Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T56 Magnum Throw out bearing: Ideally GM parts

Putting a T56 Magnum behind my Mark IV BBC. Quicktime bell, McLeod RXT twin disk and McLeod hydraulic pedal master conversion. I hear everyone complaining about the McLeod throw out, so I have to ask what everyone uses? GM parts would be nice since those would be to factory standards.

You can use the GM LS release bearing that came factory with the earlier T-56 or the new TR-6060, but those two are different from each other and I prefer the early units over the new ones. The Tilton 6000 series is another option that we carry. We typically recommend the Tilton due to the flexibility in height adjustment plus it comes standard with -4AN connectors so you don't have to use the expensive quick disconnect lines. If your McLeod master kit is already set up with the quick disconnect line for the bearing you may be better off going with the factory bearing. We also do a modified LS bearing that starts with the T-56 factory bearing and we convert it to -4AN lines that allow you to connect outside the bellhousing.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

IMO, hydraulic clutch systems are total waste of time and are far more trouble than they are worth. I would not use one even if I were paid to install it. I'm using my 50 year old Z-bar clutch linkage in front my T56 Magnum and it is literally a set it and forget it system. With the installation of rod ends on the clutch linkage rods the pedal action is as smooth as any hydraulic system going for a fraction of the price.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Country Flag: Canada
      Problem is that it can open the door to misalignment... z bar on engine and sub frame ...pedals to body etc etc etc
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

IMO, mechanical clutch systems are total waste of time and are far more trouble than they are worth. I would not use one even if I were paid to install it. I'm using late model OEM technology in front of my T56 Magnum and it is literally a set it and forget it system. With the installation of hydraulic clutch control I can tune the pedal feel and travel with different sized master cylinders and I don't have to worry about bind or header clearance.

Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      IMO, mechanical clutch systems are total waste of time and are far more trouble than they are worth. I would not use one even if I were paid to install it. I'm using late model OEM technology in front of my T56 Magnum and it is literally a set it and forget it system. With the installation of hydraulic clutch control I can tune the pedal feel and travel with different sized master cylinders and I don't have to worry about bind or header clearance.

Ditto...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm using a 2000 Camaro slave cylinder with a Russel adapter fitting to replace the stock quick disconnect fitting, AN braided line to a Wilwood master, short threaded extension, heim and custom bracket to pedal.

Master Cylinder: 3/4" or 13/16" bore ... depending on pedal ratio. I used Wilwood master 260-10373.

Master / Slave Plumbing:
      - 1/8NPT-04AN 90 degree elbow at master (Aeroquip FBM2611)
      - 04AN straight hose end x 2
      - 04AN braided teflon brake hose, length to suit installation
      - 04AN slave adapter fitting (Russel 641001) - drive out the split pin that retains the stock fitting in the slave, lube seal on Russel fitting with brake fluid, insert fitting, install pin to retain.
      - use DOT3 fluid

Russel also has a -03AN adapter if you prefer a smaller, more flexible line (640281).

Hope this helps.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com