Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm loving this build! Love the 72 Gran Torino Sports. Used to have one, even had a 429SCJ and 4 speed for it but ended up selling the car and trading the 429 for the 351C in the mustang. Would love to have another.

Roger

69 Mustang coupe, under construction
      2011 Mustang - DD
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ang-SuperCoupe

Freedom Of Speed!

Country Flag: Canada
      Thanks! I was really on the fence about the engine, the car didn't have one. It was originally a 351C 2 barrel car. In fact I've got a 460 and a c6 that I could have used. In the end it came down to wanting the much lighter engine, and the more modern nature will work well with the modern chassis. I'd love a stick shift but finding one on a budget that will hold up to the coyote and high rpm shifts is hard to do. I will eventually be buying a t56 for it but with so much else to do it will stay auto for now. Got to avoid project creep.

Well I'm impressed. Built your own jig....brilliant. The whole Crown Vic deal is really cool making it work with the Torino. I love seeing alternative cars on the site. Really cool project. Too bad you have to deal with working outside. Nice choice on the Coyote motor.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I like what I see. I was going to mention that a cop car ecu has no anti-theft in it but I'm guessing you will buy the Ford control pack to make all this work. Is the tread of the crown vic wider than the torino? That could make wheel selection a little interesting. I'm a real fan of the fish mouth and the dash. I've had fastbacks and now that I'm old, I'm not so excited about the limited visibility. You are correct about being in the right place. There has been some serious restoration efforts on this forum. Welcome and keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      I like what I see. I was going to mention that a cop car ecu has no anti-theft in it but I'm guessing you will buy the Ford control pack to make all this work. Is the tread of the crown vic wider than the torino? That could make wheel selection a little interesting. I'm a real fan of the fish mouth and the dash. I've had fastbacks and now that I'm old, I'm not so excited about the limited visibility. You are correct about being in the right place. There has been some serious restoration efforts on this forum. Welcome and keep going.
      I'm probably going to use an f150 ecu and harness and just remove what I don't need. They can be reprogrammed now to bypass security and just flash on a manual mustang program.. Being in Canada I am trying to avoid buying high dollar items from the US because of the canadian/american exchange.

I'm really getting impatient for the nicer weather to get here again. I've been gathering some more tools to get at the bodywork in the spring. in the mean time I've done some more work on the engine, including stainless hardware for the valve covers and coils, breathers, and BOSS 302 coil covers:
      Name:  16586964_10158527809090157_2303227869529496089_o.jpg
Views: 3257
Size:  121.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sj_mr2 View Post
      This is my latest project car.

To start off most guys would say the car is too far gone, and not worth the effort.

From what I've seen on this site, I don't think I'll have that negativity here!
      That car is NICE compared to some of the JUNQUE some members here have started with!!!!

Charge ON!!!!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I am so in for this! Love Torinos!

Chris

Got some more work done in the last little while. The coyote oil pan doesn't quite clear the cvpi crossmember, there is an odd shaped hump that needs to be removed. I cut it out and made up a patch, welded it in and coated the entire pan with resin to guarantee no leaks. Still need to sand the runs down smooth, but I might leave it as it won't be very visible in the car.
      Also I had to modify the cam cover to fit the police interceptor alternator. I figured it would be worth it to use because it's a 200 amp alternator, and from what I can tell the coyote usually uses a 130-150amp unit. Plus i already had it from the parts car, so saved some money. I had the machinist at work mill the mounting tabs down 3/8ths of an inch to get the pulley in alignment with the belts, then I made up a bracket to catch the other mounting point. Still need to order some better looking hardware and clean up the bracket a little for paint, but the concept should work fine. Once my a/c compressor and tensioners show up I can work on mounting the p/s pump.
      Name:  IMG_20170222_080854.jpg
Views: 2983
Size:  422.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170222_101328.jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  129.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170222_135748.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  124.0 KB
      Name:  111.jpg
Views: 2960
Size:  388.7 KB
      Name:  222.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  441.9 KB
      Name:  333.jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  426.3 KB
      Name:  444.jpg
Views: 2972
Size:  406.1 KB

