Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

big block tail question

I'm running a 454 B.B. With 175 shot, I have 2.5 inch exhaust with h pipe and magnflow
      mufflers ,I was thinking of doing a 3.0 tailpipe from mufflers to the rear bumper ,
      any thoughts pros or cons ? I was looking for a little louder meaner sound

Are you running a full system,now?

Built BB with headers and full exhaust system

Bigger tailpipes aren't going to do anything. By that point exhaust gasses have cooled. If you want to make a difference, run 3" from headers to the mufflers and keep the 2.5" tailpipes.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Is it even worth it ?, what would the benefits be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVX...SOu7srE&t=157s

Engine Masters show on Motor Trend YouTube channel did a dyno comparison of 2.5 vs. 3" systems. Pretty big difference on a big block. We just installed the 3" full Magnaflow system on our 454 Chevelle and it is awesome.
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

If you want louder, go with different mufflers. Three inch is really unnecessary speaking as someone running a 3" full system on a 600hp BBC.

Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Hey Jim thanks for the post, why do you feel its unnecessary For your 3 inch exhaust system ? Thanks

How about a set of cut outs and you can control how much noise by how far open they are. Plus they are fun when pulling up beside a tunner or modern muscle. I run a set of Pypes Violators on 2 1/2 full system and run their cutouts. They come out behind the x over and so are not as load as open headers. If I had it to do over I would use oval cutouts on the front side of the x over.

Quote Originally Posted by WildCherry66 View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVX...SOu7srE&t=157s

Engine Masters show on Motor Trend YouTube channel did a dyno comparison of 2.5 vs. 3" systems. Pretty big difference on a big block. We just installed the 3" full Magnaflow system on our 454 Chevelle and it is awesome.
      I pretty much agree... I installed a 3" PYPES SS system with Magnaflow mufflers on my built 454 (461) and I'm happy with the result. The engine masters dyno test kind of proves out the theory that bigger is better when its a modded _bigger_ block.

I believe the engine ran about 630HP with direct open headers... so the 2.5" system lost about 30 HP, and the 3" system got back about half the loss (15 HP).

I tried the PYPES Violators... a little too loud for my taste and the sound was a different tone than the Mags. Interesting side note was that the system quieted down a bit with the addition of the over the axle tailpipes versus the turn downs. I'm all set up for 3" round electric cutouts with the PYPES, haven't bought them yet... still comparing different brands.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com