Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help me design a lightweight stereo system

I'm building an autocross/CAM T, but very streetable Camaro.

Eliminating unnecessary weight and particularly weight that's up high or towards either end is the goal. "Unnecessary" is a VERY relative term though. I'm keeping A/C, some careful sound deadening, power windows and a stereo. Keeping the stereo lightweight requires some compromises though. No sub enclosures and no massive amps.

I'm considering a Pumpkin android head unit, but open to suggestions.
      https://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Capac.../dp/B00P7G82TS

It's a 5 speed car, so kick panel speakers are out and the power windows creates another packaging issue. i.e. the front speakers need to be fairly low mount depth

Ideally, I'd like 6 1/2 separates up front and something in the sail panels with some bass. Maybe 8" mids with voice coils? If the 6 1/2's up front are enough, maybe a powered sub box down low in the rear seat area would be a better choice.

The car is a rear-seat delete, so I have room for an amp or powered sub, but again this is a lightweight build so I won't be using anything huge.

The goal is: minimize the equipment and have the ability to play some tunes with no expectation of rattling any windows. Just a decent, balanced sound.

Country Flag: United States
      I put together a pretty simple and light system for the Cougar. No head unit, I used a small Kenwood bluetooth amp for the front and another little Kenwood amp for the JL micro sub that sits behind the passenger seat. I can easily remove the sub if needed and both amps fit under my dash where the stock stereo used to go.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That's an interesting idea. I'm thinking about the Android stereo because really everything I need is on my phone. The screen mirroring of the unit is nice though. Plus the Pumpkin hooks up to the OBDI output.

There are kick panels where the speaker is at the door edge vs the near the firewall. Depending on what sound you are actually looking for you may have to sacrifice one of your goals. If you want deeper bass even from a 6.5 coax, you will probably be looking at something with more mounting depth required. If you're looking to save that much weight, I would eliminate the head unit like Andrew did and go with a bluetooth amp and use your phone as that's a pretty large head unit.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

camaro but what year ?
      1970 Elcamino ls3/t56, ricks/vaporworx, sc&c afx ,forgeline zx3, kore3 z51/ls1
      1969 Camaro ls1/t56, ricks/vaporworx, ride-tech,forgeline ga3,
      1996 civic the car that makes it all possible

Quote Originally Posted by rallystyle View Post
      camaro but what year ?
      3rd Gen Camaro

Why not just build a removable subwoofer/amplifier? Probably aren't going to be using while racing, pop it in after. A couple quick disconnects for power and speakers and you'd be set. I'm a basshead, so it's hard to see someone give up an enclosure when they don't need to.

Like some have said, a removeal system works best on race days. I did a removable system for a customers. The entire amp rack and sub enclosure can be removed in less then 5 minutes. I used a 5 ch amp that would power the entire system.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...psvxqlkcut.jpg

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com