Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

did some thinking about comfort

I did some thinking and pricing for new vinyl. I remember dreading my vinyl seats feeling like plastic most every time I drove the car. I enjoy the style but also found the inability to recline was really annoying. $2,000 for new plastic and then...I did my own research and I found these. I'm now thinking of how to make them parchment like the 69 gto interior color

Attached Images Attached Images      

Country Flag: United States
      Do those tilt or slide forward?
      Regardless, recoloring leather is not hard to do, especially if the colors are already close.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Yes, the do both power. I was thinking of putting one of the 3 memory settings all the way slid and tilted toward. Also having a button/ switch accessible in the rear so a rear passenger can get out without help. Maybe install the button in the factory location it would have been for a factory GM a body.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Don't even think twice, modern seats are worlds better than any OEM musclecar seat, as long as you're not concerned about weight (they're usually heavier because they're more awesome.) If you're planning any autocross/roadrace action, higher bolsters are better because you tend to slide around on the leather.

My new GTO seats are a pain to get into because of the side bolsters, but fit like a glove once you're in. Worth every penny paid and every minute spent installing them.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      Don't even think twice, modern seats are worlds better than any OEM musclecar seat, as long as you're not concerned about weight (they're usually heavier because they're more awesome.) If you're planning any autocross/roadrace action, higher bolsters are better because you tend to slide around on the leather.

My new GTO seats are a pain to get into because of the side bolsters, but fit like a glove once you're in. Worth every penny paid and every minute spent installing them.
      I really like those Gto seats, almost impossible to find anymore.Thanks for the advise, I was concerned about losing the nostalgic factory looking interior, but my daily driver taught me the comfort of a fine seating arrangement. The 8 way power, 4 way lumbar, 3 memory seats should be an interesting install. Did I mention, there also heated, Lol. I did some serious measuring it it looks like it will fit decent, but only time will tell, thanks Shawn

If they only tilt/ slide when powered (are they from a 4 door?) then I would never even think about using them, unless or course I hated whoever might ride in the back. In a wreck or accident - a situation where passengers would need to get out quickly and easily - power might or might not be available, and even when it is power seats are slow. Forcing a seat to work in an application where it might not be safe sounds less than ideal, especially since there are plenty of different two seater cars from which to pull more functional seats.

Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

It's a ragtop. Maybe I keep a knife in back, to get the rear occupants out and share that with the passengers in back, there on there own. Lol. Excellent point but the top is soft. Any real bad accident were all dead lol. It's sort of like a corvette. And Not often someone is in the back, with the top up, maybe twice a year. But great point. I'm seriously consenplating a roll
      bar with 5 point harness.
      As I was driving in work this morning, I had remembered a few times, in my daily driver my wife crawled from the front seat into the rear seating area to tend to out daughter, while I was driving lol. She quickly climbed between the seats to get to the back. I'm going to measure this area, and quite possibly that area me be equal or greater than the area I currently have with the factory seats folded forward. The new seats are slightly narrower. Hmmm.
      Last edited by Shawn01754; 12-29-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Early morning thoughts

Convertible, well then never mind. Death is a certainty regardless. I've been thinking about making a passenger friendly bar like this guy did (or was doing) for mine. That would be a next summer project though.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t=#post1206842
      The main issue I had with mounting my seats was that getting the bases on the floor itself meant having to move the seats inward a bit due to the rockers, not a big deal on the passenger side but this of course meant the driver's was a bit off center behind the wheel. Ended up reworking some Planted brackets to get everything in place where it should be. I only mention that because it might affect the room between seats. Those seats look fairly thickly padded at the bottom so using a bracket might make them tall. With the top up I can't imagine being able to squeeze between the seats and with it down and moving I can't imagine wanting to try, but my friends and I might simply be larger than your wife.
      This is all speculation on my part, just throwing out things I had to deal with.

NO bar for my convertible but I ride motorcycles also.

At the risk of a thread hijack, how did you get your GTO seats low enough. Most modern seats sit high. I put 2006 challenger seats in my El Camino and have a set of GTO ready to install in my Chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by mckemy442 View Post
      At the risk of a thread hijack, how did you get your GTO seats low enough. Most modern seats sit high. I put 2006 challenger seats in my El Camino and have a set of GTO ready to install in my Chevelle.
      Tons of measuring. The head rest is 2 inches higher, however it'a profile is 2" taller. Well I guess I'll share my little secret seeing how you asked
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hem...?client=safari

I checked the article but where was the secret?

The secret is that Mercedes class C seats are 1) low enough 2) have the bolster everyone seems to like 3)Mercedes is know to be a "touring car & have better comfort than sports cars. 4) an easy fit, cheap and look great in the a bodies 5) a guy who, also addresses the rear seat for a reasonable fee
      How much of that did you already know?

Not a lot. I do know the suede and leather on the SRT seats are incredibly comfy, and heated!

Were the cream colored seats at the top of the post from a c class?

Quote Originally Posted by mckemy442 View Post
      Were the cream colored seats at the top of the post from a c class?
      Yes

They are nice looking

I dropped the GTO seats as low as they go and they are tight. I'm 6'1" and with a helmet on I have to scootch down a little.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Is the helmet for a rough commute, or the track?

I bet anyone over 6 feet w/ helmet in a modern seat requiring a bracket would be tough fit. It would be cool if there were an easy, secure way to make different seat brackets modular. Say put a mount in the floor, then on the bottoms of your seats put brackets/ clamps / whatever that mates up with it. Then you could swap in GTO seats for normal use and a Recaro for race day. Sort of like how seats come out of minivan second row.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com