Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1970 Pro Touring AAR Cuda

So I purchased an already restored 1970 Cuda last Christmas that was in very good shape and even had some nice extras. The body was rust free and had been repainted once. The owner also had done some nice upgrades like a Magnumforce K-frame with coilovers, a TKO 600 5 speed, Wilwood brakes with cross-drilled rotors, Boze Forged wheels and a Dana 60 with posi. He also installed a Mopar Performance 440 with aluminum heads and 6 pack. Not the engine choice I would have selected but to his defense this was back in 2010-11 when 5.7 Hemi's were the latest and greatest thing. The owner did an AAR theme which I like but needed some changes to be correct (the black was more like a bed liner than paint).

So that brings me to where I am now. I started off with a very nice car than runs and drive pretty well. I could have just left the car alone and enjoyed it as is which would have made good financial sense. The car gets a lot of attention every where I go and leaving rubber on the street has proven to be extremely easy in this car. But most of us would not be on this site if we did not enjoy improving our rides or making changes to cars that really do not need them but could always use some upgrades.

I finally decided what the heck and brought the Cuda to the body shop and left it there. We have now taken all the black down, filled in the hood in shallow places and put some primer on it. It will be painted the correct AAR black in the next few weeks. We have also installed a mini-tub kit which I purchased from US Cartool and have just finished installing a 4-link system from Control Freak (very nice system). Just today we ordered the new rear wheels, RushForth Rated-X with matte black centers, cleared brushed loops and no hardware. I am going with a 20x12 rear with probably a 335/30/20. We are in the process of calculating the wheel tire combo for the front. I do not want to alter the fender or fender trim so if my thinking is correct we will probably play it safe and go with a 19x8 and a 255 up front. This should avoid any possibilities of rubbing. If I can fit a 19x9 275 up front I would much prefer to go with that but we will see.

So that is it for now. The tubs are done, the 4-link is installed, the wheels are are ordered which is delaying my ability to narrow the rear end. The paint should be coming next along with undercoating the under carriage and trunk. I have also changed the stock gauges to some Autometer Pro Comp gauges which was definitely the right move. I will do my best to keep you guys updated on my progress. I am hoping to have everything completed in 90-120 days so I can get back on the road. I miss having this thing in my garage and being able to hit the road whenever I want but I firmly believe that everything i am doing will make the car so much more appealing and fun to drive when it is done.

God bless.

Daryl
      Attached Images Attached Images                                                
      Last edited by daryld; 04-19-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Add pics

Country Flag: Canada
      I like the direction your dash is going

Thanks. Going for stock look with custom touches.

Very nice! Look forward to following your progress.
      Pat

Looks like a fun car. It's nice to see another Mopar project!

my buddy was really close to buying this car off ebay last year. I told him he should go for it bc the price was right but he decided not to. Glad to see it on this site!!

I met the owner October 2013 at a GoodGuys show at Texas Motor Speedway.

Here is a video I took of the car:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xl4RbefDgk

I was less than impressed with the MF front suspension and he had trouble with the steering. Have the issues been addressed?

Thanks for the video. I actually had already found it on youtube. As for the MF suspension, I have not had any issues as of yet and the steering seems tight. I have not tracked the car yet so I will have to just see. While the car is down I will be checking everything. I did find spacers on the front wheels which made no sense other than to push the wheel out some. Will keep you posted although it will be a number of weeks before the car is back on the road again. Just order my Rushforths last week which means I have only 7-8 weeks left till delivery. ��

Country Flag: Canada
      Not a Mopar guy but, this one is a beauty . love it ,keep up the nice work
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

So it has been a very long and painful process but the Cuda is finally home 1.5 years later. Still needs some bugs worked out and a few things like custom interior but I am very happy with the outcome. I apologize for not posting more resto pics along the way but my life is crazy busy with work and family. Plus I often had to just put car in the back of my mind and tell myself it will be done when it is done. Let me know what you guys think. I will be posting more and more pics over the coming weeks. Thanks guys.

Looks good, nice to see another ebody here.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Very nice. I have always liked "Cuda"s since they came out. Now take it out and enjoy,

The car looks fantastic, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by daryld View Post
      So it has been a very long and painful process but the Cuda is finally home 1.5 years later. Still needs some bugs worked out and a few things like custom interior but I am very happy with the outcome. I apologize for not posting more resto pics along the way but my life is crazy busy with work and family. Plus I often had to just put car in the back of my mind and tell myself it will be done when it is done. Let me know what you guys think. I will be posting more and more pics over the coming weeks. Thanks guys.
      Thanks for the compliments. Took it out tonight to a small cruise night and got a lot of good feedback. Nice to see the hard work paid off. Took s few more pucs. Name:  C2F86B7E-4A7D-4FBB-8FA2-D3614BC94C93.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  290.8 KBName:  345BA99F-440A-423A-9661-308D763B92C0.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  375.3 KBName:  71B8F4AB-5716-4AE2-A9F2-55EBD7173CD7.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  203.3 KBName:  17A0EA23-76B2-42A3-8A1F-88391DB08E38.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  249.9 KBName:  FEEC1ACC-6BA6-48C0-8724-26D8C22F7789.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  313.2 KB

Beautiful! That's a nice cuda.

Thank you

So the Cuda is pretty much finished with some small changes still to come but thought I would share some updated pics from the past weekend. Hope this motivates some of you not to give up on your builds. They are so much fun when they are done.

Nice!

Love this car.

When I was too young to drive there was a white AAR Cuda in my small town. I absolutely loved that car too. Even then I liked cars with a reputation for some level of handling better than the big block, drum brake monsters. Maybe I hadn't touched the wheel of a moving car but I understood a car with more ability to go than to turn or stop was nothing but trouble.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

]

Thanks fellas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com