Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
      Looking real good, the color really stands out!

Question, I do not see mounting holes for the side mirror, what are your plans there?
      No mirrors, the car has pretty much been clean shaven of mirrors, handles, locks, side marker lights, wipers, and body seams that are not needed. Most of this was done the first time I restored the car and I was going for a ultra clean look. I still like the look and although some of the things wouldn't be that hard to add back I haven't felt the need to. Really the only mirrors I like on these cars are the sport mirrors but they are so small you can hardly see anything in them anyway. Add a bumpy camshaft to the mix and you really can't see out of them. Luckily I live in a state that doesn't require any kind of inspection and there really isn't any laws requiring any of it.

Another shot of the car coming together and all the glass now installed.

Name:  IMG_4695.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  192.6 KB

A shot of the trunk before the interior process gets started. I mounted my sub amp to the back seat metal divider on the stationary back seat. It won't be the easiest to get to but I should only have to set it once and will be able to access it from the interior or the trunk side. There will be a removable panel on the inside of the trunk to hide it and there is a nice space behind the rear seat and in front of the trunk that allows for storage for things like a detail bag that can easily be kept in there and remain out of site at a show or something like that.

Name:  IMG_4696.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  195.8 KB

Interior wiring is getting close to done accept where the interior items come into play like the center console, kick panels with speakers and door courtesy lights. I started putting some of the dash together and got to see the Dakota Digital VLC clock light up for the first time.

Name:  IMG_4673.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  202.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4674.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  121.8 KB

Gorgeous Mustang, and amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
      Gorgeous Mustang, and amazing work.
      Thank You! I appreciate it!

I am trying to get the car ready for upholstery and although I have some smaller pieces here and there and a good portion of the front of the car to paint still I wanted to get the car able to drive and stop. I pulled the rear axle out to finish the welding of the Ride Tech four link mounting tabs and give everything a fresh paint job. I also went through the center section of the 9" to freshen it up along with changing from a 3.89 gear ratio and went with a 3.70 Motive gear. I am reusing my Nascar Detroit locker and quick performance 31 spline axles.

Name:  IMG_4740.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  124.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_4817.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  230.0 KB

I am trying to do as much as I can to save as much as possible on the project so I have started installing some of the interior pieces that are ready to go in. The dash pad is just sitting on here in these picture and I will have to make quite a few adjustments before its fitting right but it was nice to get a little visual of how it going to look. The dash is wrapped in leather with an orange stitch to tie in with the exterior paint color.

Name:  IMG_4823.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  165.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_4821.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  138.3 KB

Love the dash and the dash pad stitching. Appears you had it done custom or was it a restitched aftermarket pad? I plan to steal your idea and do the brushes steel wrap on the gauge bezels. That is an awesome look that appears factory if you did not know it was originally a wood grain finish.

What paint did you use on the rear axle housing? What I used on mine is not as robust as I hoped and it scratches more easily than I expected, so I will be redoing mine in the future. What do you recommend for painting items like this as well as brackets, chassis, etc.? I was thinking of using something like the Eastwood chassis black with some kind of primer if needed.

Keep up the progress, the car should be on the road soon.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
      Love the dash and the dash pad stitching. Appears you had it done custom or was it a restitched aftermarket pad? I plan to steal your idea and do the brushes steel wrap on the gauge bezels. That is an awesome look that appears factory if you did not know it was originally a wood grain finish.

What paint did you use on the rear axle housing? What I used on mine is not as robust as I hoped and it scratches more easily than I expected, so I will be redoing mine in the future. What do you recommend for painting items like this as well as brackets, chassis, etc.? I was thinking of using something like the Eastwood chassis black with some kind of primer if needed.

Keep up the progress, the car should be on the road soon.

Alan
      Thanks Alan!

The dash was a new aftermarket pad that a friend of mine wrapped in leather and added the stitching. It stinks the car is sitting in a dark shop right now and I need to use the flash on my camera phone so it shows up in pictures but the flash gives everything in the interior a purple/blue look. The dash looks much better in person. For the rear end housing and other black parts I have been using PPG industrial single stage low gloss black.

Luckily the shop I am doing most of the work on the car at is right across the road from our body shop so its pretty easy to go back and forth for the painting portions. I hadn't got the initial cut and buff done on the fenders yet so now that I had the car running and able to be driven I sat on the floor and idled it over this weekend to smooth and shine them up. Its was the first time I had really had the chance to see the car out in the sun. Although I repainted the car the same color as previous I went with a different line of PPG to save a little as the cost of this color has more than tripled since the last time I painted it. The color has a little different look to it than the first time around but I really am liking it. The flop in the pearl isn't as extreme and it has a much richer appearance both in and out of the sun.

Name:  IMG_4870.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  218.0 KB

I got another round of small parts painted here the other day and was able to finish up the rear of the car. The first time I smoked the tail light lenses in the gray body color and it had a nice look however the metallic in the base, even though it was very light made it so the tail lights weren't as bright as they should be. This time I went with just a black tinted clear coat and went till the lenses just looked a dark red. Since the lenses sit tucked back in the bezels it really helps shadow them and they appear darker. In the one picture I have just the tail light on which is pretty bright and the brake lights are bright enough they are hard to look at but since I was by myself I didn't get a pic. I should be able to really get going on the interior now and I have one final round of front end parts to paint.

Name:  IMG_5024.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  277.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_5029.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  249.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_5030.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  258.4 KB

Maybe I missed it but whats the color?
      My finished daily
      1966 Fairlane
      306 with 4R70W
      QA1 Coilovers,vintage air,

Current project
      1948 Ford F1
      Lexus SC400 IFS
      DOHC 4.6 with 4R70w

Quote Originally Posted by c91x View Post
      Maybe I missed it but whats the color?
      It's a Ford color called Orange Crush Pearl.

Car is looking amazing! This color really makes it pop. I like what you did with the dash panels. They appear to a brushed/stainless look where the woodgrain usually goes. How did you accomplish this? Is it painted, if so, can you share the color?
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Car is looking amazing! This color really makes it pop. I like what you did with the dash panels. They appear to a brushed/stainless look where the woodgrain usually goes. How did you accomplish this? Is it painted, if so, can you share the color?
      Thank you! The dash pieces were wrapped in a 3m vinyl called brushed steel. They offer a few other options but that is the one I liked best for my application.

This weekend I got a lot of little things squared away so that even though there are a few front end parts to paint and put on the car it should be far enough along to go to upholstery. I also got the shaker air cleaner put on this weekend. I had kind of a happy accident with the shaker scoop years ago. I was out for a spirited drive and caught a bird in the front and it knocked out the grill portion. I decided to modify what was there rather than buying a new one and I really like the look that it has now.

Name:  IMG_5067.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  82.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_5063.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  298.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_5062.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  229.2 KB

I honestly forgot that grille was even there, and it looks so much cleaner and meaner without it! Loving the build so far!
      1969 Cougar XR-7 with lots of Maier pieces.

I must say - very nice work! I'm partial to the first gen's (64.5-66 :: i know, some call 64.5-73 first gens - don't agree with that ) but you, my friend, have put together a fine specimen.

Quote Originally Posted by F23 View Post
      I honestly forgot that grille was even there, and it looks so much cleaner and meaner without it! Loving the build so far!
      I thought the same thing. I knew I wasn't out anything to try and modify it by removing the rest of the grill and just like you said it gives a cleaner and meaner appearance. Thanks!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com