Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Where to start...68 Camaro

Hello,
      I have a 68 Camaro that I would like to start restoring. I have a general idea what I want out of the car. Speedtech subframe, torque arm rear suspension, 9" rear, 6 speed and undecided if I am going to go LS or use my built 383 Stroker, and C6 Z06 brakes. My questions is where do I start? The car needs full floors, trunk pan, and frame rails. The body of the car is in good shape, and most of it has already been replaced at one time before I got the car. I was going to order the rear suspension with 9" rear while the frame rails and mini tubs were getting installed. Some people have said I should order wheels first to know what width rear end to get, but then I run into issues of what offset to get and I don't have the calipers to measure to make sure they will clear. Just need some advice on where to start.

Thanks,
      Travis

I bought wheels to fit the DSE 4 link (based on their builds) and stock front clip first based on lots of research on this forum for my 67 Camaro. My car came with a 9 inch set up for leafs/non-tubbed, so it had to be cut anyway. Then I found out that the floor in the car needed to be replaced, I was disappointed, but I found a good deal on a full Art Morrison chassis. The project got more expensive and complicated but the ride height, stance and foundation should be solid. Going backwards is not the way to do it so figure out what you really want based on your goals and then start.

I have seen the rear's done both ways depending on what you are starting with, buy wheels first then cut rear end to fit or vise versa. One way to figure this out is to find a build that you like with the wheel size you want (and ideally using your front subframe for track width) and get the rear end measurements, backspacing. Then buy your rear end, mock it up with your axles, brakes, then measure with a wheel fitment tool and then order your wheels.

If the car needs full floors, have you considered a full chassis?

Thanks for the information. I haven't really looked into the full chassis much, but maybe I should give them a look.

I'd pick one and start with the body work first. Also, do the worst first. Be sure to weld supports into the body when taking out the complete floor pan and quarters.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

The Art Morrison full frame requires a custom floor as far as I know. Compare that to $350 or so for a stock replacement full floor...

Roadster shop has a full frame that does not require significant floor mods.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: Canada
      Hey Travis ... best start with budget and make it X2 lol
      The amount of $$ you want to spend dictates everything. If funds are a non issue then Speedtech, Art Morrison etc., Detroit Speed are all of your best choices, and yes absolutely LS if your building this level of car

NO, do not order wheels now, if your like me you'll likely change your mind over the course of the build like 5X
      Don't forget to consider exhaust routing when considering rear suspension ... over axel and out the back was very important to me
      Also, what overall 'look' do you want ??

Just my 2 cents ...
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

I want to build an autox car that's why the Speedtech extreme front sub is so appealing since you can run a 315 tire on the front. I don't really have a dedicated budget, I have a 14 ZL1 that I play with now, so this will be a long term project.

In that case, take your time and do a lot of research. Spend time on the various vendor web sites and order their product catalogs. The more you read the more you learn, the more ideas you come up with and one day it will all come together in your mind. I would also caution you against buying a lot of parts and storing them for later use. Once you buy a part the warranty starts ticking and if you take two years to install a part and find it defective your 90 day warranty has long since expired. Not to mention that you will likely change your mind over time and new products are coming to market all the time.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Great advice there: Do your research, figure out what you want, save if necessary then buy parts. Don't buy parts first....or you will end up selling them later.

How’s the build coming along? I know it’s an old thread, just curious to see some progress. I’m in a similar boat with my ‘68- it needs a TON of bodywork, and I don’t even know where to start first with the bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by SSinister68 View Post
      How’s the build coming along? I know it’s an old thread, just curious to see some progress. I’m in a similar boat with my ‘68- it needs a TON of bodywork, and I don’t even know where to start first with the bodywork.

what do you want out of the car? is this just a weekender car? a little autocross? some track time? an all around car? or a killer autocross/track car!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      what do you want out of the car? is this just a weekender car? a little autocross? some track time? an all around car? or a killer autocross/track car!
      I'd say it would mostly be a weekender car, but I'd definitely like to get into autocross and maybe some track days. It doesn't need to be a world beater, but I'd like to have some modern suspension and brakes-the restomod route. I have a vision for what I want, I just need to find some build threads on the order and proper way to get started (brace the body, then remove the glass, then remove the body).

There is a lot of good restoration threads over on camaros.net that will walk you through rust repair, panel replacement etc.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Do the body first (I'd do mini-tubs just for future flexibility)- DO NOT start buying mechanical parts, that includes brakes, trans, engine, rear, subframe, etc. By the time you get done with the body, you'll have had time to figure out what you want. YMMV.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

I think the OP Travis, realized you think of a budget, then the X2 is waaaay lite. Building a full suspension autoX type car,
      add x4 or x5 to your budget. If you spend 3 years building your car, you’ll need to start over because all that stuff you bought years ago is out of date old school Craigslist penny’s on the dollar junk.

If you can’t finish in 3-4 yrs max !
      Don’t start. go to the dealership and buy a car, you can’t afford this hobby. Like me.
      Help me, I’m poor :(

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      There is a lot of good restoration threads over on camaros.net that will walk you through rust repair, panel replacement etc.

Don
      Thanks! I've been a member over there for years...I'll start digging in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      Do the body first (I'd do mini-tubs just for future flexibility)- DO NOT start buying mechanical parts, that includes brakes, trans, engine, rear, subframe, etc. By the time you get done with the body, you'll have had time to figure out what you want. YMMV.
      Thank you, good advice. Definitely agree on doing the mini-tubs. Might as well while the trunk and quarters are going to need work anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      I think the OP Travis, realized you think of a budget, then the X2 is waaaay lite. Building a full suspension autoX type car,
      add x4 or x5 to your budget. If you spend 3 years building your car, you’ll need to start over because all that stuff you bought years ago is out of date old school Craigslist penny’s on the dollar junk.

If you can’t finish in 3-4 yrs max !
      Don’t start. go to the dealership and buy a car, you can’t afford this hobby. Like me.
      Help me, I’m poor :(

Lol.

Hahaha, yeah, I know it would love to take all of the money I have. If I could just do the bodywork over the span of a couple years, it would give me time to save up more for the suspension and mechanical goodies (hopefully).

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com