Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      I would like to get information on the controller also. Been looking everywhere for one.

Country Flag: United States
      Where did you find that adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcnitt View Post
      I don't have any good videos but here's a few:

video of first time trying it:

transbraking with sbc

dynoing it, i ran 6th gear with converter locked, with pull made about 740rwp

and failed attempt at the texas mile
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo18OigXd4

pics
      this shows how a ls wheel is too big to fit inside of the bellhousing.
      I've been running a 153 tooth plate however i had to modify the starter for it to work.
      I'll be using a 1" spacer / adapter next time so the flexplate doesn't have to reach into trans
      Attachment 151528

this is the first adapter, it's only 7/16" so the flexplate sticks out past it.
      Attachment 151529

I'll be using 2 plates like this, 1/2" each
      Attachment 151530

the computer i'm using. if i had to do it again i'd just buy the pcs controller or similar
      Attachment 151531

the converter pilot is 1.337", i just cut one out of aluminum. I'm make a steel one next time
      Attachment 151532

this kinda shows it's size, i did have to open up the tunnel a little and will open it up more for the driveshaft going forward
      Attachment 151533

messaged you for info please

Quote Originally Posted by cmcnitt View Post
      I just finished swapping a 8 speed auto from a dodge ram into my 67 chevelle.
      I'm posting this only to offer anyone interested in doing this any help / advice based on what I did to make it work.
      it's really not too bad, I decided to rip the existing controller out of the tranny and used an external one.
      other than that I used an ati adapter plate and 153 tooth gm flex plate to mate it up.
      I am currently manually shifting using two buttons, shift up and shift down. I'll be adding auto mode someday however manual mode is really what I was after,
      I actually only lock up the converter after 8th so it feels like a 9 speed.
      it's basically the same as the hellcat tranny, I shift in under 200 ms and it barks the tires in every gear.
      there's probably better trannys to use but I've tried 2sp, 3sp,4sp od, and a t56. This 8 spd kills them all
      Again, I'm only posting to help others interested in doing this, it took me a lot of searching to find the info so I'd be happy to help anyone save some time do this.
      A
      messaged you for info

Is this thread dead, did we get trolled?

****ing RAD MAN!!!

The OP hasn't been on in almost 2 years, pretty sure he won't be answering anymore questions.

Shame this is an old thread. I actually found a company that makes standalone controllers for this transmission. I was looking for a way to run an 8L90E, but an 8HP90 will work just as well for my project.

http://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/pcs/

And, from my email conversation with the company:
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Me- I saw on your website that you have a standalone controller for the ZF 8HP90 transmission. What exactly is needed to stick an 8HP90 behind a non-computerized engine?

Them - Just TPS and RPM is required inputs from the engine. We also need the 8hp shifter to go with the transmission.

Me - Excellent, just what I wanted to read. Can you recommend anyone who can build an adapter to fit the transmission behind a Chevy engine? If not that's OK, I can probably find someone. Finding an 8 speed to go behind my engine has been a major stumbling block that you have solved. I am assuming that your controller also allows me to set shift points along the RPM band where I want them?

Them - All tuning is done with something like HP Tuners. There is an OBD port on the harness for tuning the transmission.

Me - Excellent. I'm doing suspension work at the moment, then will be moving on to the engine and transmission. I'll order when I'm ready, should be a couple of months. I'm assuming a shifter from a 2016 Dodge Charger will work? They came with the 8 speed.

Them - Yes. 2016 shifter is fine. I have used ones in stock as well if needed for 150.00.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      So now, I need to figure out how to bolt an 8HP90 to the back of an LS3 block. Worse comes to worst, I'll ask the shop I want to use to build my engine if they can do an adapter as well, if I bring them a transmission. I figure if this trans can live behind heavy Hellcats and Demons, one can live behind my engine.

I thought the PCS controller had it's own software...having to buy HP Tuners just for this occasion sounds expensive.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I asked, they said no. Must be programmed with something. Yes, the initial buy-in cost is painful, but the ability to do unlimited updates to your car's programs is a pretty good salve for the pain. I bought EFI Live a number of years ago, and it hurt at the time, but I've made hundreds of programming changes to both my cars and my family's cars for a lot less than hiring a programmer for each would have cost. Unfortunately EFI Live won't support Dodge stuff except for their diesel trucks. If EFI Live won't talk to the ZF transmission, I'll be getting HP Tuners. EFI Live seems to want out of the car tuning business they way they talk on their message board, while HP Tuners has been expanding what they cover like mad, so there's that.

