Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks great! Great thread. I want to do this, but the previous owner of my house might have had the leakiest two cars I have ever seen (Mercedes diesel and Porsche). I also can't figure out logistically how I could do my 3 car garage due to all of our "stuff " May have to do it in three sections.

Stephen

Nice tutorial.

I wonder if the muriatic acid will work on old oil stains on the concrete?
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      Looks great! Great thread. I want to do this, but the previous owner of my house might have had the leakiest two cars I have ever seen (Mercedes diesel and Porsche). I also can't figure out logistically how I could do my 3 car garage due to all of our "stuff " May have to do it in three sections.
      Although I have never used the commercial stuff before, I have done the Home Depot version crap a couple times. If you do it in 3 sections, you will have lines on the floor at each section when it dries. To keep this from happening, you have to maintain a wet edge. I have a 2 car garage, but what I have done in the past that works great is roll all my stuff into the driveway and tarp it all from the garage soffit to act almost like an awning. Also helps to keep moisture off the area that extends past the garage doors while drying overnight

Quote Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
      Nice tutorial.

I wonder if the muriatic acid will work on old oil stains on the concrete?
      I wouldn't be surprised if it works, the stuff is very strong, especially at the 50/50 ratio I was advised to use it at. There are also some pretty extreme degreasers available now. The muriatic acid also needs to be pressure washed a couple times after, add a degreaser to the first wash after the acid and I don't think anything would be left in your concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      Although I have never used the commercial stuff before, I have done the Home Depot version crap a couple times. If you do it in 3 sections, you will have lines on the floor at each section when it dries. To keep this from happening, you have to maintain a wet edge. I have a 2 car garage, but what I have done in the past that works great is roll all my stuff into the driveway and tarp it all from the garage soffit to act almost like an awning. Also helps to keep moisture off the area that extends past the garage doors while drying overnight
      I read a lot of reviews stating colours not matching with the home depot and lower stuff, but not so much with the Sherwin Williams products, But it's also advisable to buy all of it at once to ensure it comes from the same batch.
      I thought I'd also have to seperate my garage into two sections due to all of the stuff in there, I am very very glad I didn't, with the amount of washing, scrubbing, vacuuming and general effort going on it just wouldn't be very time efficient, It took weeks to do it in one section, 2 weeks of prepping(ok not if I had of started with 50/50 Muriatic acid),4 or 5 days of drying between the final pressure wash and applying epoxy, another week by the time a second coat and clear was on and another 10 days before the car was parked in there.. It would almost be worth hiring or borrowing a storage trailer for a couple weeks to empty the garage, I can tell you, the Mrs wasn't over the moon about a lot of my garage things in the house for several weeks.

Flooring

Hi there, floor coating is the best way to make your garage look good. It is also easy to clean and durable. When my friend was moved to his new house he hired professional movers in Brooklyn NY who provided him garage cleaning and flooring services. According to him their way of working was quality driven. He also gave them a tip when the work was done.

Sad to see this is another thread that photobucket ruined, but as an update, as I its now 4-5 months later, the floor is still impeccable, it's the best thing I have done in the garage, super easy to keep clean, but I don't think the anti slip additive is necessary, it would be much easier to mop without it(it tears a cheap swiffer to pieces, ask me how) perhaps in another 6-12 months time I'll scuff the floor and add another layer of clear, but it isn't a concern now.
      But I can't recommend doing epoxy enough, Soon I'll be doing it to the father in laws 4 car garage.

Nice color choice. I did mine back in 2007 using the U-Coat It system. So far none of the epoxy has lifted but I have scratched the hell out of it and it's not as shiny as it first was. But even those scratches don't go all the way to the cement, and I love how easy it is to clean up spills.
      Name:  IMG_3934.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  192.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rucumn View Post
      It has been 20 years, but I used to apply an industrial grade epoxy called Tile Clad which was sold at Sherwin Williams stores. I had a job one summer to coat an airplane assembly building with over 400k sq ft with the two part epoxy. We first track-blasted the concrete, then we coated with a nickel color. We did not put on the clear coat, but I would recommend it. The stuff was pretty expensive at around $60/gal that many years ago. Strong stuff though.
      What he said. We use it in the Post Office garage.

After 1 1/2yrs of weekly hitting it with toxic Steam Cleaning soap and a Steam cleaner it will lose it's gloss.....Not something the average guy would do. The ONLY way this stuff would come up.....is If you dropped a brake drum and it hit on the edge so that it chipped the concrete. I have it in my shop.....It's been there for years...Mine needs to be redone, but it's a pain to move and clean and paint by yourself.....Mine has overspray on it from painting multiple boats that I've built.

It's probably been 2 years since I did this and it's still the best thing I've done in the garage. I plan to add another of layer of clear when I finally get the car into paint and body, mostly just because I can

this one was professionally done

I would add that filling in the expansion joints in the garage makes it look even better and makes clean-up that much easier. I love my color too

Name:  chevy-mustang-garage.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  191.0 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com