Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by ProTouringCuda View Post
      I must say - very nice work! I'm partial to the first gen's (64.5-66 :: i know, some call 64.5-73 first gens - don't agree with that ) but you, my friend, have put together a fine specimen.
      Haha! I probably agree with you on that! I really like the 65-70 fastbacks/sportroofs best but also like any fine example of a 64.5-73 too. You have some excellent rides/projects also! Thanks for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by builttodrive View Post
      I thought the same thing. I knew I wasn't out anything to try and modify it by removing the rest of the grill and just like you said it gives a cleaner and meaner appearance. Thanks!
      I like the cleaner and meaner look.

Probably eat the bird whole now! j/k

Name:  IMG_5066.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  54.7 KB

I think I did get most of it lol! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey97D View Post
      I like the cleaner and meaner look.

Probably eat the bird whole now! j/k

The car is at the upholstery shop now and while I finish up a few front end items I've been thinking about some future wheel options. I found a wheel I really like by Billet Specialties a while back but was told it had been discontinued. Now I get a Black Friday deal from Billet Specialties sent from a friend but I didn't have a wheel picked out yet. For fun today I had time to kill and jumped on their web page and the wheel I liked is shown on the website again. What do you guys think of these?

Name:  570RX35SGGM20-F01.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  16.3 KB
      Name:  570RX35SGGM20-S02.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  14.0 KB

They're nice but it's also a design that can be found at many manufacturers if Billet Specialties lets you down.
      Tracey

That style of wheel seems dated imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      They're nice but it's also a design that can be found at many manufacturers if Billet Specialties lets you down.
      Yeah I know it's a pretty common style made by most manufacturers. I just like the unique spoke design on these that most don't have. I also like a wheel by Forgeline that is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      That style of wheel seems dated imho.

Don
      Definitely a design that's been around a while I agree. But my current wheel is too and I have had them on the car since 2004. Having a hard time finding a wheel I really like to replace it with. I really want a higher quality wheel than what I have currently in different sizes also. I'd like to stick to something in a five spoke or split five spoke design.

Hi. Your car is stunning and every mans dream. We are working on a 69 and having the same issues with the shock tower plates. We have ridetech coil overs and TCP export kit. Would you be able to tell me where you had those shock tower plates made? If I could call them and ask them to make a set exactly like yours then that would truly be a blessing. Your plates are EXACTLY what we need. Any help would be very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by builttodrive View Post
      I'm using the Total control full export brace. I made a custom shock tower plate that works with the mounting for the total control export brace but has the ridetech bolt pattern and the correct bore for the coil over shock mounting....it also works for the air system.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You! I plan to keep this one as long as I live and would like to see it be passed down to my kids one day.
      Hi. First time using the forum. I think I may have asked the question in the wrong place as it posted at the end. Your car is awesome. It’s done to perfection for sure. Those shock tower plates are awesome and exactly what we need... we have the ridetech coil overs and TCP export kit just like yours. Could you please let me know what company you used to cut/make those shock tower plates? I would love to call them and order an identical set for my 69. Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzlynn69 View Post
      Hi. First time using the forum. I think I may have asked the question in the wrong place as it posted at the end. Your car is awesome. It’s done to perfection for sure. Those shock tower plates are awesome and exactly what we need... we have the ridetech coil overs and TCP export kit just like yours. Could you please let me know what company you used to cut/make those shock tower plates? I would love to call them and order an identical set for my 69. Thank you for the help.
      No problem and thank you! I had a local machine shop make them for me. They have actually made a few sets for different cars over the years and we are actually having them make another set now. I can see if they would be interested in making and selling a set. The owner is a personal friend and he is making them for us as a favor.

Gauge Bezel in Brushed Steel Finish

I am really a fan of what you did with your gauge pod. I started disassembling mine yesterday and after disassembly and cleanup I have a few questions. On the metal surround that has woodgrain finish, did you remove the woodgrain vinyl before applying the brushed steel vinyl? The woodgrain vinyl appears thicker than modern wrap vinyls. My woodgrain on the gauge pod is in good condition, just wondering what you did and why. The plastic surround with the simulated texture is finished in a mate black finish, any recommendations on a rattle can product with the same color that will hold up? Last, the gauge bezels are finished in a mate dark blue grey metallic finish. Is there a rattle can product that would replicate what the factory did for these parts? For the rim of the bezels I was thinking of using a chrome silver metallic paint and a brush to try to replicate the original chrome finish. I was thinking of using the Testors Chrome Silver paint they make for models to do this.

With a little repainting I think the gauge pod should come out similar to yours. Now my clock panel is a whole different story as the metal with the woodgrain rusted severely. I am afraid I will have to go with repop stuff for those pieces.

