Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Yeah, I pretty much went with commonly available parts. Because I want a smooth street idle I picked stock cams. I have a speed density cam within the 1986 gt motor that is in the wagon right now. I also picked up a camshaft out of a 93-95 mustang cobra. I have gt40 iron heads from a ford lightning which have been upgraded with crane/cobra 1.7 : 1 ratio roller rockers. I've got an e-303 just sitting around but I am not gonna use it. I acquired an svo extender to help with initial tuning. Pro flow meter calibrated to the 24lb. injectors. Obviously gt40 lower in 302 & 351 variations. I have a supercharger box upper, the tubular, and the explorer.

Well after thrashing on the Daddywagon over the past month including a week of staycation I got it to start today. It won't stay running unless I keep my foot on the accelerator. Not sure why yet but hopefully I can figure it out.

Country Flag: United States
      I love your wagon build and what you have gotten done so far. Glad to hear its close to running! Keep up the progress and the updates!

Update! It is off the jackstands! It still has some issues, but it is a running and driving project for the time being!! I love the sound of the v8 with flowmasters coming from a station wagon. The wheels are sleeper and hide the cobra brakes nicely! There is some smoke I think it needs valve seals. It could use a tune but once it's warm it idles perfectly with a pushrod v8 rumble while you are sitting at a light! I have jumped on it and it pulls nicely and will spin both rear tires if I stay in it. The car tracks straight and feels pretty solid. Because it was a lowly 6 cylinder family car the chassis was never really stressed. I think that's why it's so solid. When I drive it there is a big grin on my face. I have my arm out the window, I rev it like an idiot at lights (stick shift) as if I'm on a motorcycle (why do we do that?), and I heel-toe every downshift like a wanna-be race car driver (I was, I am, and always will be a wanna-be race car driver)! It's not finished, but i got to drive it!Name:  IMG_3177.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  161.9 KB

That's awesome!

Very cool, glad to see you're driving it and having fun!! Thats what its all about!

Thanks! Still a whole lot I wanna do, aside from the little things. The big things are 351w, t56, torsen t2 geared at 3.27:1, and cobra r (brembo) front brakes! I already have most of the parts for the 351w swap. The t56 is gonna take some doing or a sudden influx of cash. The torsen is within the realm of possibility, but I have yet to setup differential gears for wear pattern. The Brembo fronts are $1200-$1400! All of that adds up to quite a bit of overtime. There is also the lottery build with a coyote or voodoo engine

Yes! Very cool. Sounds similar to my long back build that went through upgrades as I drove it. It has been a fun time being the anti- pony car driver and a great experience making upgrades as I went along and seeing how things improved along the way. Not sure it really ends, just keeps getting better. As with the rest of us wagon groupies we look forward to you posting a pic like this... Have fun with it and keep posting progress!

-Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

I love it! Just don't show it on Lateral-G, they'll tell you how dumb you are, how you wasted your money, and how all you have is an ugly Fairmont. At least, that's what they told me when I said I wanted to build a Fox-LTD as a daily driver.

How easy was the IRS? I want to put one under my LTD project.
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

I wish there was a simple like button on here somewhere. Love it.
      Sam
      Northern UT.
      '68 Camaro "Bodacious"
      '56 210 2dr "Buckshot"

Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
      I love it! Just don't show it on Lateral-G, they'll tell you how dumb you are, how you wasted your money, and how all you have is an ugly Fairmont. At least, that's what they told me when I said I wanted to build a Fox-LTD as a daily driver.

How easy was the IRS? I want to put one under my LTD project.
      The IRS is relatively simple. There is no fabrication involved. You bolt the front subframe horns where the the solid axle control arms were and you swing the the back of it up. Then you mark the four holes you have to drill for the rear bracket. once you drill for the bracket you just have to cut access holes in the trunk floor so you can install nuts and washers. The worst of it is probably the brake lines. You have to split at rear junction into left and right hard lines that meet up with hoses to calipers. I used what I believe were stock springs and the wagon looks lowered.

I ended up cruising in it last night. Even though it still needs a lot of work; I can’t help myself!
      http://

I love your wagon build, as I feel these wagons should have been marketed far better by Fórd. I had the same wagon, just painted blue I purchased for $100.00 in 2001.

I drove it the following weekend from Lewes Delaware to Jacksonville, NC (almost an 8 hour trip) and met my g/f, soon to be fiance` then wife in 2003. It made the 8 hour trip back and forth 3 more times before the trans died due to almost 240,000 miles.

Wish I still had the car as I have a family now. (Wife and daughter also love musclecars as much as I do. ) I have an SSDI claim thats running for years that hasn't been approved yet. But when it does, i'll be looking for an LTD II or Mercury Marquis wagon again. Let me know if you ever like to sell yours.

Following the thread...
      Kimonoskunk <><
      1 Corinthians 15 : 1-4, 51-52

Quote Originally Posted by Kimonoskunk View Post
      I love your wagon build, as I feel these wagons should have been marketed far better by Fórd. I had the same wagon, just painted blue I purchased for $100.00 in 2001.

I drove it the following weekend from Lewes Delaware to Jacksonville, NC (almost an 8 hour trip) and met my g/f, soon to be fiance` then wife in 2003. It made the 8 hour trip back and forth 3 more times before the trans died due to almost 240,000 miles.

Wish I still had the car as I have a family now. (Wife and daughter also love musclecars as much as I do. ) I have an SSDI claim thats running for years that hasn't been approved yet. But when it does, i'll be looking for an LTD II or Mercury Marquis wagon again. Let me know if you ever like to sell yours.

Following the thread...
      Kimonoskunk <><
      I hope you find one someday. This one however is part of the family now and I would hope that my family treats it that way. It sounds like the one you had was instrumental in starting your family. The Daddywagon was just a plan in my head when I started my family. My daughter was fourteen when I finally found one and my son was two. Maybe one of them will enjoy it when I’m gone. That is my hope anyway. They have to learn how to drive stick shift first!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
      Yes! Very cool. Sounds similar to my long back build that went through upgrades as I drove it. It has been a fun time being the anti- pony car driver and a great experience making upgrades as I went along and seeing how things improved along the way. Not sure it really ends, just keeps getting better. As with the rest of us wagon groupies we look forward to you posting a pic like this... Have fun with it and keep posting progress!

That looks like so much fun! New Jersey Motorsports Park isn’t that far. Do you think they would let me run it? They all offer open track days, right? I did the Skip Barber 3 day in 1996 along with a day of shifter karting. It was the “last hurrah, I am about to become a father vacation”.

My first racing sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimonoskunk View Post

Following the thread...
      Kimonoskunk <><
      How about a Fairmont? Not mine but could be very cool!

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/197...310765405.html

I decided that I am gonna replace the 302 with a 351. Maybe next week if I have the time.

I took the gt40 heads off of the 351 lightning motor to inspect pistons, cylinders and such. The piston tops are caked with carbon buildup. The chambers themselves look pretty good. Valves look ok! I used a golf club cleaning brush and some soap and water to clean the pistons.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com