Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Help audio noob

Help audio noob

So I am ok with electrical but know almost nothing about audio except the basics. I have an old but new PPI PCX 5800 amp. I had a 6600 ( I think it was) that blew out and got this as a warranty replacement years ago and never put it in anything. Hoping some of you guys are familiar with this amp and can both recommend some budget friendly speakers that match this amp and tips on installing myself.

The car is a 70 Camaro. My initial thoughts are some sort of speaker in the doors, 6x9s in the deck and a single 10 or 12 either in the trunk or decklid mount if possible. My music preference is all over the map but mostly various types of rock music. I'm not looking for big old car rattling boom bass. I like it clean crisp and hard hitting. I recall my old amp running a couple jl audio 10w0 subs that I was happy with.

So guys please help me set this up. I would like to avoid going to a shop to have it completed but I will bite the bullet if that's what it seems I should do. If more details are needed I will answer any questions the best I can. I will even ditch the amp if it's not worth it but would like to use it to build off of and I'm not married to any particular size or make of speakers. My only requirement is that this is done with budget in mind. Not cheapest possible, more like best value for the dollar stuff.
      Mike A
      69 Chevelle
      496 Big Block

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Mike,

I've never been a fan of having rear speakers. Just get a nice set of 6.5" fronts and a subwoofer. You will be amazed how good that can sound. I can't really recommend any brands, but in the GTO I have 15 year old Boston Acoustic 6.5" 2 way system. In the Cougar I run shallow mount Polk Audio 6.5" 2 ways...Both sound great.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks for the help
      Mike A
      69 Chevelle
      496 Big Block

Look up Crutchfield.com and give them a call. They spent about an hour with me on the phone and together we built what will be a kicka$$ sound system for my '68 Camaro - 10 JL Audio speakers and 3 JL Audio amps. You also might want to check out The Shop LLC for a pair of rear deck speakers and subwoofer combo. Not sure if they have stuff for a '70, but worth a shot - heard their stuff for 1st gen is amazing and looks awesome too.

Crutchfield is a good resource but they are crazy expensive. Sealed box 10" sub in the back and a quality component set up front would make a nice simple system.

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      Look up Crutchfield.com and give them a call. They spent about an hour with me on the phone and together we built what will be a kicka$$ sound system for my '68 Camaro - 10 JL Audio speakers and 3 JL Audio amps. You also might want to check out The Shop LLC for a pair of rear deck speakers and subwoofer combo. Not sure if they have stuff for a '70, but worth a shot - heard their stuff for 1st gen is amazing and looks awesome too.
      Wow, 10 speakers in a 1st Gen? Mind sharing your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Crutchfield is a good resource but they are crazy expensive. Sealed box 10" sub in the back and a quality component set up front would make a nice simple system.
      They're on par price wise with Amazon, for the most part. They still have to pay for the tech guys, and all the free stuff that goes with a head unit purchase. Still cheaper than the local stereo shop.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I agree they have great tech and that is worth some more money. I have bought quite a bit of JL stuff in the last few years. I know just one amp I bought was around 1k at crutchfield and I got it for around 700 elsewhere. My components were around 120 cheaper elsewhere. I will say that if I need to use their tech service I try to buy there as well, not real ethical if you don't.

Checked out the shop llc. Doesn't look like any 2nd gen stuff available but I'm liking their rear deck covers and kick panels
      Mike A
      69 Chevelle
      496 Big Block

Haha yeah. Guess I failed to mention that since I had a roll bar in there - I decided to build a center console that ran through the entire car and turn the back seat into sound central. I'll try to post the link to my car but in the nutshell I will have (2) 6-1/2" up front in the kick panels running off an amp.
      All the rest of this is in place of the back seat -
      (2) 8" subs powered by a 2nd amp
      (1) component kit consisting of (2) 6-1/2" drivers, (2) 4" mid range drivers and (2) silk tweeters powered by a 3rd amp.
      Crutchfield was priced very fairly on the JL products I bought. I looked on Amazon and even google shopping and everyone to be within a couple dollars. Add in the free shipping from crutchfield, the black friday sale that I waited for to buy everything and their knowledge, I believe I fared really well. This may not hold true to other brands of speakers, but as for the JL's - they are very competitively priced.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Project-1BADSS

Quote Originally Posted by 69496 View Post
      Checked out the shop llc. Doesn't look like any 2nd gen stuff available but I'm liking their rear deck covers and kick panels
      If nothing else, now you have a few ideas as to how to make that package tray area work

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      If nothing else, now you have a few ideas as to how to make that package tray area work
      Absolutely. After posting saw the thread on systems for 2nd gens. I've never worked with fiberglass and while I considered myself mechanically inclined I doubt anything I try to make myself in fiberglass would turn out to well. I was going to go simple and put some 6 1/2 speakers in door panels but when I checked my panels out it would not work unless I completely changed them out to a different style.

My current plan is to shop around for some kick panels that I can put speakers in, some speakers in the deck and a 10" sub in a box behind rear seat. I'm looking at morel Maximo component for front, coaxial for the rear deck and a JL audio 10w3 for my sub. My sub puts out 40w rms x 4 and I can bridge the 5/6 channel for 400w at 2 ohms. What little I have found about the sub I got says good things and that it truly puts out the rated watts unlike other amps.
      Mike A
      69 Chevelle
      496 Big Block

As far as head unit I'm a little lost. I didn't think they did much when amp is hooked up but finding they can have a big impact on sound quality. All I'm really looking for is a head unit that has rca outputs for front/rear/subwoofer so I can tune the system easier. Was considering a lower end Alpine but would be open to suggestions for a head unit. I'm not totally switched over to the new age with iPods and digital music storage so still would like a CD player

Mike A
      69 Chevelle
      496 Big Block

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com