Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Looking for first hand experience - fuel pumps/pick-ups

I've been running an external walbro with the factory pick-up in my 1968 GTO with a LS1 for a few years now. I have two problems:

1) gets hot and the engine runs like poo during idle after a long cruise
      2) Fuel starvation issues with less than 1/2 tank on cloverleaf ramps or auto-x

I have tried moving the location of the pump lower in the chassis, swapping for another pump, replacing the filter/regulator, replacing the fuel pick-up sock, and using thicker wire to feed the pump current all to no avail.

I am looking to see if anyone has first hand accounts of performance driving with the vaporworx, tanks inc, or hydromat solutions. I'm leaning towards vaporworx because I like to use OEM solutions whenever possible, but I would like to hear from someone who is using it, and using it for more than just a show car or casual driver. I searched and saw a lot of posts along the lines of "buy this, it's great!" or, "aeromotive sucks!" I would like to hear a more detailed account if y'all don't mind sharing.

Thanks, everyone!

Good info here with comments from CarlC...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...maro-tank.html

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks for the link.

What has your experience been with the baffle/pump system in your GTO during autocross or track driving?

I've installed 4 different vaporworx systems, and have driven those cars in all sorts of situations. Highly recommended. Carl makes the best fuel delivery systems you can buy for our vehicles.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I made the Walbro work for my track autoX car. Had starvation on turns before the improvements, but not idle problems. I've run 20 min track sessions, highway, and stopNgo city driving in warm weather in FL and haven't had fuel temp probs. For that seems you need to see if you can insulate the lines better.

I wasn't aware of the vaporworx until I had started on the accumulator tank/crossover pump idea.

Tank is a 20 gal Ebay special that I modified. Accumulator (2 liter -- aka surge tank) was from CM racing i think-I modified it too. Crossover pumps and mesh pickups from Summit--along with AN hoses and fittings. Put a charcoal canister on it to get rid of the fumes (*1/4 poly line to manifold vac, not 1/8"--typo in diagram).

-Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

I have Tanks Inc tank on my 67 Firebird. My opinion, if you're building a cruiser, the Tanks Inc will work. I took mine to USCA event couple of years ago, and suffer fuel starvation doing autocross, with the gas gauge showing just under 1/2 tank.

Cruiser - Tanks Inc or Holley's hydromat
      Street/track - vaporworx. Personally I have Rick's tank Retromod tank with Gen5 module and corner pickups waiting to go in my car.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by pushrod36 View Post
      Thanks for the link.

What has your experience been with the baffle/pump system in your GTO during autocross or track driving?
      I've had zero fuel delivery issues in my GTO on the track. Back when I did my swap there were no "bolt in" options. My tank is a stock replacement tank that was modified by Rock Valley with one of their spiral sumps that goes into a deepened part of the tank. The stock a-body tanks are pretty shallow.

The Cougar is not a corner carver, but with the driving I have done, zero issues with the Tanks, Inc. tank and sump. Not saying it will work perfectly for autocross, but others seem to run it without issues.

If I had to do it again, I would be calling CarlC for a solution using a modern module, either in a fixed pressure output or pwm controlled, depending on what I was doing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I have a vaporworx set up for 2 years now and absolutely love it! I also bought the pump controller that slows the pump down when not needed.
      Interesting part is no return line, NO overheating problems and NO starvation problems.
      Would definitely do it again if doing a new setup.
      Tom

vaporworx on my brother's 66 c10. Still ran like a champ with 1/4" - not quarter gallon - of fuel from the bottom of the tank. Brother-in-law's 66 mustang running Holley's RetroFit fuel module I've driven to about a gallon of gas left - based on what it took to fill up afterwards - with no starvation issues, however this is more of a crusier car.
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension
      Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56

Quote Originally Posted by pushrod36 View Post

1) gets hot and the engine runs like poo during idle after a long cruise
      2) Fuel starvation issues with less than 1/2 tank on cloverleaf ramps or auto-x
      These two of the three primary reasons I got into this silly business ;-)

#3 was that after failing multiple pumps in one year, there had to be a better way.

Most everything vaporworx does is centered around the OE fuel module. Most modern GM, Ford, and Chrysler modules use a common hat fitment and pwm control that makes it a bit easier to work out the details.

If there was a better, less expensive, and more reliable method of fuel delivery the OE's, with fuel R&D budgets likely larger than most aftermarket fueling companies revenue, would have figured it out. BMW, Mercedes, etc. all use similar designs with excellent fuel delivery down to zero liquid left in the tank.

In order for an electric pump to survive it needs fuel to act as a lubricant and coolant. From experience it does not take very many corner carving dry-pump occurrences for the pump to start down the death pathway. Even a cruiser going up a driveway at a low liquid level can have this problem. Once the pump is uncovered, the engine will loose power.
      Last edited by CarlC; 08-15-2017 at 07:37 AM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I run the Vaporworxs Tank with the pwm controller and ZL1 fuel bucket on my Supercharged LSA. fuel delivery is seamless with 9#'s of boost in all driving conditions......even sideways....LOL

Carl knows his business. My car has never hiccuped once. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another fuel solution from Vaporworxs.

Oh..BTW, he answered his phone on Saturday when I had a senior moment, was going to leave a message, and he picked up........THAT is customer service, and that speaks volumes....

T,

I realized that I never updated this with my results. I installed a Rick's tanks restomod tank with vaporworxs fuel system (including corner pick-ups). It's not cheap (~$1000 shipped). My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. I can autocross on about 1/8 tank of fuel, and all of my vapor lock issues are gone. Also, the pump is virtually silent.

It's great to hear that the system is working as expected Mike. Thanks for the feedback.

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com