Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1965 Mustang Coupe

I've finally got one!
      I have wanted to build one of these for so many years, I can't count them all. I'm going for an original look for the body, just lower with updated parts underneath. Not really going for a cone killer or drag car. Just fun to drive everyday the weather allows.

Basic plans so far....
      Engine: 5.0L Coyote
      Trans: Super Alloy T5 from Levy Racing
      Suspension F: AJE Colt 65 with SN95 brakes. R: Shortened Explorer 8.8" with disc brakes on new leafs
      Rear mini tubs for 17" or 18" 295s. Maybe 315s if I can keep in on the leafs.

Trying to keep the budget in check, so I'm not going crazy on suspension or body mods. But, I'm trying to do things that leave options open for upgrades down the road.

This car is in great shape. All new fenders and rear quarters, wheel wells, floors.. etc. Few things to clean up body wise, but other than that, it shouldn't need much.

Name:  IMG_20170225_132741.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  393.1 KBName:  IMG_20170225_132828.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  414.1 KBName:  IMG_20170225_132852.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  339.6 KB

Nice solid car to start with, and a good plan too! Looking forward to following the build.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Like it... Good Ideas for what you wanna do With the Car vs. what you wanna do To the Car
      Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

looks like a nice build. Seems familiar
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Should be fun! Another old mustang to the group
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Got the car home yesterday. The above pics were in the sellers garage. But, its home now.
      Very exciting to have it here and take inventory of all of the misc parts that were included. So many things.
      New in package interior stuff, suspension parts, freshly rebuilt straight six are the big ones. Most of this will need to be sold tho. Interior stuff is red (I'm going with black), suspension is all original style and the engine just isn't what I want.

Country Flag: Australia
      Love the Coupes. Looks like a great body to start with. Wish mine had turned out that nice after I had stripped it. Will follow your Build.
      Good luck have fun.

Double post.

Little bit of an update.

Picked up a few parts...
      Wheels and tires. I'm going with F-17"/245 and R-18"/275.
      Ford explorer axle that I can work on to get cleaned up, shortened and rebuilt.

I did get the original axle and leafs out. Well, one leaf. The other has the front bolt seized in the bushing sleeve or something. I didn't have a c-clamp big enough to try and push it out. I'll get one picked up and try that. If not, I'll just cut the bolt out. I should be able to get a cut-off wheel between the leaf and the bracket on both sides to get it cut.

While I was under there, I measured up what it will take to get the 275's in there. I didn't like the way the leafs were going to be mounted when they were moved in enough to get the tires in there. So, I opted to change the rear suspension to a 4-link. I found a kit that I can use and modify a bit to work the way I want it to. I could put the left front frame bracket on the inside of the right frame rail (and right on left), but that narrows up the bars a bit more than I think I want. I don't want my spirited drives to be limited to a 1/4 mile at a time. So, I'll be building new front brackets that will let me keep the 4-link bars as wide as possible, but still narrow enough for the tires.
      With the new front brackets I'm wanting to go to something different than the rubber bushings on the front of the link bars. I've read a ton on the heim vs rubber/poly bushing vs johnny joint (del-sphere) joints. I'm not real thrilled about the heims wearing out and just replacing them. Not sure on how many miles they will go. But, I'm leaning towards the del-sphere type joints that are more durable (and rebuildable) than the heims.

check out http://www.streetortrack.com/ , I've got a 66 coupe and so far very happy with the quality and price of Shaun's parts.

Quote Originally Posted by groho View Post
      check out http://www.streetortrack.com/ , I've got a 66 coupe and so far very happy with the quality and price of Shaun's parts.
      Looked into that. But, the budget just won't allow it.

Update.... Ya, it's been a while. But, that's the best part about a project like this. No schedule, no dead line. Just a little here and there.....

All of the rear suspension has been out for a while. I have decided to ditch the leafs and go with a custom 4-link. I have the 4-link/panhard bar design done. Just need to order all of the parts to assemble the brackets, bars, etc.

I have the 8.8" rear axle, just need to put the mini-tubs in so I can get a final length and cut it down. The interior of the car is still storage for some parts, so I will have to take care of that stuff first.

All of the front suspension is out. Including the steering parts. Cut the shock towers to make room for later. They will get the final trim later, and closed up. I have a few ideas in that, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Drilled the frame and mounted up the AJE k-member. Test fit the front arm, spindle and wheel. Just to see how it all looks. WOW, I couldn't be happier with it! The pic is right close to how it will sit when finished.

Here are some other progress pics.....
      That's my son.. he helps when he wants to
      Name:  5.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  100.1 KB
      Name:  6.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  107.8 KB
      Name:  7.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  67.5 KB
      Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  98.7 KB
      Name:  9.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  82.9 KB

Nice to see your back at it!

I actually just came across the AJE Colt suspension and was considering it for my 1963 Fairlane. It's funny how you find things and then continue to run across them in other places. I was flip-flopping between doing a Fox body front swap, like the Twin Torino guys, or trying to make control arms that bolt into the stock locations but had a coilover mount on the lower arm to try and save space for a 4.6. My understanding is it is basically a Fox Body cross member that has been modified to work with the older cars (could be wrong). I am really interested in knowing what you think and seeing some pictures of it in your car. Nice car, it will be fun to watch.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com