Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Pontiac overheating solved!

Hello PT members:

I have been a member on PT for some time and my personal build of my 68 Firebird can be seen on this site. After my build and initial tests of the car, we were running in to significant overheating issues mostly at idle or stand stills. On the freeway the car would OK, maybe a little warm, but nothing concerning.
      After a lot of research we discovered this to be a very common problem with the older Pontiac engines, particularly 400s as they notoriously ran a little warmer stock, but when modified like mine, overheating almost universally became an issue. After going through every suggested remedy, electric fans, high flow pumps, timing adjustment, etc., we experimented with the design of a new pulley especially for the Pontiac motor. The unit was installed several months ago and we have been testing since then. After months of testing in cool, moderate, and hot weather, the unit works perfectly, and in most instances cooler than expected. The car routinely now runs on the streets at around 165-175 and within 175-190 on the freeway. This is on warm mid 90's days (we are in Southern California).

About the product: We have patented and begun manufacturing the unit for the Pontiac market (this can work with some other vehicles Buick, Olds, etc). The product is a 100% USA made aluminum pulley and we will offer it in black anodized and clear coat natural aluminum finish. It attaches to your stock pump, and except for a new belt bought at your local store, no other mods are necessary.

We guarantee the finish and quality of the product and that it addresses your overheating issue.

If you'd like more information, pricing, etc. please feel free to PM me.

They allowed a gear ratio change patent to go through?

Under a utility designation they would not, but under design if it is unique in the market, then yes.

Tell me more about this magic pulley. I "think" you can pimp it here as long as you don't post pricing.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by timjen7 View Post
      Under a utility designation they would not, but under design if it is unique in the market, then yes.
      Interesting. Good luck with the project!

I will be your 1st customer. PM me when I can get one please.

I am interested. I have a 67. bird and I have a Butler crate motor and can't seem to get it to run cool. I have a Ron Davis radiator and fan set up in it. I tried everything ,flushed the complete system, high flow water pump and still running hot, like 195 to 210 on a hot day.

I'm interested as well and curious about the depth of the pulley as i have later 11 bolt setup in a 66 a-body
      yes it does have positraction

Did you try adjusting the clearance between the metal backing/divider plate and the water pump impeller vanes? This is the most common cause of overheating- Pontiac designed cast impellers, but the rebuilders started using cheap, stamped pieces... the clearance was too great, and the pump would cavitate.

yes its been done but I'm always willing to try new things to make it cooler
      yes it does have positraction

Odd drove 400 for several years, 3 row std Chevelle type radiator and never had heating or cooling issues. Biggest issue I ever had was bad seals on separator plate to cover. Then they started making them and wasnt stuck looking for NOS, Also had issues with the heater nipple in back of head, but now in aftermarket so no issue. BUT if it helps, bit confused, is this a new pulley setup or just one or,,,,?
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

still waiting for info on the pulley. got pictures you want to share

After ensuring my impeller backing plate was super tight on clearance and trying a Flowkooler water pump, I just went to a Meziere EWP (the HD version). It's an all inclusive design so no backing plate indexing fuss. I'm finally cool now stop light to stop light, plus I can run it after shutdown for a bit. I'll never screw with anything again on my Pontiac setup.

Full disclosure; I have a C&R module with dual Spal fans which are already awesome, but the EWP was the key for me.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

hard to quantify such a post without dimensions, Pontiac used different pulley diameters and often time the wrong combination of pulley diameter ave been used, this is easy to do on Pontiacs since many of the parts are interchangeable.
      What size are the crank and water pump pulley used?
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

pulley size please

having issue with overheating the engine has the march pulley, and serpentine belt. On a hot California day ill see 225 degrees. What pulley size should the water pump have?

The OP has not been around for nearly a year.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Overheating

Hello
      I read your post about the pontiac 400 overheating.
      Do you have any info and size on the pulley you made and can I buy one from you??

Quote Originally Posted by timjen7 View Post
      Hello PT members:

I have been a member on PT for some time and my personal build of my 68 Firebird can be seen on this site. After my build and initial tests of the car, we were running in to significant overheating issues mostly at idle or stand stills. On the freeway the car would OK, maybe a little warm, but nothing concerning.
      After a lot of research we discovered this to be a very common problem with the older Pontiac engines, particularly 400s as they notoriously ran a little warmer stock, but when modified like mine, overheating almost universally became an issue. After going through every suggested remedy, electric fans, high flow pumps, timing adjustment, etc., we experimented with the design of a new pulley especially for the Pontiac motor. The unit was installed several months ago and we have been testing since then. After months of testing in cool, moderate, and hot weather, the unit works perfectly, and in most instances cooler than expected. The car routinely now runs on the streets at around 165-175 and within 175-190 on the freeway. This is on warm mid 90's days (we are in Southern California).

About the product: We have patented and begun manufacturing the unit for the Pontiac market (this can work with some other vehicles Buick, Olds, etc). The product is a 100% USA made aluminum pulley and we will offer it in black anodized and clear coat natural aluminum finish. It attaches to your stock pump, and except for a new belt bought at your local store, no other mods are necessary.

We guarantee the finish and quality of the product and that it addresses your overheating issue.

If you'd like more information, pricing, etc. please feel free to PM me.

These have been out there for a while also. See link below.

http://www.precisionautomotivespecia...tml#anchor_524
      07 Jeep GC-SRT8
      01 Lightning (sold)
      96 Impala SS (sold)
      93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold)
      90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060)
      79 Trans Am WS6
      71 Formula 400 (sold)
      72 Formula 350 (sold)
      71 Firebird 350 (sold)
      69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)

Thanks for the link Stevehoj. That's awesome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com