Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Bennsb View Post
      Haha, here’s my dirty ‘87 S10 daily beater. 1995 5.7 LT4, HotCam, 1.6 roller rockers, T56 manual, 3.42 gear 8.625” disc rear with Detroit TrueTrack, ZQ8 suspension and dual piston Blazer brakes, A/C:
      I have an LT1 S10 that I can’t figure out how to get running again to save my life. You have a daily beater LT S10 that runs. Sigh.... nice build by the way!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
      I have an LT1 S10 that I can’t figure out how to get running again to save my life. You have a daily beater LT S10 that runs. Sigh.... nice build by the way!
      Thanks man! Oh boy, I remember following your Tyclone build when you started, small world. Hope you work it out. I was enjoying the cold a/c in my S10 today, lol. I’m beat from a super busy weekend at work, trying to muster some motivation to work on the car tomorrow. I might work on the driver seat rebuild if it’s rainy.
      Ben

Got the passenger window in, drove it around the block. 200-4R shifts great through 1st, 2nd, and Drive. Have to wait on overdrive, can’t go that fast in the neighborhood. Time for final fitment and wiring work. She stayed running at 188 degrees at the manifold crossover, read 210 off the passenger head. Aluminum radiator is cool to touch by the electric fan and warm by the hose coming out of the waterneck. That trip around the block has me motivated again.
      Attached Images Attached Images            
      Ben

Getting closer, I feel late April is well within reach for a finish date.
      Ben

Worked on installing my wiring harness, going fairly well. Put in sound deadening and installed the carpet.
      Ben

Really awesome progression on this build! Thanks for sharing

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Looking great Ben! Subscribed
      I wish I was as close as you but I have quit a bit of body work that needs to be done. Some of which I will try, the areas that are not normally seen like the floor pans, but the rest I will have to leave to the professionals.
      You are so close-Keep it up!!!
      Ken

Took my son around the block. He asked if the car was made before seatbelts were invented. Overdrive works, speedo is off, reads fast. I need a 28 tooth driven gear to correct it. Cleaned up the wiring under the hood and wired in my fans and relay. All seems to be working well. Passenger head temp is reading 190 on the mechanical gauge and coolant crossover is reading 176 on the FiTech dashboard display.
      Ben

cool build with a solid foundation to start with ....

Maiden voyage went well, got me to work and back yesterday.
      Ben

Dude, that car looks fantastic! Nicely done. Love the hood.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

90% done...
      Ben

Finished a 2 hour test drive today with zero issues. Temp stayed at 190-195 at the heads and oil pressure never dipped below 20 at idle. I’ve got mysel another highway cruiser.
      Ben

Old and New
      Ben

A while back my FiTech system crashed. The in-tank pump started shutting on and off then the main power 30 amp fuse blew. While tracing my wiring and double checking my work, I put in another fuse and the pump stayed on constantly. I tried starting the engine for about 30 seconds when a brown plume of smoke rose from behind the ecu cover.

I contacted Speedway motors and got a copy of my receipt. I contacted customer service after realizing my purchase was two years ago, therefore the one year warranty was long past. Murphy’s law. They advised to contact FiTech and see what their analysis was and,if it came to it, they volunteered to share in the cost of repair. Kudos to them for the offer.

After reading quite a few threads and reviews, I contacted FiTech and explained my plight of this $1100 paper weight I now own. I was given instructions on shipping and was sent an RMA form to complete. I finally got around to shipping it out 3 weeks ago.

With the FiTech on the fritz, I bought an Edelbrock performer 750 carburetor of Craigslist locally and rebuilt it. I pondered over my fuel pump dilemma- 52 psi was just going to flood the manifold if I hooked that up to the carb. Running an in-line pump or mechanical pump ran the risk of flashing if I tried to pull fuel through the disconnected in-tank pump. I decided on an in-tank pump used in an old Econoline van with a 4 bbl and a few carb’d Volvos.

The switch went rather easily, placing the rear axles on jack stands allowed easy access to the fuel pump assembly. In about 45 minutes I had the pumps swapped and tank bolted back in. (Lining up all the screws on the cap was the hardest part, the last screw took some time to line up.) The lope in idle was much more present and I have a slight hesitation in overdrive lockup at low speed but it has run well, especially for the $150 spent total to convert.

I got an email back with an invoice from FiTech, $310 to replace the ECU. Searching back through my build pictures, it appears a forklift or something similar punctured the original packing box and slightly dented the ECU cover. This caused an internal short and fried the ECU. The resolve on the invoice was replacing the ECU and waiving all cost. My bill was $0.00 which I was not expecting being a year past warranty. I was very pleased with the customer service, they kept in contact with email and my fixed FiTech system arrived at my door yesterday.

Now I get to put the 255 lph Walbro pump back in the tank and connect the pigtails on the wiring. I think I’ll take a bunch of pics on the install and post here soon. After driving around with the carb, I really miss the fuel injection.
      Ben

Success!
      Ben

Took a Sunday drive after work for fuel injection learn time.
      Ben

Great to hear that FiTech worked with you. Says a lot about the company.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

All went well with reinstalling the FiTech. I modified my 200-4R governor, switched the drive gear to a 10 tooth to correct my speedometer, and replaced the worn TV plunger spring. Shift points were 1000-1500 at cruise and 3500-4000 at WOT. Now shifts are 2000-2400 cruising and 5000 rpm WOT. Pretty pleased, tires break loose at will. Next up will be locking and phasing the HEI distributor and wiring in the timing control from the FiTech ECU.
      Ben

Ben you have yourself a pretty sweet ride now. Great job!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com