Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      It appears the only way to lower those is to modify and slot the floor brace, a little tricky for my rudimentary fab skills. Luckily I am 5'11" so have a few more inches to work with.

To keep it interior relevant, while relaxing in those comfy seats, how is the 2004r holding up behind that motor?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
      I bet anyone over 6 feet w/ helmet in a modern seat requiring a bracket would be tough fit.
      Sad but true, and at 6'5" I know the struggle. I had to get shaved base Corbeau's and cut the legs on the Planted brackets shorter. Now my hair doesn't touch the headliner!

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I'm only 5'10" so no issues, but when my friend who is 6' 10" comes along we can't even put the top up (not that I would ever drive with it up anyway).
      And I know the 2004r question wasn't for me but I had one behind my modest motor and it was fine. Wouldn't do it again though because the TV cable is just one more thing to mess with.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  19.9 KB

well, I have to admit, you guys got me thinking and I do want to stay planted in my seat, and access to the rear does make sense. I found a rare set of seats from a Mercedes. And it's from a convertible. Can't wait to mess with them. Not sure if I'll have Jerry recover my existing rear seat or try to stuff these in there. The other thing is they'll be getting sprayed the factory parchment with the gold metallic. I also have the console coming.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

One thing to keep in mind, that I don't think most people think of...

When installing late model seats with build in seat belts, you MUST significantly strengthen the mounting points for the seats. During an accident a traditional seat is really only holding its own weight in place, and the seat belt mounting points do the much more difficult job of holding the (much heavier) driver in place.

When you install different seats with built in seat belts, during an accident the four seat mounting points are now tasked with holding the weight of the seat and you in place.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post

When installing late model seats with build in seat belts, you MUST significantly strengthen the mounting points for the seats. During an accident a traditional seat is really only holding its own weight in place, and the seat belt mounting points do the much more difficult job of holding the (much heavier) driver in place.

When you install different seats with built in seat belts, during an accident the four seat mounting points are now tasked with holding the weight of the seat and you in place.
      Excellent point, I'm up in the air weather on not to update the seat belts. I asked the seller to send all the belts with the seats, so I have options. There over the shoulder on the newer seats, floor on my convertible. There would be some mods all around, but of course safer. Or just chop off the new seat belt and use the old ones that are mounted on either side. The rear would be the real chore seeing how the come out up high.

I bet anyone over 6 feet w/ helmet in a modern seat requiring a bracket would be tough fit. It would be cool if there were an easy, secure way to make different seat brackets modular. Say put a mount in the floor, then on the bottoms of your seats put brackets/ clamps / whatever that mates up with it. Then you could swap in GTO seats for normal use and a Recaro for race day. Sort of like how seats come out of minivan second row.
      You just have to make each seat with its own brackets, mine still come out with 4 nuts just like OEM, I could change them in 10 minutes.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by mckemy442 View Post
      To keep it interior relevant, while relaxing in those comfy seats, how is the 2004r holding up behind that motor?
      No problem as I have a peg leg and no nitrous ... yet.
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post

Great point. I was going to mention it, but unless I don't see it, the seat belts aren't attached to the seat? But yeah, that's what I deal with in my main job, as I design seats for military ground vehicles. The test you're referring to is the FMVSS 207/210 anchorage test. To reach compliance is a difficult task, something the original bolts certainly are not capable of. A typical seat test is a slow pull forward of about 8,000 lbs. Yes, 2X the vehicle weight pulling on the seat... you'd be surprised at what happens to things that "look plenty strong" at that force. 3/8" bolts and heavy plates under the floor at a minimum.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Great point. I was going to mention it, but unless I don't see it, the seat belts aren't attached to the seat? But yeah, that's what I deal with in my main job, as I design seats for military ground vehicles. The test you're referring to is the FMVSS 207/210 anchorage test. To reach compliance is a difficult task, something the original bolts certainly are not capable of. A typical seat test is a slow pull forward of about 8,000 lbs. Yes, 2X the vehicle weight pulling on the seat... you'd be surprised at what happens to things that "look plenty strong" at that force. 3/8" bolts and heavy plates under the floor at a minimum.
      Wow. That's another good point. Mercedes doesn't use the seat to restrain the occupants. Well, maybe on one side, the other is mounted to the chassis. It seems BMW does seat only? So your consenplating a human/seat misile. BMW Set up looks and retrofits easier but I see how the safety comes into question. I would like to modify the current system some how. I currently have lap belts in a rag top. I found this site on belts upgrades. Not sure how to do it on a convertible. https://www.retrobelt.com/collection...shoulder-belts https://www.retrobelt.com/collection...69+pontiac+gto

Here's another good one http://www.wescoperformance.com/i-32...e-install.html

Used the original seatbelts, with factory mounting points. The rears had to be moved, with giant washers under the floor.
      17 GT350

I'd read that some Mercs route power seat functions through the bcm, might be worth double checking.
      The floor brace part of the conversation won't be as important with those seats since they don't have the seatbelt built in. I was thinking about trying to work those extender arms into the shoulder belts in my back seat. Pretty cool.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I'd read that some Mercs route power seat functions through the bcm, might be worth double checking.
      The floor brace part of the conversation won't be as important with those seats since they don't have the seatbelt built in. I was thinking about trying to work those extender arms into the shoulder belts in my back seat. Pretty cool.
      You are correct on some years/ models. My first selection with the switches mounted to the seats out of. 2011 worked easy with a jump- all functions. I have a video with the testing.
      The new selection is out of a 2008 And does involve the can system- with some low voltage switching- however, the seat motors are all the same, there fore, if you were to wire a 1995 seat switch and override the module under the seat... Your good to go. Now it's a bit more work but the resale of 2 good seat modules with memory and the 2 low voltage switches should more than fund the operation. In fact ... A few dollars may land in my pocket (well not really). But should pay for the retro fit Lol

If it's DPDT switching I'll need to experiment a bit. This is the fun part as long as I don't fry something

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn01754 View Post
      You are correct on some years/ models. My first selection with the switches mounted to the seats out of. 2011 worked easy with a jump- all functions. I have a video with the testing.
      The new selection is out of a 2008 And does involve the can system- with some low voltage switching- however, the seat motors are all the same, there fore, if you were to wire a 1995 seat switch and override the module under the seat... Your good to go. Now it's a bit more work but the resale of 2 good seat modules with memory and the 2 low voltage switches should more than fund the operation. In fact ... A few dollars may land in my pocket (well not really). But should pay for the retro fit Lol

If it's DPDT switching I'll need to experiment a bit. This is the fun part as long as I don't fry something
      I dicked around with the seat control module for about 10 minutes. Ripped it out in about 5 minutes. Ran the seat function with jumpers and works like a charm. Very basic DPDT switching. I'm amped!!

Did a little more research and.......my heated seat are nice and toasty hot.
      Last edited by Shawn01754; 01-07-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Heated seat update

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  239.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  173.8 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry duplicate

Last edited by Shawn01754; 01-20-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Dulicate post using I phone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com