Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Photobucket is now useless!

All,

I came across this on another forum I use. PhotoBucket changed their business plan last week and no longer allows third party image hosting unless you "Upgrade" to their $400 a year plan. As a result, all threads that have PhotoBucket links are now useless as there is not way to unlock the images without upgrading.

This is very frustrating as there was no warning this was happening, they just did it. I am moving all of my images to another site and plan to fix my threads so the images are available again.

I wanted to post this as an FYI to people who may not have noticed the problem yet.

F*** PhotoBucket.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Yep, noticed this with my two build threads, and talked about it in a couple other personal build threads as well. Really, really sucks. Now I'll re-host and replace each photo, one by one, rather than give a scummy company like Photobucket a penny. I can't see how they think this will work for them, I hope they go under because of this. It's been getting worse to use anyways, not sure why they think people would pay $400 for it.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I've just spent hours updating my build thread, It won't actually be the same again as a lot of pictures I no longer have, I'm using Imgur.com now. It's much simpler to use and without all of the ads.
      I feel like this was a dying move from photobucket, to possibly just bring in some last minute revenue, something I will not participate in.

Country Flag: Canada
      So I have to ask now what? .... Just use an old hard drive to upload pictures
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

What a mess this has created!

Ughhhh
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Most E mail services has room to save files. They used to be FTP. I am going to have to look into it now too.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I've just spent hours updating my build thread, It won't actually be the same again as a lot of pictures I no longer have, I'm using Imgur.com now. It's much simpler to use and without all of the ads.
      I feel like this was a dying move from photobucket, to possibly just bring in some last minute revenue, something I will not participate in.
      You can download your photobucket albums one at a time and save them to your computer. Then you can upload the ones you want...

Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
      You can download your photobucket albums one at a time and save them to your computer. Then you can upload the ones you want...
      Thanks, I wasn't aware of that, nor had I even ventured back to their site since they did this. I'll go save my pics

I use FOTKI as a hosting site. They have a free section.
      https://www.fotki.com/us/en/
      I upgraded a while back but it was only 30 bucks a year or so. Cheap enough to have the extra bandwidth for storage.
      I use another site also, Shutterfly.
      https://www.shutterfly.com/signin/vi...#1385989193437
      It is free but it is quite clunky. It works though.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Did you guys have any of the storage plans? I've had the cheap one for a few years and didn't see a change in any of my picture threads here or on Lat G. Did you receive a notification or bill, or your picture links were just killed?
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      Did you guys have any of the storage plans? I've had the cheap one for a few years and didn't see a change in any of my picture threads here or on Lat G. Did you receive a notification or bill, or your picture links were just killed?
      I didn't pay anything for my account. Photobucket was losing it's luster as it was getting to be a crappier page all the time... paying for it was never a thought. As far as the notification... I did receive an email last week... the same day I noticed all the pics were taken hostage on here. No advanced notice at all for me.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I had the cheap plan. A few months ago it was so bogged down with popups and ads I figured it was worth a few bucks a month to get rid of them.

I didnt get any type of notification of the impending doom, just went to add to my build thread and all the pics were gone, held hostage for $400 basically.

I spent all morning downloading all my albums even tho I know most of the pictures are spread over a few hard drives.

Since Facebook owns Photobucket, Instagram and a couple others I just wonder if this is just phase one.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

I have the Plus 20 plan and my pics are still up. The crazy pop ups that started a few weeks ago have stopped even though I didn't pay the extra $15.00 they wanted to stop the ads. I was fine paying for the service I was getting (before the pop up thing started) and was considering spending the extra $15.00 to get rid of the ads but I won't pay $400.00 a year for third party hosting. Even if we did pay the $400.00 their terms of service state they can change the deal any time they want. So $400.00 this year might be $1000.00 next year for the same service. The way they handled the change to their new offering wasn't a very smart business move in my opinion.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Someone pays in one way or another. Those with the old free P bucket accounts had to put up with more and more advertising to help pay for their "free" pic hosting. Some of us reached the limit of the free accounts a long time ago and moved or decided to pay for the service. I decided to pay (what I considered a reasonable fee) thinking my 3rd party linked pics in build threads and other posts with pics would remain till I stopped paying for the service. Using the service was pretty easy and because I had a paying account (until recently)I didn't have the slow service issues people with "free" accounts complained about when the increasing pop ups slowed down their use of the service. I recently paid my yearly fee on my Plus 20 account (I'm only using 40% of the storage in) only to now find out that my pics probably won't stay linked due to the new $400.00 yearly fee Id have to pay to continue receiving the 3rd party hosting capability. Telling folks they're going to receive a 10X increase in cost to continue what they're currently doing right after they pay for a year is not a way to treat current customers if you hope to keep them. Something seems fishy, I'd like to see Photobuckets 2016 annual financial report.

With the rapid bail out on Photobucket free accounts other image hosting providers using "free" starter accounts as bait are probably going to be overwhelmed. To keep up with demand they may also find they have to increase pop up advertising, institute new fees etc. to keep up with demand. Again, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Someone's gotta pay for all the storage, bandwidth, and other computer crap I know nothing about, but I do understand there is a cost to provide services. The smart phones have made taking quality photos and storing them at hosting sites easy so they've sent the number of pictures taken and stored daily into the stratosphere in a relatively short period of time.

From pbucket "new" terms of service "Modifying Your Plus Account : Photobucket has the right to change the limits at any time."

I'm a little late to the party as usual, but I had the upgraded Photobucket account (Plus 20) and it has not been affected yet. I looked into it, and if you had the ($30/yr ?) upgrade, you can still link to 3rd party sites until December 31 of 2018. So almost another year and a half.

F$%&,photobucket.
      Pretty crappy move.
      72 chevelle.

There are so many other builds on various sites I follow, and enjoy finding, that Photobucket has ruined for many of us. Photobucket can kiss my a$$!!
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Update: Our own photo sharing site WILL be up before SEMA. You can use it to share photos here or on any forum.

Sine I host it as long as the site is around the photos will be around. It really sucks what they did.
      Larry Callahan

I know this thread is several years old....But here is a recent update........

I've had a account for a Loooong time....Lots of lost stuff on forums that I've posted on.....I finally bite the bullet and sent them $53 for a year.....
      New plan....since 2yrs ago when this thread started.

The Long story short is I havnt been able to post one pix since I paid them....yea they try and help....But then they stopped....No way to actually call and talk to someone. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog5 View Post
      I know this thread is several years old....But here is a recent update........

I've had a account for a Loooong time....Lots of lost stuff on forums that I've posted on.....I finally bite the bullet and sent them $53 for a year.....
      New plan....since 2yrs ago when this thread started.

The Long story short is I havnt been able to post one pix since I paid them....yea they try and help....But then they stopped....No way to actually call and talk to someone. :(
      Sorry to hear. Hopefully you have all your photos locally.

Our photo hosting site is up an running if you need it. You can check it out at https://www.hostmyjunk.com/
      Larry Callahan

How do you get in to use hostmyjunk ? I try my using my username and pass from here and it wont let me in.
      68 Pro Touring Camaro in progress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com