Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Garage Floor Coatings

I'm turning to PT.com in my time of need, and where better to look for garage help than to people using their garages for the same purpose as me!

I've just purchased my first home and one thing that was a must for me was a nice garage, And after drywall, painting and installing new lights I'm ready to coat the floor..
      But this rabbit hole goes so much deeper than I ever anticipated.
      I've spent the last week on my hands and knees cleaning + scraping the 10 year old concrete, degreasing, pressure washing, etching, pressure washing, repairing cracks, and just for the hell of it, I may etch and degrease it one more time...
      I've also purchased, and then quickly returned some Sherwin Williams water-based garage floor kit, and continued to spend every night researching all of the products available, and pretty much found problems with all of them.

It seems like there are two options, being either to purchase a ready-made kit from lowes or home depot (rustoleum Rocksolid is probably the best), OR step up to industrial grade epoxy, however the price step is significant and probably not justified in a 2.5 car garage I may only own for a short number of years.

So if you have coated your garage floor in the past or dealt with these products, please share your opinion.
      I think my needs are quite basic, I don't really need the coating to do anything other than look nice, but I'd like to roll a jack around, possibly put the car on stands now and then, it would be nice to have a product that could hold up to this.

PICTURES ARE VERY WELCOME

I used Epoxy Coat after much research. My floor has been down for 5+ years now and holding up well. The clear top coat tends to yellow where exposed to the light so keep that in mind when selecting a color. Here is a link to the product.
      http://www.epoxy-coat.com/residential
      I has held up well to welding (small burn spots where slag falls) and is easy to clean up. I even had paint overspray on it and cleaned it off with some pretty aggressive solvents and it held up fine. Heck it has even stood up to a master cylinder that was leaking brake fluid for months without problems.

Sherwin Williams also makes a commercial grade floor epoxy. I use it in my shop it covers about 12000 square feet and has held up well for the last 14 years.
      Ray

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I used Epoxy Coat after much research. My floor has been down for 5+ years now and holding up well. The clear top coat tends to yellow where exposed to the light so keep that in mind when selecting a color. Here is a link to the product.
      http://www.epoxy-coat.com/residential
      I has held up well to welding (small burn spots where slag falls) and is easy to clean up. I even had paint overspray on it and cleaned it off with some pretty aggressive solvents and it held up fine. Heck it has even stood up to a master cylinder that was leaking brake fluid for months without problems.
      I spent the hour prior to starting this thread reading up on epoxy coat and it is probably top of my list, a few repetitive bad reviews caused me to enquire. bud good to know what it can withstand. Did you use the flakes? its controversial that they use them on top of a single coat, but you're saying you also used a clear coat. I have a windowless garage so I shouldn't have a yellowing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzor67 View Post
      Sherwin Williams also makes a commercial grade floor epoxy. I use it in my shop it covers about 12000 square feet and has held up well for the last 14 years.
      Ray
      Sherwin Williams commercial grade rexthane and 1000hs are also considerations, I have their SDS sheets and it threw me off that they say they may exhibit tyre marks, which could just be them covering their a**es seeing that it is very popular for commercial use.

I'm interested too -- this is a timely subject for me. I've got a new shop that will be ready in 6-8 weeks, and I'm wondering the same thing, and have done the same research. DIY is somewhat important, but the key for me is that it stand up to steel wheels (floor jack, crane, saw on casters, welders on carts, etc.).
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

It has been 20 years, but I used to apply an industrial grade epoxy called Tile Clad which was sold at Sherwin Williams stores. I had a job one summer to coat an airplane assembly building with over 400k sq ft with the two part epoxy. We first track-blasted the concrete, then we coated with a nickel color. We did not put on the clear coat, but I would recommend it. The stuff was pretty expensive at around $60/gal that many years ago. Strong stuff though.
      '67 Chevelle LS1 T56
      '70 Chevelle 454 stock

Name:  Autolab.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  10.1 KB

I would not personally use any product that you can buy as a consumer at say Home Depot. It will look good for a little while but if you intend to use the garage, it will not hold up. This picture is part of the auto lab that I just renovated at our college

I've heard of people using tiles that are used in grocery stores? I wanted to redo my shop to but nothing I've looked up seems to hold up in a shop. I've used the home Depot stuff in a garage and it only lasked 2 years or less.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by ford
      I would not personally use any product that you can buy as a consumer at say Home Depot. It will look good for a little while but if you intend to use the garage, it will not hold up. This picture is part of the auto lab that I just renovated at our college
      I would agree, in general. Any clue what is coating the floor of the shop in your photo?
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Razzor67 View Post
      Ray
      I also have the Sherwin Williams commercial, absolutely love it, 9 years later and not a mark. Not even from my scissor lift steel wheels rolling back and forth with a car on it.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I spent the hour prior to starting this thread reading up on epoxy coat and it is probably top of my list, a few repetitive bad reviews caused me to enquire. bud good to know what it can withstand. Did you use the flakes? its controversial that they use them on top of a single coat, but you're saying you also used a clear coat. I have a windowless garage so I shouldn't have a yellowing issue.
      My floor is grey with the 3 color blue/gray/white chips. The yellowing on my floor is from leaving the garage doors open. If I were to do it again I would use the beige floor to hide this a bit more. The floor hold up to just about everything I have thrown at it. About the only thing that has caused damage is when something hits it hard enough to chip or scrape the concrete. You can scratch it if you have something sharp sliding on it but sliding floor jacks, jack stands and that kind of stuff doesn't damage the floor. I did my 5 car garage in a few hours and then put the clear coat on the next day.

