Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      car looks great and providing extra motivation to keep my head down and moving forward on my project.

Country Flag: United States
      What are you unhappy about with the efi? Maybe we can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      What are you unhappy about with the efi? Maybe we can help you.
      So right out of the gate I did a bunch of research and made sure I installed the efi perfectly, went to start the car and nothing happened, the fuel pump wouldn't turn over. It was defective from the very beginning. So Holley sent me a new one and I threw it in and it started up but didn't run great. After replacing this pump again it was performing about the same. After diagnosing fuel pressure it was 100+ psi. So the internal fuel pressure regulator was defective and wasn't allowing fuel to pass through. Holley then sent me a new fuel pump and a new fuel pressure regulator. I reset the ecu and fired the car up. It sputtered at first while the tune was 'learning' and began to run a little better. I've tuned a bunch of settings and got the car to run a lot better. I was dealing with high idle issues that I figured out, chopping at low rpm. I sorted the majority of it but I'm still stuck with random misfires. I have Holley controlling timing and it just seems inconsistent. I'll drive the car for 50 miles without an issue and then the next 50 miles it will chop up and misfire. Currently it will misfire 9-10 times at low to mid rpm and then it will figure itself out. It seems that it does this weird misfire as soon as the car gets over 180-190 degrees. I cant find any setting that would effect it and its driving me nuts.
      1963 Ford Falcon
      -331 Stroker Motor 450hp, 2700lbs
      2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Does the Holley allow data logging? Should be fairly easy to figure out with that.
      My thoughts and ramblings while working on my motor driven menagerie http://mechanicdude.blogspot.com/

Yes it does, Ive taken some data logs but have trouble analyzing the data accurately enough to find why it randomly misfires.

Got all of the components to install power steering today and Im really having issues on what I should do. So I ordered a KRC Pump, and pump mount which aligns the pump with the crankshaft pulley. This is good news. The bad news is that I currently have alternator the same way on the opposite side. The toss up is do I order a new water pump that spins the opposite direction and try to run one big serpentine belt? Or do I buy a new alternator, and order the krc alternator mount and run another auxiliary belt and keep the water pump I have now? I'm having trouble finding anyone else with a similar setup that I can reference. I took a photo of another falcon/ranchero at good guys to see how he had done it. Hes running a dual belt crankshaft pulley and offset his power steering pump pulley to fit. This would work for me if I could find out what lower pulley that is as well as the upper pulley. If anyone has any ideas please chime in.

The first photo is my car, the second is the ranchero at good guys, the third is how KRC's kit works.

1963 Ford Falcon

If you were to mount an idler on the left side of the water pump, I believe you would have enough belt coverage to run the water pump and use 1 belt.

If you were to mount an idler on the left side of the water pump, I believe you would have enough belt coverage to run the water pump and use 1 belt.
      I’m thinking about it, I would have to fabricate a mount that allows me to move the idler fairly far down. I already hate my alternator mount so I’m thinking I might make a custom alternator mount that spaces the alternator out just like the KRC mount. I had a 30 minute conversation this morning with Norm from krc. He seemed to think this would be a good idea. We were also considering running two belts off the crank and spacing the alternator out in front of the main belt.
      1963 Ford Falcon

Well some things happened yesterday. One, I figured out that water pump is reverse rotating despite me turning it clockwise for 500 miles. Two, a serpentine belt will fit perfectly on the exact setup that I had installed. Three, power steering and a brand new true-trac rear end don't make you a race car driver. With that being said, power steering is awesome, Eaton true tracs are awesome, and I'm glad I didn't crash my car.

1963 Ford Falcon

^^^^^^
      Good post.

Pretty stoked, I got featured on my first website. I hope this is the first of many. Thanks to Tommy from Hotrod Hotline for the article! Check it out.

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/nicks-...n#.WxHvP0gvzrc
      1963 Ford Falcon

On your misfire issues, which distributor are you running? I've been researching the Sniper EFI systems, and they recently came out with Hyperspark distributors, which are specifically for the Sniper systems. They're hall effect sensors and supposedly help some issues with misfires that seem semi common with mag pickup distributors. I'm not sure this is your issue, as I'm still researching it myself, but thought I'd mention it as something to look into. I don't really want to swap out my Crane HI-6 ignition system and distributor, since they're only a few years old, but I might just do it to stick with the Holley stuff for Sniper.

Im running a msd ready to run distributor that I modified to only use the mag pickup. Currently though im not running anything because I blew up my motor last weekend. Here is the new motor going in. I picked up for a good price and its ready to go so it saved me a lot of headache. I am pretty sure I lost oil pressure mid corner while auto crossing which caused me to drop a valve. I havent broken into the old motor but here is the new one. I also picked up a new oil pan which is cheap insurance for the new motor. Super excited to get it in the car and start breaking it in.

