Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Buddy P's 1971 Camaro build

Ok, little late starting this new build thread but here it goes.... Sold the '68 last fall and picked up a '71 roller. It was in project stage and looked smooth and straight. Long story short there was quit a bit of shoddy workmanship on this thing. So went into complete teardown mode. Project started mid Nov. 2016. Took down to bare shell, sandblasted and installed new floor, new trunk pan, new tail pan, new trunk drop offs and fixed several other misc areas. From there I got into some custom work...

Day I brought it home

Floor was originally covered with parts and dynamat, once uncovered it was clear someone had replaced majority of the floor from a donor car. They cut new piece too short and used 1" wide sheetmetal to connect them. Look at that nice straight tunnel...

Floor cut out...

After sandblast

Bottom of tail pan... 3/8" thick bondo. Completely removed tail pan

Uncovered several layers of patches over patches in trunk, completely removed trunk pan

Removed inner fender wells to prep for mini-tubs

Inner rockers were tore up from previous floor hack job. Had to restore both inner rockers

New full floor pan, full trunk pan and tail pan installed

Modified and boxed in the rockers. Had new rocker formed and fabbed end closures

Carried the "skirt" look to bottom of rear quarter

Modified tunnel for clearance for future T56 Magnum

DSE Quadralink, Subframe connectors and Mini-tubs

Installation of DSE subframe connectors

Added channels along subframe connectors for parking brake cable routing. May use for brake and fuel line routing as well

DSE mini tub installation

DSE Quadralink bracket installation

And back to that previous shoddy workmanship... inner quarter panel on pass side was beat to crap from previous people attempting to install outer wheel well. I removed and replaced the inner quarter and outer wheel well prior to mini tub installation on this side.

Smoothed firewall

Fabbed up a fuel pump access door in trunk floor

More parts arrived... C&R radiator with integrated oil and PS fluid coolers - Thanks from TDS-Kreations

Decided on Sparco Chrono Road seats for my larger 6'-3" frame. Had to order early to use for clearance when getting cage installed.

While car was out of shop getting cage installed I refurbished the original tilt column. Washed out and repacked bearings, fresh paint and added NRG hub adapter and steering wheel quick release. Also replaced levers with new billet levers..... I don't ever want to pull one of these apart again

Got car back in shop after having 6pt cage with removable harness bar installed

Some of the little things... had to cut down humps in floor under seats for seat lever clearance to allow me to get seat as low as possible in the car.

Underbody is now complete, took it to the local Line-X shop and had the underbody sprayed with bedliner spray. Did this with my old '68 as well and it turned out nice so did it again on this one.

Added some brackets in the trunk area to accommodate a spare... just trying to think ahead. The plan is to have a full size spare (not the donut in the photo) and have it strapped down to the brackets.

Wish I had a little of that kind of Talent. Awesome looking work.
      Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

Thx, Just learned from doing... went in blind when I built my '68 previously

Some other recently purchased parts going into the build with help from TDS-Kreations, Bowler Transmissions and Miller Built USA

DSE 9" Ford housing and installed an aluminum Strange third member

Miller Built Hybrid Floater system for rear end... bought this kit for the '68 with 12 bolt rear and had great results so bought 2nd kit from Jay. Great customer service.

McLeod RST twin clutch kit, throwout bearing and Bowler billet shift handle

T56 Magnum from Tom Farrington at TDS-Kreations and Bowler Transmissions

Also started on motor with help from Jason Mitchell at Precision Wiring and Performance... LS3 base with cam and valvetrain upgrades for LSA supercharger. Anybody looking to get a Cam, valvetrain upgrades or vehicle harness and wiring Jason is a good go to guy.

And now the latest update as of today, picked up DSE hydroformed subframe with help of Dutchboys Hotrods. Now to line up and install subframe and rear end and set this car on the ground

Fantastic start to a project, love what you are doing! Looks like the car is coming along great. Keep up the work and it will be done in no time.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Buddy,
      Do you paint the underside of the car to match the exterior or leave the bed liner surface? Just curious. Looks like you've got a heck of a start, I know it'll be great!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Country Flag: Canada
      Very nice work! What benefits [aside from looking great] do you get from the LineX?

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Buddy,
      Do you paint the underside of the car to match the exterior or leave the bed liner surface? Just curious. Looks like you've got a heck of a start, I know it'll be great!
      No I'll leave it as you see it. Thanks, yes pushing hard on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      Very nice work! What benefits [aside from looking great] do you get from the LineX?
      Yes looks great, but also extremely durable for a driver/track oriented car, seals up the underbody and acts as sound deadener. I will not use Dynamat on the interior (little bit of cost trade off)

Very nice! Loved your '68, so i'm following along. Wish the Miller Built stuff was available back when I bought my Moser floater, I probably would have gone that direction....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Very nice! Loved your '68, so i'm following along. Wish the Miller Built stuff was available back when I bought my Moser floater, I probably would have gone that direction....

Thanks! Yeah the Miller Built floater is a nice setup. I never thought to look at Allstar for a fuel access panel, I like that one you have.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
      Thanks! Yeah the Miller Built floater is a nice setup. I never thought to look at Allstar for a fuel access panel, I like that one you have.
      Thanks... I guess we all learn from each other because I like the way you welded the frame in for your panel. When I pull my body off to paint, I'm going to weld mine in.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Great work. I'm so glad i stumbled upon this thread. DSE makes great stuff. $$$$$$$$. How much did the Line x undercoating cost? I like that idea.

Subscribing.

Nice work Buddy, I watched the 68 build and I'm already impressed with this one. I love the LineX on the bottom, I wish I had gone that way with mine. As far as using LineX and not the Dynamat I think your better off with this, I bet you'll save some weight too. Love the build.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1367 View Post
      Great work. I'm so glad i stumbled upon this thread. DSE makes great stuff. $$$$$$$$. How much did the Line x undercoating cost? I like that idea.
      $500

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Nice work Buddy, I watched the 68 build and I'm already impressed with this one. I love the LineX on the bottom, I wish I had gone that way with mine. As far as using LineX and not the Dynamat I think your better off with this, I bet you'll save some weight too. Love the build.
      Thanks! I had both on the '68 I did and I think it was overkill, especially after you add carpet and padding. Just doing carpet and padding with this one. Yes Dynamat is heavy.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      impressive!! I will be watching this build for sure :-)
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

BuddyP,
      Thanks. Badass build !!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com