts, seats, belts, fender, flywheel, misc parts, -1068

New total: $4342

Previous weight total: 2996 lbs
      -removed front bumper and batt tray -8 lbs

New weight total: 2988 lbs

Name:  Frtspoiler2.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  309.9 KBName:  RWB.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  243.9 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I always liked those cars, sweet

Thanks Dragonfly, they are pretty unique!

If you love fabrication and appreciate Monte Python, then you HAVE to watch "Project Binky". A couple of talented English fab guys are taking a Turbo AWD Celica and making it fit into an old school Mini.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1nU9IJsoM

Quick update, how to make window straps.

Get a 4 pieces of scrap metal, cut 2 pieces roughly the width of the aluminum. Weld them to the other to pieces of scarp squaring them up and leave some over hanging off of the ends. Grind flush.

Now you have the dies for your step.

Put one on the line where you want the bend to start, tape it on to keep it tight. Put the other die on the opposite side, with a little gap between the dies to help form the bend, tape to secure.

Take them to the vise and close it tight. Now your step is done.

Take the tape off of one side first, turn it 180 then slide it down to the other end of the strap, this will keep you from having your step going the wrong way. Then repeat the other steps and you're done.

Name:  Die1.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  167.3 KBName:  Die2.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  198.2 KBName:  Die3.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  143.3 KBName:  Die4.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  129.8 KB

Progress update: I got the car running and driving, trans was bad. I did drive it around the cul de sac in reverse with no brakes. I'm committed to the LS swap now that I found a buyer for the engine and my trans was toast. Glad to see the motor going into a nice 68 AMX that needed an engine. The front suspension should be here soon, disc brakes are waiting, rear suspension is going in this week. I got the crunched panel removed from the passenger side and welded in the replacement today.

Short term list: cut out & replace drivers side lower rear 1/4. Remove trunnion set up and swap in new A arm set up. Mock up front brakes.

New totals:

Previous total: $4565
      -sold console 80
      -sold clutch 234
      -sold dash panel 20
      -sold headers 102
      -sold brakes 200
      -sold motor 2000

New total $ 2636

Previous weight: 2988
      -removed console 5
      -removed brakes 80 (40 lbs per side)
      -removed master & booster 21
      -removed stock radiator 21

New total: 2861 lbs

Name:  AMXproject1.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  206.2 KBName:  AMXpatch.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  96.5 KB

Nice, haven't checked in here in a while!
      As long as you're sitting there, welder in hand, may want to consider some seam welding, gussets, sub-frame connectors, etc.
      Some of the factory welds were, um, a bit less than ideal. At least quality control back then covered the visible bad welds in gobs of seam sealer.
      Here are a few pics of my junk way back when for some ideas, I worked with a welder friend and put more than 50 one to two inch seem welds all over my car where structural panels were joined together to supliment what was done at the factory.
      Name:  100_0215.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  184.9 KB
      Name:  100_0271.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  94.2 KB
      Name:  100_0272.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  147.6 KB

Home-made subframe connectors. Notched into the floor. Super simple design.
      Name:  100_0275.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  200.2 KB

It's coming along, you might want to turn the heat up on your welder though. Just a friendly tip
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

dig the build what are you doing for suspension?

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it! I hadn't looked on here since my last update.
      Z06kiinSBF, thank you for the tip, I will try that. I have a lot to learn with welding so any tips like that are appreciated.

Rod, I'll be using the best front set up made for AMC's from Mike343sharpstick!! He makes an A arm system that replaces the trunnion set up. They are the gray & black parts in the picture. I have a few other things to get before I tear out the trunnion set up. In the rear I'm using a custom 3 link system.

Mike, I will be taking your and Z06's advice and adding some seam welds, once i fill up my empty bottle. I really like your subframe connectors and thats close to what I was thinking about doing.

