Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What Size Garage Would You Build?

Pretty simple question, with a complicated answer. I'm looking for recommendations on what size garage you guys would recommend building. I'm thinking two cars with two lifts plus plenty of space to work on stuff, store tools, and not be cramped. At some point I'd like to have a small lathe, CNC, maybe a mill? I haven't put much thought into that stuff and I don't have anything like that at the moment. I've got a pretty big yard, so that shouldn't be a factor. The cost, on the other hand will be. At this point I'm trying to get a feel for a good size so that I can start figuring out what it will cost me.

Thanks in advance!

Country Flag: Canada
      30x40
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      30' wide is a good start. To establish a length lets stack up your wish list. I am going to outline a few things you will want to take into consideration while designing your work space.
      1). You do not need extra concrete for any "hobby" sized lift. BendPaks site calls for 3.5" of 2500 PSI for any 2 post lift under 14K.
      2). Your shop dimensions, whatever they end up being, are over the OUTSIDE of the structure, your working space will be 1' smaller on the inside.
      3). Keep your overhead doors at least 4' from the INSIDE wall of the building. You will need plenty of "working" space on either side of the hoist. Putting the garage door closer then 4' to the wall doesn't leave a lot of room for benches, storage or even walking space around a vehicle. 6' is even better.
      4). If you use 10' doors at each hoist, add 4' (or 6') to either side of the door to get a comfortable working "length" for the shop.
      Example: 2 10' doors is 20'. Plus 4' on either side of the doors equals 28'. Putting 10' between the doors will get you to 39'. (Remember, I am working to the INSIDE of the building here. ) If you go 6' on either wall you will have 43'.
      5). 12' side walls will be minimum height for a lift.
      6). Design in 2 or 4' increments to cut down on waste. In my example you end up with 39 or 43'. Go 40 or 44' to keep the waste down.
      7). Go here to use a neat little shop design program:
      http://fbi.icovia.com/icovia.aspx
      Once you get in there and do some planning you will see that a 30' x 40' shop is not going to be very spacious once you get a couple of cars, tools, benches and storage shelves in there. If you design it so you can add on in the future you can get a shop set up then expand as your needs demand.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Great info, guys!!! Thanks!

Because of where I'm planning to put the building, I was thinking of putting the doors on the shorter side. So It took me a bit to figure out what you were getting at astroracer. What you're suggesting makes a ton of sense, and I think make the space much more usable. I build a 26x30 building years ago, with the doors in the 26' side. It was always crowded when there were two cars in there.

Glad to help. If you want to lay out a really nice shop go here:
      http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner
      The Grizzly site has a lot of tools and stuff the Barn Planner doesn't. it's not as easy to use but it gets the job done.
      Mark:

Car lift is great, but two of them would be a pita in that space. I would rather have one lift and the rest of the space open for ground work.

Bigger. I don't care what number someone throws out, the correct answer is always "bigger". 12 car garage? Nope, bigger.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      Glad to help. If you want to lay out a really nice shop go here:
      http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner
      The Grizzly site has a lot of tools and stuff the Barn Planner doesn't. it's not as easy to use but it gets the job done.
      Cool! I'll try that site out too. I'd like to plan where all my junk will go ahead of time. It'd be nice to have a shop like I see on TV where everything is organized rather than just piled in corners and shelves stuck where ever they'll fit.

Quote Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
      Car lift is great, but two of them would be a pita in that space. I would rather have one lift and the rest of the space open for ground work.
      Good point. I was thinking of adding the first lift, and then adding the second if I add another project and need the space. Initially I was thinking I would need to plan the extra concrete for the second lift.

Whatever you decide don't put a rubber floor down...worst floor ever to do any actual work on.

It's simple. As big as my wallet would let me.

Nice shop!!!

And I agree. Bigger is better. Unfortunately, I'm pretty patient with regard to this sort of thing, and without a goal in mind I'd keep saving for a bigger, and biggerer, and biggererer shop, and never actually build anything

Then build a garage with the thought of being able to add on down the road.

Everything in my shop is on casters. Except one bench and the mill. Even my stomp shear is on casters! Putting everything on casters makes it so easy to move stuff around when working it isn't funny. I have 5 rolling work benches with 2 set up as welding\grinding stations. They go where ever I need them to. Look through my BadAst build thread, you will see what I am talking about.
      Rolling stuff outside to clean is a major benefit also. Rolling it out, blowing off the dust, sweeping the floors with nothing in the way to gather MORE dust makes for a better job when it is so easy to do.
      Mark
      Mark:

I'm in the middle of building a 30x40 workshop. 14' celings, high lift garage doors. Insulated and air conditioned. I'll have a single (2 post) lift, mill, lathe, etc.

I second the notion of moveable tools, benches, etc. I do that as much as possible, just because ideal arrangements of stuff changes as the car projects change.

I will also have two more 30x40 paved areas next to the shop for trailer storage, short-term parking, parts delivery support, etc.

Would I go bigger if I had more money? Hell yes!!
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

About to buy a house that will require building a shop. 40x60 for me.

My brother has a 30x40. and from REAL use and REAL experience, i can tell you that its a glorifed 4 car garage, and really a 3 car if you have to work on any of them. Once you ad work bench, toolbox, engine hoist, mill, band saw, drill press...... i think you get the idea.

Always go bigger than what you think.

His has a 4 post lift in the corner, which does add 1 parking space. but also uses an entire 1/4 of the shop.

go big!
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

If you can get 16' ceiling height, you can do a two post full stand up under car lift with room to breathe. My shop is 30 x 40 with 16' ceiling and when I get the woodworking equip. into its own shop, life will be even better!

Mine is 60 X 65 and it could be bigger. I would like to park my Feather Light inside because of the heat!!
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

my is 40x50 and it filled up really fast, i wish it was 32x100

'66 Chevelle BBC/TKO600r, Holley Sniper EFI, Tanks Inc, RideTech Air Ride, Wilwood, Billet Specialties Toploaders 19"/20", Nitto NT555G2, Octane Lighting LED, DIGI-TAILS Front & Rear, Randy's Spoiler

I'm seeing a trend here

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      I'm seeing a trend here
      Sometimes, bigger is better :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com