Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1959 nash metropolitan

Hi everyone. This is actaully my first post on this forum. I have been lurking around checking out everyone's builds, and thought I would share my project. This is my wife's 59 metropolitan. We started working on it and driving it around in stock form, but quickly grew tired of its high maintnece, slow speeds and bad handling. So we decided to go another direction with the car. A few calls to Art Morrison, and we have a new chassis. I just recieved it friday, so i dont have too many pictures yet, all I have done so far is put some primer and paint on it to keep it from getting surface rust. i jsut spray painted it for now, as I will be doing a lot of welding on the frame and will blast and paint it better when its completed. Here are a few pictures of the car when I was mocking up the wheels, and taking measurments to give Art Morrison.

Attached Images Attached Images        

And here are a few pictures of the new chassis. Once i get everything painted, I will put it together to make it a "roller", then I will start working on getting the body attatched to the chassis.

Now this is what I was looking for. Keep the pics and progress coming.

Country Flag: Canada
      I agree! Always liked this body style and thought it would be a cool candidate for a hot rod/pro touring build. Should be awesome!!!!!!!

What type powerplant/transmission are you going to install?

Thanks guys, I'm not 100% sure on the drivetrain yet. Being a mopar guy, I've got some small block chryslers around, but have also been thinking about an ls engine. Transmission will be an auto for the wife. As for brakes, I have 11" wilwood discs all around. They are not huge for most cars, but will be plenty for this little thing. And the wheels are 15x7 and 15x5. Also not huge, but much larger than the 155/80-13's on there now. My goal for this car is a rock solid cruiser for the wife that is subtle. Yet powerful enough for me to have fun with.

Mustang v6? Camaro v6.

Those 305 hp versions would be nice.

I would go with someone like a Twin Turbo 3.6 litre v6(Mitsu).. That's an easy 500

Quote Originally Posted by slantscamp View Post
      Thanks guys, I'm not 100% sure on the drivetrain yet. Being a mopar guy, I've got some small block chryslers around, but have also been thinking about an ls engine. Transmission will be an auto for the wife. As for brakes, I have 11" wilwood discs all around. They are not huge for most cars, but will be plenty for this little thing. And the wheels are 15x7 and 15x5. Also not huge, but much larger than the 155/80-13's on there now. My goal for this car is a rock solid cruiser for the wife that is subtle. Yet powerful enough for me to have fun with.
      Very cool! Where are you at? I have a few complete GEN III Hemi's complete and ready to plug and play. I'd be willing to part with one cheap if it was going in this!
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

cool ride!! nice little LS motor in there would be cool!
      73 camaro 355 EZ EFI, 700R4, Vintage Air.....15mpg with the a/c on

Cool build!!

This is our Nash Metro build in the making.
      Last edited by Hornet LSX; 12-06-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: image did not up load properly

This may be the only way to fix a metro. You have alot of decisions to make. My daily is a Dakota Rt. I'm happy with it except for gas mileage. A more modern engine would be a nice step forward. Because the Metro would be around 1000 lbs. less, the modern sbm might be an ok pic. Most decisions are made because of budget. Good luck with this!

Well nothing too exciting has been going on yet, just a bunch of taking apart, painting and putting back together. I'm going to try to get the front brakes and hubs on today and am also going to look at a 9" 3rd member from craigslist to put in and make a roller for now. Oh and I need to get the bearings pressed onto the axles.

Looking good! What's next?

what a cute little frame haha.
      JohnnyCichowski.com <- ls1 miata build, race results, product reviews, yada yada yada...

Well it's been a while since I have posted any updates. I have been steadily working on the car in my spare time, but just dont get much time to post stuff up. I got the body mounted on the chassis and even picked up an engine for it. Here are a few pics for you guys to enjoy. I ended up cutting everything out from rocker to rocker, then reboxed the rocker panels. On the frame, i welded 1/8" plate to the bottom that hung out on the sides. Then set the body right on these plates, squared everything up, and welded the rocker panels to the 1/8" plate. It's kind of different, but seems like a really strong way to attatch the body. I saw it done to a mustang on the Art Morrison site. In the pic of the rocker panel, you can see that i also extended the plate to box in a portion of the rear part of the frame. kind of like the old mopar torque boxes on hemi cars. But with 1/8" plate rather than sheet metal, Its probably overkill, but I like it. In the front I have some temporary supports holding the front up. (the front fenders do not come off these, they are like quarter panels) and the rear is supported with the stock supports since the frame was made to be the same height as the stock frame was.

So here is where I am at as of last weekend. I purchased a complete 5.3 lm7 (I decided a good 350 H.P. should be enough for this 85" wheelbase car) and stripped it down to the basics. Sunday I decided to see how it fits in the car. I measured to pinion and it was at about 2*, so I got the engine as low as i could while maintain the 2* angle and I still have a bunch of room between the oil pan and crossmember, but the starter looks like it will be about 1/8" from the frame. The height in the pictures will also put my new holley oil pan at about 6" above the ground at ride height. I guess i could notch the frame a bit to get the engine down more and still clear the starter, but i would rather not cut into the frame if i dont have to. And I dont want the oil pan too low. Any input that you guys have is very much appreciated. How low do you guys run your oil pans? This is all speculation at the moment as I wont determine final location until I get a transmission bolted up and put it all in at once. I will also be purchasing some steering joints to see where the engine needs to be relative to the rack and the shaft coming off of it. Let me know what you guys this, but dont be too harsh, I'm still learning.

Here are a few more randon pics. Mostly of the frame while I was welding the body mount plates on.

Nice work. I want one now

Man.. That's all kinds of cool!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com