Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      console looks great! - do you know the vendor or mfg? Looking for something similar for a 1971 Camaro with T56 - that would fit the bill.

Also - did you have to cut the tunnel and expand it? I wonder with a console like that if you could just leave it open underneath if you insulated the inside with dynamat or such.

Country Flag: United States
      I started with the Rally console from ClassicTruckConsoles and I used the transmission tunnel cover from speed tech. I don't think I would rely solely on the console to seal off the transmission tunnel as you would lose some of the rigidity that a metal cover provides and I think the metal provides a better heat barrier.

OK great thanks. that was the cover I was looking at using, good to know it fits under a console.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

One of the baddest first generation Camaros I have ever seen. You did everything first rate on this vehicle. I wish it were mine!

I finally got around to installing the oil cooler a few weeks ago. I'm using the Canton 215* thermostat with a Fluidyne DB-30417 Oil Cooler. I'm right at 30 psi at idle and between 40 and 45 psi when the RPM's are from 1000 to 2000 which is pretty much exactly what it was before I installed the oil cooler.
      Name:  IMG_20190326_153852621.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  228.5 KB
      I had to modify the front nose bracket to get the cooler to fit. I also had to sacrifice one of the horns. I guess I could find another place for it but not motivated enough to do it yet.
      Name:  IMG_20190326_153823328.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  231.2 KB

Next up is a rear view mirror upgrade. I'm getting tired of having to constantly adjust my mirror because the bolt keeps coming loose. Getting rid of the chrome on the back of the mirror will also be nice. I went down to the local junk yard and scored a couple of Gentex GNTX-453 auto dim, homelink with compass mirrors so I won't be needing my garage door opener anymore either. I got both mirrors for $25 and they both appear to still work. I figure I'll 3d print a part to fill in for the original mirror bracket and this will also hold the mic for the android radio.
      Name:  IMG_20190410_194759345.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  256.1 KB

I got the mirror installed. It works great, but if I had one thing to complain about it would be the size of the mirror is notably bigger than the original, so I kept it mounted high up on the windshield so as not to take up too much of the windshield real-estate.
      Name:  IMG_20190421_155306297.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  149.3 KB
      Here's a shot of the original versus the new.
      Name:  IMG_20190421_160904660.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  189.9 KB

What cars did you pull them from? I've been looking on and off for one of those mirrors.

One of them came out of an Infiniti M35 and the other came out of an Infiniti as well but I don't recall what model or year it was. When I went to the junkyard I didn't know what vehicle would have the mirror I was looking for and the guy at the front desk was telling me it would take them hours to find the mirror given the size of their inventory of cars. So I asked him if I could just look on my own and I found an older model within about 15 minutes. I kept looking and found the two I got in under and hour. It really only takes a second to peer inside the car to see what kind of mirror it has and I think most junkyards will let you pick your own parts at no extra cost.

quick question. I see you are running a C&R heat exchanger with the vintage air mounted to it. Did you have to modify your hood latch or brace at all in order to get them both to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by kcarter13 View Post
      quick question. I see you are running a C&R heat exchanger with the vintage air mounted to it. Did you have to modify your hood latch or brace at all in order to get them both to fit?
      Yes I did. The spring for the hood latch was poking the condenser so I had to trim it back. Refer to this thread for some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      Today I charged the AC system. Not as cold as I hoped it would be. I put the recommended 12oz in the system, but the gauges seem to indicate that I could use a little more as the pressures are a little on the low side given the ambient temperature of the garage. I think maybe some leaked out as the fitting on the AC can was quite tight enough. But for now I think I will leave it as is and see how it feels.
      Attachment 142728
      I am putting an LSA in my 68. I like that intake tube. Who makes it? If it is still available.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Quote Originally Posted by thedugan View Post
      I am putting an LSA in my 68. I like that intake tube. Who makes it? If it is still available.
      Nope, it was a custom piece I made myself.

Well done. Guess I need to just copy the design now…

How about the upper rad hose. What hose is that?
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Quote Originally Posted by thedugan View Post
      Well done. Guess I need to just copy the design now…

How about the upper rad hose. What hose is that?
      I went to Autozone and found two hoses that I thought would work. I had to cut each one to fit. The part numbers are Dayco C71695 and Continental D71428.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com