Thanks,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
      I am really a fan of what you did with your gauge pod. I started disassembling mine yesterday and after disassembly and cleanup I have a few questions. On the metal surround that has woodgrain finish, did you remove the woodgrain vinyl before applying the brushed steel vinyl? The woodgrain vinyl appears thicker than modern wrap vinyls. My woodgrain on the gauge pod is in good condition, just wondering what you did and why. The plastic surround with the simulated texture is finished in a mate black finish, any recommendations on a rattle can product with the same color that will hold up? Last, the gauge bezels are finished in a mate dark blue grey metallic finish. Is there a rattle can product that would replicate what the factory did for these parts? For the rim of the bezels I was thinking of using a chrome silver metallic paint and a brush to try to replicate the original chrome finish. I was thinking of using the Testors Chrome Silver paint they make for models to do this.

With a little repainting I think the gauge pod should come out similar to yours. Now my clock panel is a whole different story as the metal with the woodgrain rusted severely. I am afraid I will have to go with repop stuff for those pieces.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan, I know there are different paint offerings from catalogs that may include the correct paint and colors to refinish the bezels. It will take some patience and probably some fine line tape masking. For my car I reused the clock metal face and reconditioned it. I removed the woodgrain and sanded down the panel to bare steel and smoothed it out with bodywork and primer because it isn't the straightest piece. I then had the metal wrap applied to that and the metal portion of the gauge cluster bezel. There are companies that restore these panels and can even vacuum plate chrome the areas outlining the gauges etc. I had painted the plastic portions of the gauge and clock bezel to match the exterior paint color of the car many years ago and so for me it was easier and relatively inexpensive to just buy new plastic bezels from Dynacorn since I am a dealer.

Thanks
      Greg

A little progress on the car. I got the front end together and even used the car for a booth we had at an indoor car show. Also getting some upholstery going but it’s been slow. Seats are out of a 09 mustang and I did black leather with carbon fiber inserts along with orange stitch and alcantera inserts also. We did a laser etch for the Mach 1 in the backrest for a subtle detail. Have to decide if I want to add the headrests or keep them off.

Name:  7CF8E5CE-8196-4D66-B02F-C58D1742B571.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  172.4 KB
      Name:  2A84A0D9-1EB7-4C4A-93F7-24A553B6001A.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  197.8 KB
      Name:  E6D53C76-2300-4C84-98B3-67CDC61EC0AF.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  223.5 KB
      Name:  11886344-1790-42FE-8849-DA39B609F3A1.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  191.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Fantastic Progress!

Wow is all I can say, spectacular build.

The painted trim around the windows, especially at the rear, make it look like you did flush mounted glass, nice!

At the grill, it looks like you made a filler panel. Was that custom or is there a vendor who makes that piece.

Looks like you are almost done. Are you keeping this one or is it going to auction?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
      Wow is all I can say, spectacular build.

The painted trim around the windows, especially at the rear, make it look like you did flush mounted glass, nice!

At the grill, it looks like you made a filler panel. Was that custom or is there a vendor who makes that piece.

Looks like you are almost done. Are you keeping this one or is it going to auction?
      Thank you for the kind words!
      The grill to radiator support cover is just a boughten piece I got many years ago. It's a pretty common item from many mustang supply catalogs. A lot of people build their own and it would be a pretty simple piece to make but it was cheap, looks pretty good, and really aids in cooling along with covering up the ugly bug guts in the radiator once I'm driving it more again. I have had this car since I was 17 in High School and have become pretty attached so I plan to keep it and enjoy it with my family and two boys.

Greg

Well it's been a while since my last update but there is still progress being made. I've been doing what I can but the bulk of the project has now been in the hands of the upholstery shop. I have the car home not while the upholstery shop can finish up the last of the items without needing the entire car. Like the rest of the car there are plenty of things that need to be dialed in but the main items I'm waiting on would be the rear seat, rear half of the center console with arm rest and storage cubby, custom floor mats, and wrap the steering wheel to tie in with the new interior.
      Name:  IMG_6236.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  66.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_6237.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  62.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_6238.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  61.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_6240.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  68.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_6242.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  50.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_6243.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  49.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_6234.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  85.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_6230.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  91.2 KB
      The panel in the front of the trunk is held by strong magnets and detaches easily for storage in front of it in the space behind the back seat.
      Name:  IMG_6232.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  94.5 KB

I brought the car home from the upholstery shop and after 5 years, a move to a new house, and two kids later it feels good to finally have it in my own garage. Even though I'm waiting on some interior pieces at least I can fine tune everything and get it ready. Since the car isn't road ready yet I decided to blow off the dust from hanging around the upholstery shop for months and do a small photo shoot in the backyard since it was a nice day and this was the first time I had a good look at the car all together outside.

Name:  IMG_6228 (1).jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  188.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_6211 (1).jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  375.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_6213 (2).jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  356.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_6215.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  357.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_6217.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  252.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_6219 (1).jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  247.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_6220.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  228.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_6225.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  260.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_6221.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  255.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_6223.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  299.9 KB

Car is looking great! Now you just need to find the time to get out there an enjoy it! Go for a drive!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Sweet!
      Tracey

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com