Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

First time differential setup; Help from the experts!

Hi all,

I'm attempting to step outside my comfort zone and set up the rear differential that I bought recently. I bought a full rebuild from Ron's Machine Shop which included a full rebuild for my 12 bolt complete with new Timken bearings/races, 4.11 Richmond gears, Yukon Suregrip Posi and other misc. installation parts.

I got the shims set for enough pre-load on the carrier bearings so that I had to tap the carrier down with a rubber mallet, and lightly pry out. Then I worked on getting the right setting for backlash.

The instructions for the Richmond gears called for between .007-.009 of backlash. After a few different shim packs, I came up with exactly .009.

Now it was time for the deciding moment of whether or not I did everything correctly. I am hoping that some experts will chime in and let me know what they think, if I am close or need some help. I took a picture of both the drive and coast side of the ring gear. I made sure to put some resistance on the pinion while I turned the gears over too.

I think that I may need to make an adjustment to the pinion shim.

Thanks,
      Ryan

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Run it.

With that being said, it is usually advised to put the resistance on the carrier and rotate the pinion to obtain the pattern. you stated that you placed resistance on the pinion. Did you turn the ring gear by hand then or turn the pinion?

Thanks for the reply! So, I did the opposite and put resistance on the pinion and rotated the carrier. Should I re-do the pattern doing what you are recommending?

Any other feedback would be very helpful. I'm hoping to wrap up this installation and swap out the stock 10 bolt. Thanks!

I think that you are good to go. You did it backward but I feel that you got the same results. more than one way to skin a cat.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com