Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Anyone offended by vintage German iron here? 1964 Mercedes 220b

Hello, i just joined to gather some info and hopefully advice on suspension design and geometry. Im building a 1964 mercedes 220b for track days, autocross and maybe some drifting. before i get too deep into specifics i'm just curious if this is a american muscle car only site? i havent looked around much yet but i have heard the site name lots of times over the years while building my monte carlo ss. Everyone thinks these cars are tanks but its actually only 2900 pounds with full interior. It is the lower trim level with no power windows and seats so its about 350 lbs lighter than a 220SEb.

Country Flag: United States
      sharrrreeeee it already, we don't discriminate, at anyone time I'm hunting for my next project which could be a chevy nova, porsche 911, datsun 510 or vw karmann ghia.. these odd builds are often among the most popular

I started some specifics in the suspension forum but it hasnt been approved by the moderators yet. heres some.
      Plans are: mercedes m119 aluminum 5.0 32v DOHC v8 325hp stock. with boost they made 900hp in qualifying trim, 750hp for the 24 hrs of lemans in the sauber c11. 10 psi should be more than enough. tko 600 eventually, probably a t-5 for now. 13" brakes from the 500sel engine donor sedan. Explorer 8.8 with three link or torque arm and watts link. Rack and pinion conversion to clear the aluminum elephant. its only 450 pounds but ENORMOUS! Custom front control arms to update to ball joint spindles. this is my car "Sophia" currently stock 4 on the tree 95 hp 2.2 I-6. actually handles very well considering its on 185-75-13. i had 205 70-14 on it and they were even better but dry sidewalls made me nervous. i have 16x7 mercedes clk lightweight wheels and will probably go 225-50 or 235-45 16 all around. i'm going to ditch the bumpers and heavy seats and the iron engine, Plus it needs some rust repair in the floors so im thinking about aluminium as much as possible. Id love to see her down to 2500# before the cage. I joined to try to get some input on suspension design and design software.Name:  sophia labenz sunset.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  126.5 KBName:  sophia front q.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  175.8 KB
      Plans to convert her to a two door are in the works but thats not first priority.

I started some specifics in the suspension forum but it hasnt been approved by the moderators yet. heres some.
      Plans are: mercedes m119 aluminum 5.0 32v DOHC v8 325hp stock. with boost they made 900hp in qualifying trim, 750hp for the 24 hrs of lemans in the sauber c11. 10 psi should be more than enough. tko 600 eventually, probably a t-5 for now. 13" brakes from the 500sel engine donor sedan. Explorer 8.8 with three link or torque arm and watts link. Rack and pinion conversion to clear the aluminum elephant. its only 450 pounds but ENORMOUS! Custom front control arms to update to ball joint spindles. this is my car "Sophia" currently stock 4 on the tree 95 hp 2.2 I-6. actually handles very well considering its on 185-75-13. i had 205 70-14 on it and they were even better but dry sidewalls made me nervous. i have 16x7 mercedes clk lightweight wheels and will probably go 225-50 or 235-45 16 all around. i'm going to ditch the bumpers and heavy seats and the iron engine, Plus it needs some rust repair in the floors so im thinking about aluminium as much as possible. Id love to see her down to 2500# before the cage. I joined to try to get some input on suspension design and design software.
      Plans to convert her to a two door are in the works but thats not first priority.

- - - Updated - - -

cant post pics until mods approve i guess.

not sure whats up with the moderator approval thing. wouldn't post the last reply with these two pics.Name:  sophia labenz sunset.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  126.5 KBName:  sophia front q.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  175.8 KB

This project probably wont get the traffic of some of the more popular cars but there are a couple of us with Odd car builds. We like to think outside the box and need company in the funny farm!

Looks like a solid platform to start with. Keep the info comming!
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Yeah i'm just working on rear suspension design right now. There should be a thread in suspension popping up at some point for the 64 220b. I may start a build thread when it gets into real work. I have another mercedes i'm building currently for some street/track abuse and possibly a lemons/chump car. 78 450 SLC 4 speed(which never existed). Its a rusty pile and i have almost nothing in it, so im using it for sheet metal fab practice before i start hacking up either of my fintails that i love. The trans and flywheel are worth twice what i paid for the car! I sell mercedes parts to pay for my shop and toys. If you need any let me know!

the build on this one is here if anyone wants to check it out. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...-race-car.htmlName:  slc passenger.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  282.5 KBName:  450slc no rear.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  174.3 KB
      85 monte carlo ss 406 sbc. poly bushings kyb's eibach springs
      97 subaru outback sport. lifted
      64 mercedes 220b project
      78 mercedes 450slc 4 speed beater build
      25 mercedes parts cars from the '60s to the '90s
      [email protected]

Just a suggestion......

Name:  Mercedes-Benz-300-SEL-63-AMG-Gear-Patrol-Ambiance-21.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  107.4 KB
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

I have two of them also. My friend Mike and i have discussed a red pig clone at length. I personally like the w111 fintail better than the w108 pictured but they are almost identical mechanically.Name:  IMG_2001.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  228.9 KBName:  IMG_1850.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  182.9 KBName:  IMG_1885.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  249.5 KBName:  IMG_1098[1].JPG
Views: 108
Size:  65.9 KB The silver one is far worse off than it looks. the aqua one is actually not too bad but no title. I have a little sickness. The tan one is mike's and it passed inspection by a hair today!
      85 monte carlo ss 406 sbc. poly bushings kyb's eibach springs
      97 subaru outback sport. lifted
      64 mercedes 220b project
      78 mercedes 450slc 4 speed beater build
      25 mercedes parts cars from the '60s to the '90s
      [email protected]

I had a SLC like that one, It was the same color too. I got it cheap from an estate sale, It was parked for unknown reasons until I got it up and running. All the vacuum hoses were shot so the windows and everything else in the car would not operate. I flipped it for twice what I paid since I didnt want to replace 2 miles worth of hose.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com