Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
    I'm seeing a trend here
    hahah

the thing is........ You can always use the space thats there..... but you cant always make more space thats not there
    1966 Mustang Coupe
    5.0 EFI- T5

So what's the minimum height I'll need for a lift and be able to stand up under a car? I'm 6'4" with my shoes on. I've seen anything from 11.5' to 16'. Back of the envelope looks like 12' should get it. If I'm 6'-4", my truck is about 82", then you take off 16" for half the tire height, that's just shy of 12'. I can't imagine anything taller than my truck going on there, and I certainly don't see the point in designing it for that 1% of the time I'd work on something like that. I don't know that I'd want to be under my truck on a two-post residential lift, anyway. I don't usually work on our daily drivers, either.

The building will need to "fit" with the style of the house, and I'm not sure how tall I can go on the walls and make that happen. That, and I'm going to have to pay to brick all that wall, too!

Anything Bigger than mine. I have a Single Car Garage that I raised the roof to put a 4 Post Lift in. With two cars, my 7' Snap-On Box & parts, there is no room to turn!

BMR SUSPENSION

813-986-9302 Phone
    813-986-8055 Fax
    [email protected]
    www.BMRSuspension.com
    Like us on Facebook!

Hahaha! I understand!

I'm toying with the idea of using this year's hotrod fund for building a shop. I've been working out of our two car garage, and I'm tired of tripping over yard toys and looking for tools that have been used as yard toys

Car 20ft+6ft+6ft ft either end of car add 3ft for bench now you are at 35ft add +12 for storage and man cave behind that wall so 48-feet wide, on length use 18ft per car add 1 extra car more than you plan for OAL . Height go for 14ft clear min if you can get away with it 16ft you can have a mezzanine. Wire it for 400 amps 3 phase. use about 250sq ft per ton for ac. Pour 6" to 8 " thick 4000 psi concrete use a 1 ft grid of #4 rebar now you got a good start.

Just a general comment - have you ever seen a home car shop that had enough space for parts & half-assembled stuff?

It's a real factor to consider. Car parts. Whole assembly portions of cars like drivetrains or dashboards or seats. New stuff in boxes. Raw materials of all kinds. Lots of heavy stuff that has to be sitting on the floor. Etc.

Also, consider segregating this area from the main work area in terms of heating & cooling. Climate control is never cheap. Even if the parts area is closed off, it still won't get the full brunt of the outdoor temps & humidity as long as it's basically part of the same building.

I have a climate controlled parts storage... my 2 spare bedrooms, and my game room! Even have 2 transmissions, an engine, heads, and and my Speedway Engineering floater inside.
    Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
    71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
    67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
    82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
    66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Bought not built, lol. I bought a property where the main garage is 125 X 25 and the upstairs garage is 60X25. BTW don't mind the mess we are cleaning it up slowly.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
    1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Where I'm at to date - 60' x 40' pole barn w/60' x 16' enclosed shed on one side for truck/gooseneck trailer storage. There is a 800 sg ft apartment at the rear of the building leaving 40' x 40' for a shop area. Still a work in progress, a four post lift will be going in the bay where the rat truck is presently parked. A welding table will go in front of the air compressor and between the bays. Another 8' work bench will be added along one wall which will host a drill press, vise and grinder. Ceiling is 13' and both doors are 12' x 12'. 12 recessed LED lights coupled with the white metal ceiling netted me the best lit shop I have ever owned. I also added a carport shed and a tractor shed on opposing corners of the building. I chose to finish the floor with a stain-guard sealer and several coats of wax for easy upkeep. Using a split-mini head unit for heat/air duties when needed.

Mine is 30x50 and it's not big enough. That's not including the three car (3 doors) garage attached to it either. I have two drive-on Bendpaks too. 50ft long is good, but 30ft wide isn't enough. I have about 8 cars, 4 stored, 79 TA in the middle getting built and the rest are DD go in and out of the 3 doors.

I have a 40x50 shop, a 24x40 garage for car storage and a 25x40 building for parts and I still donít have enough room. Rule of thumb is to estimate what you need and add at least 50%.

My perfect setup would be to have a clean shop and a dirty shop. My paint booth eats up a big chunk of my shop. I built an overhang on the shop and moved my four post lift under it. Two post is what I use 99% of the time.

Don
    1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
    1957 Buick Caballero - huge project
    1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain

Here I have a 130x125 garage and everything fits perfectly even though I have millions of gadgets and tools and stuff. I think 130x130 is just the perfect size for a garage, if you have a second floor you can even build a man cave upstairs.. I have another home in Hungary where we usually spend the summer vacations with my family and recently I'm thinking about buying property in Hungary near my house to build a garage. My family loves it there however it's awfully boring for me in summer..

Garage should hold 3-car minimum...
    There is no such thing as "too big of a garage".

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2