Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 75 Monte Carlo

Country Flag: Norway

75 Monte Carlo

I bought this car a year ago with plans on making it into a car I can drive to an autoX event, cone course, track attack, spectator drag whatever and drive it home. I've been racing asphalt short tracks in Wisconsin for 15 years and I'm more interested in enjoying my car more than just on a Saturday night.

Heres what hat it looked like when I bought it.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

I didn't waste any time stripping it down to start boxing and bracing the frame

I welded all the seams mocked up the solid motor mounts that we made for our sportsman type cars I've raced for years. I wanted to brace the chassis and after looking at the kits available for the 73-77 A body, I couldn't afford to buy one so I made my own.

Once all the chassis bracing was done my dad and I put the body back on after we painted it of course! Then it was on to mocking up my suspension setup. Since circle track is all I know to this point I made bay bars for the AFCO coilovers front and rear. I also put in a floating Ford 9" with disc brakes. My crossmember we made was originally mocked up for a 4 speed but decided to run an automatic for now. I also deleted the front core support inner gender wells, most of the trunk and floor to try and lighten it up as much as possible. The hood itself weighs 100# so coming up with an alternative besides a fiberglass one is going to be a challenge. Might just run without it for now.. We tucked all the bumpers removed all the bumper shocks.

To run the coilover like I wanted I had to remove the outer part of where the stock spring cup was and plate back in the oper areas to give it strength. I originally wanted to retain as much of the stock dash as I could and make the rest out of tin to make it light. Then I decided to weld in a dash bar from A post to A post and I'll fab something up later. This way I can tie the bay bars back to the dash bar for more strength. It came with a Momo and a UMP seat but I gave the UMP seat back to the guy I bought it from. I welded a bracket in the trunk from rear frame rail to rear frame rail for the fuel cell to sit on along with the battery.

And that about brings us to where it is today. My dads shop is an hour away so finding time to get over there after work is getting hard since we work so many hours. I have all the suspension on and mocked up the ride height. I also put steel 17" wheels on it with Nitto 555 drag radials for now. Tires are not really on the most important thing on the list. Eventually I'll look into what I want to run. I have Hoosier R7's on my 85 SS and my buddy Al runs Nt01s and they seem to perform pretty well. I'll try to get more pics up once I've made more progress but here's what I got for now!

Here's about how it's going to sit

And not to get off topic but here's my other car. It's an 85 SS. I've had this car since I was 16 years old. I'll get to that car later! Haha

Country Flag: United States
      Cool project!!!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Cool, I look forward to seeing this one done. I've got a personal interest, as I've got a 77 Monte I need to get on someday. I prefer the earlier years, but I can make something out of the 77... my grandfather bought it new, so I need to do something cool with it.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I had a 74, Loved it. This is going to be cool when its on the road
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Thanks guys! yeah I fell in love with this car when I saw it! I've raced these chassis for so long that I'm pretty familiar with them. Now I don't have a rule book to follow so I can do what I want!!:

Love this project as well, always had a thing for the long hood Montes... Of course I also like your other Monte also...

Nice work on it so far, I am curious why you put the coil overs in front of the axle on the rear? Have never seen that approach used before. Body looks very solid...how did you find one that wasn't all rotted out?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Thanks Lance! Well on these cars the stock shock location is in front of the axel. And after a bunch of research there isn't a real advantage either way in front of or behind the axel and since I already had a good spot for the coilovers and the rear end had a good shock mount on it I modified the shock mount to withstand the coilover and mounted it in front. I was going to cut all the stock shock mounts, stock coil spring mounts out and run a bar across the back and mount them behind the axel but I'll admit I got a little lazy.. haha. Ill see how it performs and if I don't like it Ill mount them behind the axel.

I got this car from a buddy of mine who brought it up from Arizona. Its pretty clean.. Like really clean. Almost a shame to cut it up like I have but it was all stripped down when I got it so I just took it a step further. I followed your thread on your 85 SS. Your car is pretty sweet too!!

Got a little more work done on it today! I think this car needs a good name.. open to suggestions. Seems like everyone has a cool name for their projects. Anyway, the seat is mounted and the passenger side is sealed up!

Nice to see another mid-seventies GM build on the PT site. We have a lot of similar upgrades to our projects. What engine and trans are you looking to use?
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Nice to see another mid-seventies GM build on the PT site. We have a lot of similar upgrades to our projects. What engine and trans are you looking to use?
      If I had the budget the obvious combo is an LSx motor and some sort of 5/6 speed. But I have a 4 bolt main 010 block that I want to build into a 400-500 hp small block and I have a Muncie 4 speed tranny that I planned on using. I was going to put a TH350 in it but there's something about shifting gears that's really fun to do!

Are you going to keep the out looking "stock"looking for being a 'sleeper' or maybe more NASCAR .From "back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspoiler View Post
      Are you going to keep the out looking "stock"looking for being a 'sleeper' or maybe more NASCAR .From "back in the day.
      I planned on keeping the body pretty much the way it is. I kinda dig the way it looks anyway!

Well today was a good day. Finished the tin work on the interior and tied the bay bars to the dash bar I put in to help strengthen the front stub and coilovers. I wish I would have made the top bar out of one bar instead of splicing two together.. Not all that happy with how it turned out but I know it'll be strong.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com