I'd just have to say three things. 1) I admire your fortitude! 2) What kind of critters lurks outside and 3) I'd sure hate to be you when your wife gets home and sees that motor in the house!
      All jokes aside I think your doing a great job, I don't think I would have that kind of patience, but keep it going you've made tremendous head way already..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Very ambitious project, but you are doing a terrific job so far. Very interesting how you have merged the crown vic frame and pans. Can't wait to see more updates.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Its been awhile since the last update, progress has been slow this summer, but things are picking up now again:
      First update is where I left off with the accesory drives. I looked around for a kit to do what i want, but they all seemed overpriced to me, so I went ahead and designed a simple setup using a reverse rotation corvette pump, a dodge grooved pulley and a bracket of my own deiign to allow the belt to be adjusted without a hydraulic tensioner.
      Name:  IMG_20170504_175506.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  100.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170504_174458.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  80.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170504_175517.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  100.2 KB
      The inner belt on the crank will run the a/c and p/s, while the outer belt runs the water pump and alternator

Now the reason for the slow updates, I finally bought a house with a garage
      Name:  IMG_20170715_000222.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  116.3 KB
      Now that I have easy access to the car (it was a half hour drive away before) and I'm all settled into the new place, progress will be much faster.
      Started again by making some progress on the floor pans, including some rust repair but mostly lots of measuring to be sure it was placed correctly and burning it in.
      Name:  IMG_20170604_095856.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  308.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170718_202036.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  160.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170722_131713.jpg
Views: 2633
Size:  146.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170723_212841.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  201.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170717_200041.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  191.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20170723_212830.jpg
Views: 2655
Size:  147.8 KB

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Now that you are all cosy and warm in the garage, let's hope the progress will be quicker. Please keep the reports coming, as this is a fascinating project. It was said earlier, but worth repeating; you are one clever dude!
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

My grandpa always says 'you can't turn a pig's ass into a silk purse". I always argued the fact. This project is prime example it can be done. Nice work dude!

Crown vic frame and pans merged with the Torino! Love it!

That's the headline here! Coyotes are cool and all--and a little bit of a change up from the oodles of GM cars with LSs swaps... But man, the crown vic part is very enticing!!
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Love this build !!!!

This is wicked.

Go Canada go
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Very cool build!! You have talent and great ideas. Congrats on getting so much done on a car that most people would have parted out. Keep up the great progress and updates!

Did I spy an AMX or two in the background of the pic where you've got the body half off the Crown Vic?

Quote Originally Posted by 813Demon340 View Post
      Very cool build!! You have talent and great ideas. Congrats on getting so much done on a car that most people would have parted out. Keep up the great progress and updates!

Did I spy an AMX or two in the background of the pic where you've got the body half off the Crown Vic?
      Yes. the car was being kept at my uncles place. He's got a couple amx's and a javelin.
      Now, as with any project, it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I wasn't happy with the way the firewall was coming together, and the only reason to keep the crown vic firewall was the plan to use the hvac components. after I found out they were going to interfere with the hood and fender location the next choice was easier:
      Name:  (2).jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  350.2 KB
      I had cut the firewall section from a parts car with the idea to just use the A pillar section to repair the rot on mine, but after some thought and lots of measuring replacing the entire section from where it spot welds to the rockers seemed like the best choice. Even my "new" section needs significant rust repair under the cowl panel Sometimes I hate canada.
      Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  427.1 KB
      My initial thought was to just graft the torino firewall into what was left of the crown vic floor, but it would have looked really awkward, and they didn't line up well. So the next best thing was a flat firewall:
      Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2332
Size:  403.2 KB
      Still lots of cleanup to do, and some holes to fill in, plus I need to make the top of the trans tunnel and add some bracing inside the car to avoid oil canning, but overall it should have a smooth look when finished.
      Also started playing with the shrinker/stretcher to make the reinforcements that connect the A pillar to the floor:
      Name:  IMG_20171015_1923163 (2).jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  368.7 KB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com