Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

65 Impala - Project Spare Time...

Evening all,

I'm not much of a build thread kind of guy typically, but maybe this will help keep me motivated to get our first attempt at a restomod completed. This is the first project of this magnitude for my wife and me, but not our firest project. We currently have a miata with a doc all aluminum Toyota v8 with a 5 speed that we threw together a few years back.

Our build-
      Pretty simple objective. Take bucket-o-parts 1965 327 3 speed Impala from out west, put it back together with a sack full of modern parts, and enjoy the ride!

At this point, the plan is LS power, 4l80e, coilovers, vette wheels, modern brakes and interior, and who knows what else.

I'll add some pics of the limited progress shortly.

Here are a few pics from when I initially got the car November of 2015.

After a threw a few previously blasted body panels on it...

Mocked up the C5 vette wagon wheels that I got for a steal

2006 GTO power booster mounted.

Current state. Front part of frame wire brushed, engine sitting in place, ridetech upper control arms installed, Viking coilovers in place. Also, reman 98 Jeep steering box, and 80 GM truck rag joint.

I actually made bearing blocks to hold a set of spherical bearings instead of the stock rubber strut rod bushings. I also have the stock lower control arms out to modify themail to lower the coilover mount 1.5 inches to allow better ride height adjustment, and beef them up to support the weight of the car through the coilovers. I will get some pics once they're complete.

I got the passenger side lower control arm modified and beefed up for the viking coil overs. I'm pretty happy with the results, and I didn't have to spend $750 on GW or RT lower arms. I throw up a few more pics, if there ends up being any interest.

I have the 4.8 and 4l80e mocked up. And the front suspension installed. I had to throw some wheels on it to check ride height in the front (still need to throw on the RT rear springs).

What do you think, too low?

Hey where did you get and what size spherical bearings are you using? I've been thinking about doing this myself on my 69.

FKS12 bearings. I actually got the off of ebay, can be found on Amazon, etc. As well.

2 thumbs way up! My dad had a 66 Impala when I was younger, I really wanted that car but he ended up selling it. Love those "boxy" years!

Have you got a rendering done? What are visual plans?
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

No rendering, but would really like to develop one! Removing the lower perimeter trim and a few other things. I'm thinking of working on a perforated stainless custom grill insert, but that may be somewhat ambitious. Planning on stock bumpers at this point, not sure if I'll attempt to tighten them up to the body and have them re-chromed or not.

The wife and I are thinking a dark gunmetal. We had an "anthracite grey" Acura a few years back and loved the color.

Interior will be a mix of modern and classic. I'm thinking classic dash layout with Dakota Digital drop in gauge cluster. Stock auto steering column.

Seats will be powered, heated black leather from a Deville Concours (front, with matching rear bench which we scored from a local junkyard for $100). I'll probably build a custom center console, and door panels when the time comes.

I have the C5 chrome wagon wheels, which I really like, and they were great from a budget perspective aswell. I'm planning on C5 brakes all the way around as well, possibly red to highlight the big brake upgrade.

This is probably the first time I've communicated the ideas that have been rolling around in my head. These details are so far off in the distance at this point.

Not too low. NICE!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Nicely done! And yes post more pics. There is never enough pics on the big cars.

I've been continuing on with it, slowly but surely.

I got the front GTO caliper brackets fab'do and bolted on. Should be a pretty nice setup (basically C5 vette spec at all 4 corners).

I also got the tires mounted on the wheels, and got them installed on the car, along with the adjustable upper links, track bar, and ridetech rear spring setup. I am going to box in and modify the rear trailing arms, and may have to move the spring perches up, or purchase longer springs. The ridetech setup on stock trailing arms sets the pinch weld right at 6.5 inches, without fuel, or any interior, etc.

This pic is at 7.75 inches with a jack under the rear frame rail. Close to what I want ride height to be. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of the 285s in the wheelwell, 11.4 inch section width seems to fit ok.

Love it. How much clearance do you have with the tire.

It's been a while, been working on it though.

Stripped down to the frame, sent it off with inner fenders, crossmember rad support, etc. To get blasted, zinc'd, the powder coated satin black. When I got it back in got right back at it by reassembling the front and rear suspension.

I ended up wire brushing and scraping all the under coating and New Mexico 50 year old dust caked on the bottom of the entire body, luckily the metal was beautiful under the undercoat! No surprises. I completed the floor replacement activity in the last 2 weeks.

On another note, I ended up picking up a 54k L96 (Ly6) 6.0 for the car, and will be camping it, and running it NA with a Fitech efi, and hoping for 400whp or so. I actually bought 2 L96 engines, one for the impala, and one for my father in laws 69 z28 that will be getting the protouring treatment in the next 6 Months or so. I'll quit ranting so you can look st he pics.

https://goo.gl/photos/huYkpfoPJe8sBA5D6

https://goo.gl/photos/TsoukH8yVisUB8TH8

https://goo.gl/photos/DrPSrL74vyaBVT7Y7

https://goo.gl/photos/rTyQMuGZAk7L45is8

https://goo.gl/photos/7hPyhZw4qYh87UPY9

https://goo.gl/photos/8ZXht3yF9AAvLuQT9
      Last edited by El tigre; 11-19-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Trying to make urls into img.... not working help?

Got the body put back on the frame. Just in time for the snow the come down!

Nice project! Wondering what oil pan , mounts etc you are using for engine install? Thanks.

I'm using a moroso 20142 oil pan, and Metaltek manufacturing mounts. I will try to add some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by El tigre View Post

Photo links are not working.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Fixed them. Sorry about that. The L96 has been cleaned up and painted, as well as the 4l80e.

I have a bunch of goodies on order right now.

- Circle D 2800 converter
      - Custom Tick Performance cam for the L96
      - Fitech Ultimate LS with trans control

Getting really excited to bring her down the road in 2017!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com