This is why I prefer Holley EFI :-)
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

"So now, I need to figure out how to bolt an 8HP90 to the back of an LS3 block. Worse comes to worst, I'll ask the shop I want to use to build my engine if they can do an adapter as well, if I bring them a transmission. I figure if this trans can live behind heavy Hellcats and Demons, one can live behind my engine."

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...kit-ch1000401/

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
      "So now, I need to figure out how to bolt an 8HP90 to the back of an LS3 block. Worse comes to worst, I'll ask the shop I want to use to build my engine if they can do an adapter as well, if I bring them a transmission. I figure if this trans can live behind heavy Hellcats and Demons, one can live behind my engine."

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...kit-ch1000401/

Sweet, thanks!

so what is PCS supplying for that $1000? a wiring harness? I thought the tcm was built into the transmission and theyre telling you to buy HPT to tune that?

I'm picking up a 8hp70 this morning to attempt this swap (5.3 in a chevelle) and will be building my own controller similar to the guy that started this thread.
      I am also planning to make my own adapter. If anyone has accurate bolt pattern dimensions for the trans that would be helpful. I have come across engineering drawings of the chevy bolt pattern but not the dodge yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendSetter View Post
      so what is PCS supplying for that $1000? a wiring harness? I thought the tcm was built into the transmission and theyre telling you to buy HPT to tune that?

I'm picking up a 8hp70 this morning to attempt this swap (5.3 in a chevelle) and will be building my own controller similar to the guy that started this thread.
      I am also planning to make my own adapter. If anyone has accurate bolt pattern dimensions for the trans that would be helpful. I have come across engineering drawings of the chevy bolt pattern but not the dodge yet.
      The TCM in the transmission talks to the ECM over CANbus. From what I gather, what you're buying is a little box that takes in the RPM and TPS signals and converts it into a CANbus signal that the transmission can understand, and allows you to connect to the TCM so you can program it. Plus, you can connect it to a shifter so yes, a wiring harness but also the translator box. I've tried to make sense of the CANbus stuff but I've never been able to wrap my mind around computer programming. If I could I wouldn't be a phone company tech, I'd own an automotive business selling things like transmission controllers, BCM programmers, and other junk. The one that the OP made bypassed the TCM and turned his transmission into a manual trans, and he's triggering the gear shifts directly by pushing a button. This thing lets the trans shift like it was in the car it was originally installed in. You might not even need HP Tuners if your rear ratio and tire size are the same as the car the trans came in.

Looks like this company makes a stand alone controller for ZF 8hp's. European based company https://htg-tuning.com

8 speed conversion

I just joined this board because of the thread. Sounds like a great option and I'm definitely going to pursue it. Especially when 6 speeds for GMs are ridiculously overpriced. One of my vehicles has the TCI Controller driving a 4l60E. That was a no brainer for a 4 speed. It mated to a FAST EFI BBC.
      Last edited by gxb930; 09-09-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TrendSetter View Post

Any luck on that controller?

Okay so I've been super curious about this for the past couple of days so I've done a little research.

This address is to a profile and it's liked projects on hackaday that closely resemble what OP's YouTube channel contains.

https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/...lows?sort=date

Maybe one of these is the controller he uses. A picture of his is attached.

He states that he removed the valve body and controller and wired in his own in order to control the solenoids that operate the clutches. Attatched is a picture of the solenoids, and also a picture of how they are to be engaged. Also a key to what each picture shows.

Don't know if it will help anyone but perhaps it could. Name:  tapatalk_429566349_400x300.jpg
Views: 3059
Size:  26.8 KBName:  Screenshot_2020-10-25-22-08-50.jpg
Views: 3312
Size:  76.6 KBName:  Screenshot_2020-10-25-22-07-34.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  50.2 KBName:  Screenshot_2020-10-25-22-08-18.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  59.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dap03 View Post
      Any luck on that controller?
      i made a bunch of progress when i first started the project but have been focusing on other things lately. im hoping to pick back up on it soon.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post20283632

Keep us posted, this has caught my interest!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com