Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Setting up mechanical linkage for T56 magnum

I'm setting up a T56 Magnum behind a SBC -- quicktime bellhousing, stock Z-bar linkage with spherical rod ends, and mcleod RST clutch. I just test drove it and it feels great but the range of clutch pedal for engagement is quite narrow -- maybe 1/2" from starting to engage to fully engaged and the pedal pressure is medium, certainly heavier than the "lighter than stock" that mcleod describes.

Any suggestions on adjusting either the clutch engagement range or the pedal weight?

Thanks!
      1970 Chevelle - CA car, 45k orig miles
      427 Shafiroff, T56 magnum, 12 bolt 3.90
      Rick's restomod tank, ZL1 pump

Country Flag: United States
      I think McLeod told me the clutch releases around .600 to .800". Expect a short pedal travel.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Make sure TO bearing is fully disengaged from pressure plate fingers. If using long TO it might not be.
      '67 Chevelle LS1 T56
      '70 Chevelle 454 stock

Country Flag: United States
      What release bearing are you using? I have never had any luck using the short bearing that normally comes with the clutch kit. I only use the SKF N1086-SA long bearing. The clutch manufacturers all seem to prefer to supply the short bearing and adjustable pivot ball but that combo has always been problematic. Also, what clutch fork are you using? If you use the Speedway Motors heavy duty fork you can use a rod end there as well.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ork,37080.html
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by downl50 View Post
      I'm setting up a T56 Magnum behind a SBC -- quicktime bellhousing, stock Z-bar linkage with spherical rod ends, and mcleod RST clutch. I just test drove it and it feels great but the range of clutch pedal for engagement is quite narrow -- maybe 1/2" from starting to engage to fully engaged and the pedal pressure is medium, certainly heavier than the "lighter than stock" that mcleod describes.

Any suggestions on adjusting either the clutch engagement range or the pedal weight?

Thanks!
      Call Jody's Transmission in Pennsylvania (610) 413-8015. He might have a linkage solution for sale for you. Sincerely Gary

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com