Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Is it possible to disable TPMS in a 2010 Lexus?

My wife has a 2010 Lexus HS250H that has a cracked alloy wheel. Rather than replace the stock 18" wheel I was looking at some wider Sparco wheels so I could install a wider tire as well. She wants to do some track days hence the wider wheel tire combo. I don't want to install TPM sensors in the new wheels. So my question is, does anyone know if the TPMS can be disabled in the computer of the Lexus/Toyota? If so, how is it done?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

not that i have ever done.

Country Flag: Canada
      Follow me on this ...have heard of it working ....never seen it ....take all four tire pressure sensors ....mount in a fabricated box with a hole for a valve stem to fit into ...weld or bolt and seal the box ....add air pressure ...
      Now that could be dangerous if wrong materials are used etc ....heard of same thing being done but to the spare tire ...obviously adjust the pressure as necessary and away you go
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Thanks guys!
      I have seen that hokey air box thing, there are tons of youtube vids that show that. I was looking more for a way to disable the feature in the computer. This has to be an issue for those who use later model cars for autocross, track days, drags, etc with different sets of wheels/tires.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

i think the corvette guys had to figure something out because if the TPMS light came on you would go into limp mode. I read about this somewhere that they were discussing the Tx mile

Its built into the software of the car so no not legally can you remove them and shut system down. Generally its built into the ABS/VSC software but also in to transmission software in some cars.
      NOW the safest way would be to find a wheel that is proper diameter, have all 4 sensor holes drilled 90deg off each other and install them in that wheel and keep it in car as spare. if light comes on simply air it up, bolt it on and drive it till light goes off.
      BUT the easiest way would be to source a set that use rubber stems and simply install those and have them programmed into car.
      My question is WHY would you want to disable the system? Its not like it hurts swapping them in.
      I actually prefer the rubber stem type sensors and having them in working order.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

The Corvette guys (I was one of them until last summer) put sensors in their track wheels, and use a special tool to tell the BCM to acquire and monitor them. Then use the same tool to tell the car to acquire and monitor their street wheels when the track day is over.

It's a PITA, but it is convenient to use the DIC to watch your tire pressures when you come in from a session.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      The Corvette guys (I was one of them until last summer) put sensors in their track wheels, and use a special tool to tell the BCM to acquire and monitor them. Then use the same tool to tell the car to acquire and monitor their street wheels when the track day is over.

It's a PITA, but it is convenient to use the DIC to watch your tire pressures when you come in from a session.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com