Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

hydroboost problems

I am just getting the project up and running. Using a type 2 Saginaw pump at a 1:1 ratio feeding from a PSC reservoir to power a hydroboost and stock second gen f body type steering box. All parts are new or rebuilt. When I step on the brake, the drag will slip the belt until it kills the motor. The harder you push the faster itll kill the engine. Not sure where to look for the issue- is it a bad pump or the hydroboost that has a serious issue? been over line routing and such several times to make sure an obvious dumb mistake should not be the issue.
      Obviously driving it is not an option- all testing and work is done sitting in the garage. What ideas do you guys have and how to test?
      thanks

Post a pic so we can check your line routing

Already removed the pump to try to test it on a bench. It has virtually no output while turning by hand- is that normal? I know it a vane pump but I'd expect some pumping action if I turn it quick by hand.
      The routing is correct and confirmed by another person .... unless there is concern for the feed line size or angle type thing -#10 with a bend (internal wire supported to ensure no collapse) but only slightly downhill.

did you make sure you lifted the front of the vehicle and with the car off turn the steering wheel side to side to get the air out about 20 times. From one side to the other completly? This needs to be done.

Yes I did first with motor off- then when running- but if you turn to the lock point, it'll kill the motor unless you get off it quick- like under half second quick. Air is my second suspect- my thought is that if the pump isn't doing a good job, it'll never completely purge the air. - with that said the steering is fairly light and no abnormal feel or sounds that I can hear.
      Will trapped air cause such an issue with locking up the pump, so to speak?

sounds like the pressure relief valve in the pump is stuck or missing

Yes. We replaced a line on my buddies 69 and it almost killed the motor and bucked the steering wheel if you touched the brakes. We jacked the car up with the engine off and turned it back and forth a good 20 to 25 times. Works like butter now. You prob just have a ton of air

Where do you live? Maybe someone can help

Im in Owensboro ky,
      I am currently searching for someone who is very talented to help program the Holley EFI system also. at least no further than a couple hours from me. I have some experience with the Holley system but this motor is outside my comfort zone.

Back on the hydro system--Let me ask you guys this, should I expect the pump to put out anything when spinning it by hand? If I hook it to a drill - it will pump, by hand is absolutely nothing even as fast as you can.

Ever resolve this ?
      I just did a hydro unit on a buddies 69 wagon, when hooked up per diagram it snapped the steering wheel violently nd wanted to stall the pump. acted like the lines were reversed, double checked but swapped them at the steering gear just for sport, unit quieted down, and seemed to bleed normal off the ground, still a ton of air being created.
      Car drives and stops buts raises hell and foams the fluid, I have a remote reservoir to help reduce aeration before draining to the stock reservoir type Gen II pump setup, its a CPP unit, I am a Hydratech Guy, WTF

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com