Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Houston TX would you attend an event like this?

I attended a dyno night last Saturday at a very nice performance shop called Knight Performance Racing. They put twenty cars on the dyno for $40 each with two pulls. It was mostly late model Vettes, Mustangs etc. There was probably three hundred or so people there. As you probably know the late model crowd makes big horsepower. I put my Cutlass on the dyno to show these guys that old school cars can make power too. When 360 RWHP came up I was surprised it was so low. The dyno operator told me that automatic equipped cars with a loose converter don't lay down good numbers on the rollers. That got me to thinking that my low eleven second car would run right with these higher horsepower cars at the drag strip and it would be fun to have a race.

My idea is to have a dyno day where the cars would run on the dyno and be seeded based on the horsepower and then have a drag race eliminations until you have a winner. Maybe have a power adder class and no power adder class. Keep the rules basic or unlimited to keep things simple. Houston Motorsports park is 25 miles away and both have easy access to Beltway 8. Have the cars meet at HMP, drive to KP racing for the dyno session then drive back to HMP for the race. This fifty mile round trip cruise will weed out most of the track only cars. It would be best to do this when the weather is cooler.

My idea includes three things car guys like to do. Cruise, race and dyno session. I have been out of the loop for some years due to work but it seems the car scene is weak here in H town. An event like this may just be the alternative to boring meets and car shows people are looking for. Please reply to this post if you would be interested in attending or participating. I contacted KP racing and they are interested in the Idea. I do not have the time off work to coordinate or run an event like this so I am just trying to get the ball rolling and see if it takes off. I will have ZERO financial interest in this!!

Thank you

Dan Bridges

I might be interested in this, if it's in the Fall months.

Clint, Thanks for your interest. Due to the underwhelming response I may need to change the event up a little bit. I am going to make a home made chassis dyno out of a telephone pole and an old lawn mower I have. Some hard work and a couple reluctor wheels and it should be good. Eliminations will be ran in the alley behind Kroger.

Dan

Country Flag: United States
      If I was closer, I would be interested. I think it's a great idea.

I have also received underwhelming responses to the track day I put on.

I have found that most "car guys" like to talk but are not big on getting down...

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by badolds View Post
      Clint, Thanks for your interest. Due to the underwhelming response I may need to change the event up a little bit. I am going to make a home made chassis dyno out of a telephone pole and an old lawn mower I have. Some hard work and a couple reluctor wheels and it should be good. Eliminations will be ran in the alley behind Kroger.

Dan
      Bahahaha

I think it sounds cool too, but I'm not in Houston.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com