All parts are ford racing performance parts and all brand new.
      Scat 331 rotating assembly
      All ARP hardware
      Ford GT40X Heads
      Ford 1.6 Roller Rockers
      Ford e303 cam
      Canton 7qt Oil pan
      RPM Performer Air Gap Intake
      Holley Sniper EFI

1963 Ford Falcon

Nice looking engine! Bummer the other gave up. Does the new pan have some baffles for oil control?

Here's an interesting read on RF noise issues with Sniper, some things to check that might be contributing to the misfire:
      https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro...r-rfi-problems

Yeah the new pan has internal baffles and a different pickup. It also has a crank scraper that gets the excess oil off the crank. It’s the standard for road race cars. Expensive rookie mistake not buying oe earlier.

As for Rf, I moved my coil that way it won’t cause emi near the distributor pick up which definitely helped. I’m thinking that it may just be the way I have the distributor modified. If it continues with the new motor I will be purchasing a new distributor because the inconsistent running is super frustrating.
      1963 Ford Falcon

I'd like to offer some info. In my history of hot rodding, the most common cause of engine failure is valvetrain related. Usually not enough spring pressure for the needed rpm followed by not enough clearance somewhere.

I'd like to offer some info. In my history of hot rodding, the most common cause of engine failure is valvetrain related. Usually not enough spring pressure for the needed rpm followed by not enough clearance somewhere.
      In my case it would really make sense because I was at high rpm for almost a minute straight auto crossing. Mid corner I heard a loud knocking which then a moment later the motor seized up which cause my rear tires to lock up and skip across the ground. At first I thought I blew out second gear but then I went to start the motor and it wouldn’t turn over. I pulled the valve covers and found a bent push rod. So my guess is the valve floated and made impact. Which then dropped in.

I now feel like a hotrodder after having to put a new motor in after a month of driving it.
      1963 Ford Falcon

Well another bummer of an update. My Dad and I installed the motor last weekend. All in all took about 9 hours of work. Went through very meticulously and made sure to do each step right. Cleaned up some firewall holes and got it ready to go. Primed the oil pump, filled up the radiator and thats when we noticed water dripping out one of the collectors. I watched the drip and saw it wasn't slowing down. So I pulled off the exhaust and about a gallon of coolant poured out. I diagnosed everything I could in my head and after checking the pistons and they were all dry I knew I had something wrong with one of my heads. I ended up pulling the head off and found a pinhole in one of the exhaust runners. Absolutely crazy bad luck. I bought the motor from a guy off craigslist and he built the motor two years ago and its been sitting ever since. So he didn't know and now he doesn't have the receipt. I contacted ford and they don't want to help me out because I don't have the receipt. I'm essentially up a creek. Finding a matching head seems to be challenging because of all the design changes that have been made over the years so now I'm hoping to find a set of AFR's. Also I saw some flo-teks for super cheap but a little concerned on quality etc. Does anyone have any experience with them? This good deal of a motor doesn't seem to be a good deal anymore.

1963 Ford Falcon

Can you get to the area were the hole is to weld it up?

Woah big update!

I havent been on here in a while and totally forgot to give an update.

After trying to get the other head repaired at multiple shops without any luck I decided to scrap them. I ended up ordering AFR 185cc's and couldn't be happier. The fit and finish of them is exceptional. Also installed a new aluminum radiator to help keep the temps down with the added horsepower. Did some tuning on the Sniper and the thing fired right up. We did some mid rpm driving for a total of about of hour of motor time, and drained the royal purple break-in oil.

Everything looked great and we filled it back up with some standard 0-30w. I've been driving it for a few weeks and I couldnt be happier. Set the rev limiter at a conservative 6100 and it gets there quick. It will break loose in 3rd sometimes but its a blast to drive. My guess is it makes 400whp but who knows. I also got the car weighed and it came in at exactly 2700lbs.
      Overall I am thrilled with the car. Also started to finish some stuff up on the interior. Installed two boxes of dynamat as well as carpet. What a world of difference, it makes it bearable to go cruise despite Southern California being 90+ degrees out. We also made door cards and I finally finished the transmission tunnel. Fabbed up a little shifter box to keep the hot air out, much better.

The car isn't going to be driven as much in the next few months as I am finishing up my degree up north at Cal Poly SLO. Already missing it.

1963 Ford Falcon

That’s a great post man! Been saving up all that goodness. 2700lbs is pretty rad full interior and wet. Welcome back!
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com