Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Set yourself a realistic budget, and see what you can do with the amount of money you have budgeted.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Set yourself a realistic budget, and see what you can do with the amount of money you have budgeted.
      I am not the type of person who sets a budget. Whatever it cost to do it right is the budget. If I dont have enough money at the time, I wait until I do. I like doing things right the first time even if it takes longer. But having said that, I have dumped around 20k in the Bug so far and paint is the one thing I am willing to cheap out on. Again, its not a show car, its a race car. Nice paint doesnt help lap times.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
      Maaco near me closed at least 5 years ago. Is Maaco and Earl Scheib still in business?
      https://www.maaco.com

Honestly, for a race car, I would try to spray it myself. Get an inexpensive gun, pick some decent single stage paint, do the prep and taping and have at it.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      I am not the type of person who sets a budget. Whatever it cost to do it right is the budget. If I dont have enough money at the time, I wait until I do. I like doing things right the first time even if it takes longer. But having said that, I have dumped around 20k in the Bug so far and paint is the one thing I am willing to cheap out on. Again, its not a show car, its a race car. Nice paint doesnt help lap times.
      I am voting for Maaco on this after looking at your situation/options.

This will allow you not to have to build a booth and setup in your garage etc. Do your own prep work, pull everything off that will make things easier and nicer, like headlights/trim/doorhandles and such.

Take good pic of car and go to your local shop. Explain clearly what you expectations are.. IE cheap will be single stage or you can foot bill for base/clear. and that you want them to do good masking work. CAGE/FRAME/jambs to be done well. and any other stipulations that you have. And get a quote.

Less you ask for, the cheaper it is. I've seen nice work from Maaco. and ive seen emblems/trim/door handles painted over from them too...

Just be clear and detailed about your expectations. You can pay to have it done nicely and still be fairly cheap imo. You car looks nice, so basically you are going to pay for masking time, and paint. Provided you bring it in scuffed correctly with 400 and and bodywork issues are done etc.

Just roll it on. That seems like the answer you are looking for.

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I am still voting for rolling it on. Seeing that my Bug is nothing ordinary, I think a roll on paint job would fit in nicely. I am going to see how my rattle can job turns out first (I am almost done with it anyways) before I make a final decision on what direction I am going to go. There is a good chance I will have it done sometime next week. Once its done, I will post some pictures on this thread to see what everyone thinks.

What part of SoCal are you in?

Look at some of those mobile painters in the LA/SD/Inland Empire area. I've gotten a few quotes from them about doing stages of my project (all the body work and primer, panel painting primed body panels, etc). Some places will also do full paint jobs at their shops for $2-3k
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

I am out in San Bernardino. $2-3k is more then I would want to spend. At that point, I would just attempt to paint it myself. Again, not looking to have a show car or show quality paint. We will say I am looking more for a "10 footer" paint job. Good from far but far from good haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com