Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro - Questions about Replacing Trunk pan and Rear Frame Rails

I am in the middle of mini tubbing my car and installing a G-link, but found some shoddy work that was done by the previous that I need to address. At a minimum, I need to replace the center section of the trunk pan and possibly the frame rails once I tear into it. My questions are:

1. Who makes the best fitting aftermarket replacement parts (trunk pan & rear frame rails): OER, AMD, Golden Start, etc?
      2. What size square tubing should I use to build a jig/support to locate the new frame rails and trunk pan?
      3. Any other suggestions?

I'm actually doing the same exact thing. I decided to go with a full trunk floor pan. Once I realized what was included with the new trunk floor pan it was def worth it. You'll see when you cut away the floor section for the mini tub you expose the shock mount reinforcements and a number of other sheet meetal doublers and strtural pieces. A lot of mine were rusted. The new floor panel I got from summit (AMD) included all of this as part of the new panel. I am using 3/4 x 3/4 x 0.125" angle for bracing everything up.

Country Flag: United States
      Dynacorn frame rails. Anything AMD sells with the first letter being an "X" in the part # is NOT theirs ! Is the complete frame rail trashed ?? Just replace a section of the frame rail.

The frame rails appear to be in good shape, but I just don't know what I may find when replace the trunk pan. Hopefully I won't need to do any work on the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketrod View Post
      The frame rails appear to be in good shape, but I just don't know what I may find when replace the trunk pan. Hopefully I won't need to do any work on the rails.
      That's what I thought too LOL. Now I'm in the middle of having a partial section of the frame rail repaired.

Should post some pics.
      When I get more time I plan on doing the same to my Camaro.

Thanks and good luck with your mods.

The more you replace the happier you will be. I paid $3000 to have a shop do the full trunk and both frame rails on my Camaro. It was a good chunk of money, but I could not have been happier. All that fresh sheetmetal is so easy on the eyes. Plus the replacement rails I used are 2X the thickness of the originals at least.

For a DIY, I have another project that has a good trunk but REALLY bad rails due to mice. I replaced them myself, took my time and braced everything up. These 1st Gens are thankfully easy to work on, so as long as you don't rush you can get good results for minimal money without cutting corners.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com