Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada

Andythebruce 1982 Ford Fairmont - THE GREAT AMERICAN CHALLENGE

Ok here's my build too. I'm Andy Bruce, and I am the third contender in The Great American Challenge. You've read the others and know the rules, we have $7000 (CAD), and until July 1st, 2017 to have a street legal ready to go car. This whole thing started because I never owned a v8, I've wanted one for a while and I love technology so when the opportunity came to buy a coyote for dirty cheap I had to own it. Too bad I had already pulled the lq4 a few weeks earlier but the good news is, marc.l needed one in his life so life was good.

I chose the Fairmont for a few reasons. First, it was available. Second, it fit the budget. Third, it's a fox body so why not. Is it ugly? Absolutely. But I see the potential and I have confidence in being able to make it a solid contender. This is probably the worst starting point for a fox body because it has the 200ci I6 and is auto. So off the bat I need a rear end and a pedal box.

Here's a few pictures of this turd, more to come.
      Name:  IMG_20160729_180348.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  325.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160709_101404.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  288.8 KB

So my car is the only one that actually runs. My first impressions with this thing are, holy mother it is slow. I own slow cars, I own fast cars. This is by far the slowest ever, between the anorexic I6 and the three speed it struggles to maintain 110kph. I will be so happy when it's laying down rubber. I tried racing a friend's rx7 the other day (because it's hilarious) and ended up blowing the heater core so I'm in a debate if I want to replace it or loop the hose and call it a day.

Name:  IMG_20160729_183053.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  168.8 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Personally I like the Fairmont. There was one that won the Car Craft Real Street Eliminator back in the 90's, very cool car and a hell of a sleeper.

Country Flag: Australia
      Cool. I am a little embarrassed to admit it but I kind of like the old yellow Volvo wagon at the top of your first picture too.....
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

There was a guy who worked for erb transport yrs ago had one with a 5.0 , black paint ,dark tint, cobra rims ...car looked and sounded awesome
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by Godbolt View Post
      Cool. I am a little embarrassed to admit it but I kind of like the old yellow Volvo wagon at the top of your first picture too.....
      It's my 1970 volvo 145, it's a fun car that I redid mechanically last year but it's for sale coming up here. It has 70whp with a weber 32/36, but I'll probably put the su's back on as I think it drives better that with them.

OK...I know I am going to win now! I got my money on you and we share the same first name...GO Andy!!!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Andythebruce View Post
      ..............ended up blowing the heater core so I'm in a debate if I want to replace it or loop the hose and call it a day.
      Dude! You live in Calgary! Sooner or later you will need that heater core. LOL
      Cool choice for a project. It's just a Mustang in drag. It may not have the prettiest face but you have to admit there are a lot of uglier cars out there.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Love it! Haha 1982 Mercury Zephyr was my first car. This brings back lots of memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      Dude! You live in Calgary! Sooner or later you will need that heater core. LOL
      Cool choice for a project. It's just a Mustang in drag. It may not have the prettiest face but you have to admit there are a lot of uglier cars out there.

Ken
      Strange you should say that. There was a guy in my hometown who had a Fairmont (or maybe a Zephyr) that had an early Foxbody front end on it. Interesting looking car.

Another friend had a yellow Fairmont Wagon he called "The Cheesewagon." The people he sold it to were living in it after a while.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Andythebruce View Post
      It's my 1970 volvo 145, it's a fun car that I redid mechanically last year but it's for sale coming up here. It has 70whp with a weber 32/36, but I'll probably put the su's back on as I think it drives better that with them.
      My first car was a 142s (for sport of course!) that was the same colour. It served me well.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III

Picked up a few things for the build.
      First I grabbed an 8.8 rear end. It has 3.55 gears, lsd, 5 bolt, and discs. So that should work well.
      Name:  IMG_20160802_124433.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  111.9 KB

Next I grabbed a t-45 transmission from a sn95. It needs a a second gear synchro (maybe more, we'll see when I pull it apart) but for the price I couldn't say no.
      Name:  IMG_20160802_124441.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  122.2 KB

I also grabbed what seems to be a brand new spec stage 2 clutch and 8 bolt flywheel. It was a steal so i had to own it, that pretty much completes the drive train.
      Name:  IMG_20160802_124448.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  103.5 KB

Last but not least I picked up some 96 spindles (not ideal but I can make it work), again for the price I really can't say no. If anything the calipers and stuff will be good cores.

Reminder Andy, I have the 89 mustang GT parts for you no charge if you can use them.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      1968 Plymouth Satellite build https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ICAN-CHALLENGE
      One year and only $7000

Quote Originally Posted by NCLBNY View Post
      Reminder Andy, I have the 89 mustang GT parts for you no charge if you can use them.
      This sounds like a set up to me..... Be very wary.....
      1966 Plymouth Fury III

The 96 spindles have the steering arm in the wrong spot, The 94/95 is a much better choice if you can find them. The SN95 lower control arms are good too, better balljoint and wider. You would have to put something to make the steering reach the spindle, I went with a bumpsteer kit that had a longer collar.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Protour_Pinto View Post
      The 96 spindles have the steering arm in the wrong spot, The 94/95 is a much better choice if you can find them. The SN95 lower control arms are good too, better balljoint and wider. You would have to put something to make the steering reach the spindle, I went with a bumpsteer kit that had a longer collar.
      I'm going to pull a crossmember from a 96 and swap it in so I don't have to space the mounts, so I'll just pull everything from it and call it a day

Pulled the transmission apart the other day, ordered a rebuild kit for it to get it back together. Once that's ready I can start pulling the car apart and start test fitting everything.

Name:  IMG_20160802_213134.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  200.6 KB

Woo! Progress and parts! I managed a trip to the junkyard this weekend and found a few things. Accelerator pedal for the drive by wire. Subframe from a 97 mustang including steering rack, control arms, and sway bar. I stripped the old harness off the engine, cleaned it up a bit and took the exhaust manifolds off. On top of all that I picked up some wheels from an 06 mustang, 17x8 +45 and put some 235/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 takeoffs on there. One is a bit bent but...oh well. I got the T45 rebuild kit in the mail too, carbon fibre synchros are so nice!

But who cares about writing. Here's some pictures.
      Name:  IMG_20160814_161851.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  134.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160814_161837.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  138.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160814_161530.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  154.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160814_161331.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  177.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160813_190234.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  124.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160815_205801.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  128.9 KB

More progress this week. I found some time to put the transmission back together last night. Everything went well and it shifts buttery smooth now. Just waiting on two engine mounts before I can mock it up.

Name:  IMG_20160818_180834.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  149.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20160818_203719.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  150.4 KB

Cool project, love the ugly duckling getting a new lease on life.
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com