Honestly life caught up my build and it needed go on the back burner while I collect parts. I'm in the process of selling my business right now. We also had a family friend, whose daughters are close with my daughter, with terminal brain cancer take a turn for the worst. Very tough when she is 32yr old single mom with 6 and 9 yr old girls. Life sure has ways of putting things into perspective.

Name:  AMXfrtstf.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  118.8 KB

Hey look at that! Can't wait to see it in place.
      Can't wait to see your Brake solution come together too.
      Sorry to hear about the dark cloud floating around your area, we've had a few unfortunate things going on here as well. I find it a little therapeutic to cut some metal and make sparks.

]Finally some progress to update. Sometimes in life things are more important than cars. I took a break for awhile, threw the cover on it and changed gears for a bit and enjoyed life. I recently went to the Shelby convention at Sonoma Raceway and came away motivated after some open track sessions in a very fast Boss 302 Laguna Seca, seeing some incredible Shelbys of all years, as well as one of the coolest AMX's I have ever seen.

Now its time to get back after it. I got mike343sharpstick front suspension kit installed and it is a really impressive upgrade! I also got the rest of the suspension going back together. All new steering parts are coming too. Engine compartment is mostly bare metal and extra holes are being filled. More coming soon, here is the AMX I saw.

Name:  Stripped.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  182.8 KBName:  Drylndinst.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  174.5 KBName:  Badamx4.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  231.2 KBName:  Badamx1.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  210.5 KB

Hellcat AMX

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1269
Size:  120.1 KB

REALLY like AMXes! Saw this one a few weeks back at the Syracuse Nationals. Sadly, I was so rushed I only got 2 pics. Nice car, best of luck with the LS swap!
      Leon Reed
      1978 Trans Am
      LS1/4L60E

my build..updated 11-21-13 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...8-TA-LS1-build

Thanks Reedid, that is a badass AMX! Thanks for posting that, I'll have to keep an eye open for more info on that one.

I got the steering parts replaced with all new Moog parts and Proforged tierod sleeves.
      An AMC tip is to use a 70+ center link as they are beefier than the 69 and below (which you can see in the pic).

I found out that I already had a quick ratio steering box which was a nice plus.

The control arms are done and boxed, new bushings installed.

I took the automatic pedal assembly and added a clutch pedal to it. I cut the brake pedal down and added some Sparco pedal pads I got with all the AMC stuff.

I also got a lot of the undercoating and residue removed. I used a torch and a scraper to get the big stuff off. Then I used charcoal lighter fluid and scotchbrite pad to get residue off, which was really easy.

Name:  Arms.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  242.1 KBName:  Pedals.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  216.4 KBName:  Floors.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  193.5 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Have ever been to any Vintage Races with the Trans Am cars of that era for ideas.

Definitely following this build. Im building a javelin with an ls, gutted with Tremec magnium. really curious on what your weight will be after the swap.

Zspoiler, yes anytime I can go as there are so many ideas and inspiration there!. I have been fortunate enough to see the 68 #4 Kaplan car, the 70 Donahue car, Buzz Dyers #7 Javelin and the championship winning 71 AMX. Along with a host of the other SVRA Trans Am cars. I ironically the day the AMX was delivered to my house, I was at the Historic Races in Sonoma. The plan is to paint the chassis "tub" Traco grey. Here is a pic of one of the few vintage racing AMX's thats seldom seen.

Shawn0331, I'd love to see some pics of your build! What are you doing for suspension?
      I'm curious too about the weight. I'm wanting to keep it under 3000 and as close to 3000 wet with a driver as I can. My issue is trying to lighten it while keeping weight in the rear.
      Name:  AMXraceflairside.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  305.4 KB

great to see another AMC product being built, looks like the weird cars are coming around finally, I built this one for my wife, Ls powered, engine set back into the firewall for a 49/51 weight balance, independent rear suspension, 315s on all 4 corners and the Viking electronic shocks!!

keep building and keep us up to date, if you have any question let me know

Name:  36961343_2140583049499857_6815639041736704000_o.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  194.5 KB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com