I will say that if you are pouring the floor make sure it is clean and there is not a sealer coat on the floor. My builder put a sealer coat on the floor without checking with me and I spent an entire weekend with a diamond grinder taking it off. That really sucked! Like sheetrock work I will hire someone to do that if I ever have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
      I also have the Sherwin Williams commercial, absolutely love it, 9 years later and not a mark. Not even from my scissor lift steel wheels rolling back and forth with a car on it.

From what you can remember did you use the two-part epoxy or their single component product? they were raving about the single component being better than the two-part and the rep had applied all 3 of their products on a section out back to compare and the finish between the 2 were identical. The 3rd was just a waterbed epoxy not recommended for a garage.
      Price wise it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      My floor is grey with the 3 color blue/gray/white chips. The yellowing on my floor is from leaving the garage doors open. If I were to do it again I would use the beige floor to hide this a bit more. The floor hold up to just about everything I have thrown at it. About the only thing that has caused damage is when something hits it hard enough to chip or scrape the concrete. You can scratch it if you have something sharp sliding on it but sliding floor jacks, jack stands and that kind of stuff doesn't damage the floor. I did my 5 car garage in a few hours and then put the clear coat on the next day.

I will say that if you are pouring the floor make sure it is clean and there is not a sealer coat on the floor. My builder put a sealer coat on the floor without checking with me and I spent an entire weekend with a diamond grinder taking it off. That really sucked! Like sheetrock work I will hire someone to do that if I ever have to do it again.
      That's good to know, I actually hadn't considered the benefit of the yellowing appearance on the beige floor. I was planning on the gray until now. I've already etched my concrete, I'm not entirely happy it is uniform so I will do it again. But mine is just a 2.5 car garage.

Polyurea coating over ground and primed concrete. Three coats of clear. It is holding up to the students well. I have the same system in my shop that sees a lot of repair work. The only issue I have with it is stones. They get stuck in a wheel of say a jack or oil drain and scratch the floor. Consider this when selecting the color and chip system. Go with full chip.

Some good info here thanks for the input, will be a good reference

I've decided to go with the Sherwin Williams Rexthane I floor coating for several reasons:-
      1. It has the least negative reviews. And has been recommended by several people who have personally used it, one of which does garage floors for a living.
      2. I have seen it personally applied out back SW in comparison to 2 other products, and the rep is easily contactable.
      3. It is sold by the gallon for $109, 1 gallon can cover up to 537sq/ft. 2 gallons plus a clear coat, plus decorative flakes will be similar price to epoxy-coat without the concern of coming up short.
      4. I can apply it how I like, with or without flakes, with or without clear, to get the desired finish I want and all products can be bought separately to do so.

It sounds perfect for my use, as I said previously I have thoroughly cleaned and prepped the floor, I have etched the concrete but am not entirely satisfied so I will be doing it again today with a different product. hoping to get a coat on this weekend should we not get snow here in NC, 2 days later I can decide if I want a second coat and/ or clear coat.

Please post pics of your process, progress and final result!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      Please post pics of your process, progress and final result!
      no problem, but there has already been a change of plan, I decided to go with the 2-part epoxy Armorseal 1000HS from Sherwin williams, I spoke to the rep again, he stated It is guaranteed to hold up to hot tire pick-up even from high-performance tires.
      It is also a thicker product meaning only one coat in comparison to the other products available. its about $100 for a gallon on part A and $100 for part B which will cover 600-700 sq/ft. Perfect for my 2.5 car garage.
      The second concrete etch has been done and I am drying it now, Once temperature exceeds 50 degrees tomorrow morning I will start..

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      no problem, but there has already been a change of plan, I decided to go with the 2-part epoxy Armorseal 1000HS from Sherwin williams, I spoke to the rep again, he stated It is guaranteed to hold up to hot tire pick-up even from high-performance tires.
      It is also a thicker product meaning only one coat in comparison to the other products available. its about $100 for a gallon on part A and $100 for part B which will cover 600-700 sq/ft. Perfect for my 2.5 car garage.
      The second concrete etch has been done and I am drying it now, Once temperature exceeds 50 degrees tomorrow morning I will start..
      That's what I used Armourseal 1000hs. Plan on 2 coats, no clear or flakes (you'll thank me next time you drop something ).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
      I decided to go with the 2-part epoxy Armorseal 1000HS from Sherwin williams, I spoke to the rep again, he stated It is guaranteed to hold up to hot tire pick-up even from high-performance tires.
      I'm jealous -- that you found an SW rep that has heard of their product. I went to the local SW store today, and not one person in their store had heard of Armourseal or 1000 HS. I had to show them their own webpage, to get past their defenses.

Anyway, I'm looking for an actual SW rep that knows what the hell Armorseal is.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I'm jealous -- that you found an SW rep that has heard of their product. I went to the local SW store today, and not one person in their store had heard of Armourseal or 1000 HS. I had to show them their own webpage, to get past their defenses.

Anyway, I'm looking for an actual SW rep that knows what the hell Armorseal is.
      Yeah well I started at my local SW where they recommended the water based DIY kit, I studied it overnight and took it straight back, then I happened to drive by another store 20 minutes away where by coincidence, the Product rep had been in a week earlier training the staff on these products. They've been more than helpful.
      I just had a friend check out my concrete who has done it before, and he has recommended I use some Muriatic acid on a few areas so that's pretty much my friday night, I'll try update the thread with some pictures soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com