Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What material for trunk divider

I have a 68 camaro and am trying to decide what to use for the trunk divider material behind the rear seat. My first thought was Masonite but since I plan to mount the battery in the trunk I question if I should use sheet metal or an aluminum panel. Also should the passenger compartment be sealed off from the trunk compartment, would the panel be cut tight and seam sealed to eliminate rattles.

any help is appreciated.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

If your trying to make it removable later I would use the method Steve listed above or similar. If your trying to make it permanent I would use 18 Guage mild steel to make the panel.

I completely removed the rear seat support/ package tray on mine and started from scratch.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Ahmad B.

Looks sharp Ahmad,

I see no reason to make it removable, i think I will use sheet steel and cover it with sound proofing after install to reduce trunk noise. I don't have a bead roller but I can probably cut it pretty close and rivet or tack weld in place.

Maybe in the future if I build out the trunk space I can reach out to the company Steve recommended.

Thanks for responding..

I've upgraded my bead roller since that picture but I used a simple 18" deep bead roller from woodward fab to make those panels. Places like Harbor freight,Eastwood etc sell the exact same one just rebranded. It's worth it to get one to stiffen up the sheet metal.
      Ahmad B.

I will look into that, for as little as i will use it making panels i would like to spend the least.

I did a little more digging around yesterday and found that most drag strips will require a rear firewall that is .024 inch steel or .032 aluminum per NHRA rules and includes package tray, similar to what you built if you have an open trunk mounted battery. The alternative is to have a fully enclosed battery box vented out of the car. Since I plan to test and tune at Bandimere once the car is done I imagine this will be needed to pass tech.

thanks again,

You can do this from the inside/backside also if you wish.

Here's the overkill version. I'm combining two cars, so just don't look too closely . . .

Attachment 137446Attachment 137447

How about fire treated plywood. You can by it basically fireproof (although anything will burn when it reached its tap out temp) just a thought. I vote for Ahmads idea. Looks simple and clean

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com