Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: frame notching

frame notching

so, I have the tools to do the job, but I'M not experienced in this area at all.

I need to notch the crossmember on my 69 Camaro to make room for the alternator. before anyone asks, no I cannot use different accessories.

the engine is currently bolted down, and it's sitting on the front tires. my questions:

1) do I need to get it off the front tires before I start cutting, or can I cut out the material while it sits on the ground?
      2)what thickness metal should I use to box it in after cutting out the material I need out of the way?
      3) any pro tips/tricks I should consider before I start hacking at my crossmember?

i'm looking to do something like this:

Country Flag: Canada
      First question would be why can't you use different accessories...
      The engine will probably need to come in and out a few times ...cut... test fit ..cut test fit
      10 Guage should be strong enough... or go overkill to 3/16" . As for tips... take your time do it right
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      First question would be why can't you use different accessories...
      The engine will probably need to come in and out a few times ...cut... test fit ..cut test fit
      10 Guage should be strong enough... or go overkill to 3/16" . As for tips... take your time do it right
      it's a ls swap with a kenne bell blower on top that requires gen 5 Camaro accessories.

I have enough room, and the car is high enough in the air to do all the cutting and welding from underneath with the engine in place unless you guys think the extra weight of the engine/blower might make something move around...

I figure since my motor is bolted in with solid mounts, it may brace everything even more from moving.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com