Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Is My Dash Panel Bent? (67 Firebird)

I'm in the process of replacing a lot of sheet metal on my 67 Firebird so I can turn it into a pro touring build. I was planning on converting this dash to an A/C dash by cutting out the center panel and drilling some holes for the vents (this was a non-A/C car when I bought it), but I noticed today that something seems really wonky with my dash panel. The area where the ash tray would go (bottom hole) is not rectangular, and it seems to be completely bent out of shape. The car did not have an ash tray when I bought it, so I don't have anything to test fit and compare to. If this panel is dented, I may just go ahead and replace it with a new panel with the holes for the A/C already stamped in (I already have the firewall out which would make this a very easy swap), but I don't want to buy a new panel just to find out that it's supposed to be like this. Does anyone with a 67/68 Firebird/Camaro know what it should look like?
      Name:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  108.1 KB

YUP it's bent. Big dent on the left side of the ash tray hole.

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      YUP it's bent. Big dent on the left side of the ash tray hole.
      Thanks, that's what I thought but sometimes the stampings on these old cars don't always look the way you think they should. I'll order a new dash panel since it isnt a whole lot of added work.

You should be able to get most of that out pretty easy. Try getting some 1/4 steel plates that you can fit on both side and use a C-clamp on it.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

That would be super easy to get out. You should have enough room to swing a hammer from the backside and get it close, then hammer and dolly it better. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be square enough for the ash tray to line up inside the bezel properly. I'd do that before cutting out an original dash for a repop.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com