Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Sound Deadener

Sound Deadener

Hey guys do you put any sound deadening material or spray inside the doors of 69 Camaro? I was thinking to spray boom mat spray in there since putting an actual material will be hard to get in there fully unlike a spray.

I was also thinking to use the boom mat spray in other crevices like behind the quarter glass, trunk, firewall, etc where it would be hard or impossible to cover with material.

Any recommendation also on which sound and heat deadening material to use on the floor, roof, etc where I can put material (not spray). I was thinking to use Hushmat, anyone have any experience with that? They have a complete kit for the whole car with panels already precut and obviously instructions on where to put what.

Country Flag: United States
      Here's what I did on my 69 Camaro; on the outer door skins, I put 2 strips(roughly 5" x 36") of Dynamat Extreme.
      One strip above the crease line and the another below the line.
      Then, instead of using a standard watershield behind the door panels, I used Dynamat.

Now the doors close with a "thud".

It's not necessary to cover every square inch with deadener material.
      I also used strips of Dynamat behind the quarter glass and on the inside of the rear inner wheel wells.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

This might be useful reading.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...FZQbgQodJFsCAw

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks guys, I looked at that website. Their complete kit is like $1k. There's a great write up in the interior section of the forum on this subject by JustJohn. I think I will use his advice. I think total for all materials will be under $500 by my calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Thanks guys, I looked at that website. Their complete kit is like $1k. There's a great write up in the interior section of the forum on this subject by JustJohn. I think I will use his advice. I think total for all materials will be under $500 by my calculations.
      I forgot I made a video a while back when I was did the back of the GTO.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Make no mistake, their kit has all the right stuff, it is a little pricey though. All I really did was point out comparable materials available elsewhere.

Quiet please

Just call me lazy. http://www.quietride.com It only hurts for a little while, and doesn't weigh as much as a full cover of Dynamat or Gmat or Hushmat. Nicely die cut and ready to go. They use Dynamat strips to kill the sheetmetal vibes and then an insulation layer. I have used it on a couple of projects and could not be happier with it.

Last edited by oleyeller; 06-22-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling errrror

I didn't use any sound deadeners in my 69 El Camino because I didn't want to breath in the toxic fumes from that stuff.

I once used POR15 and had to get rid of the car because my wife would be sick riding in it. Everything was fine until I painted that POR on the under carriage, floor and trunk.. Turns out that stuff rips like cheap cellophane. I went back to using conveyor belt spray grease....

This is one of those build areas where it's easy to skimp because, aside from driving a car that has it vs one that doesn't, you'd never really appreciate the difference that sound deadening makes. It's definitely not cheap but even just putting a layer of Dynamat, etc. down will make a huge difference in vibrations and make for a better build. I used Dynamat Extreme on every square inch of the interior and cowl areas and then covered that with a layer of Dynaliner 1/4" thick foam. Although each has its own properties, I felt the biggest difference came from adding the foam. You could knock on the floor, etc. and it was a very dull sound, not distinguishable as metal at all.
      All in all, despite having spent some serious money on it, I'm convinced it's worth every penny. You don't have to go crazy but try to plan it into the budget and strategically place it where you can get the biggest bang for your buck. I'd stay away from the pre-cut kits as that will drive the cost up. Also, apply it first in the areas you can't get to once the car is complete (floor, headliner, dash, etc.) as you can always go in and add it to the doors, etc. later on as the budget allows. Hope this helps!

I typically line the entire interior with Dyna Mat type material. It's about 3/16" thick foil on one side and you peel off the other side and stick it down. I buy it in the bulk sheets and cut to fit. I add a few strips to the inside of the roof. And then as said above add strips inside the doors. It's amazing how much better it makes the doors sound when they close.

After the Dyna Mat type material over the top of that I add foil on two sides with insulation in between. It's about 3/8" thick. I use spray glue to hold it to the first layer. Then carpet over the top. Makes for a very quiet and cool interior.

I have the foil back/tar material, they have so many brands these days. I think the last brand i used was nicco. I put Dynalinder on top of that. The foil back/tar like mat does absolutely nothing for noise. All it does is keep down the resonance of the sheet metal. If want the interior to be quiet you need an insulator like the foam cellular mats.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Have any of you guys used the Restomod Air sound deadened/insulation material?

I used Focal Bamm in my latest installation and have to say it is a pretty good product. By tech specs it outperforms it's competition by a smidge, but in real world it makes a hell of a difference. Bad pic, but we put it EVERYWHERE, my doors sound like a vault closing. The glass becomes the weak point of coarse, but it dropped ambient by 6db.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Is the water shielding under the focal Bamm product or you use the in place of it in the doors?
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com