Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

FFDawson's 1962 Impala Build

Might as well start a thread. I have a habit of waiting until I have "something worth showing" but by th time I feel the build is worthy there's always wayyyyy too much to go back and make a thread about.

The car: 1962 Impala Sport Coupe. Originally Ermine white with red interior. 327 v8 and Powerglide.

I bought the car in 2014 after responding to a Craigslist ad. The car was a 2 owner, 1 family car. The seller's father had bought the car new, drove it on and off for 20 years then parked it in a hangar. The seller pulled it out a few years prior and went through it in hopes of building it back up for his dad. They replaced the drivetrain with a crate 350/TH350 with Rochester quad, headers, exhaust was re-routed to dump in front of the rear wheels, added power steering, basically gutted the interior (seats were included, but not installed) and shot the car in grey primer over the 15 year old maroon repaint. They also added the Torque-Thrust D wheels in 14x7 and 15x8.5.

Other than the modifications listed, the car was stock, and intact. 90% of the trim is there, in varying shape. The car is a runner, after buying it I promptly drove it home nearly 200 miles without issue, other than the fact that I forgot to bring earplugs, and with no interior and the exhaust it's loud AF on the freeway! Since then I have done minor work, such as installing seat belts front and rear, replacing the starter with a high torque model, and replacing the pittman arm seals in the power steering, and a few oil changes. I drive it a few times a month, and it runs well, but basically "needs" everything to be a true solid car.

This is my first build, and I'm a novice mechanic with basic tools and limited budget. However I have lofty goals, and plan to use this site and all of its member's combined wisdom to help me along the way in building it.

I love the pro-touring genre of cars. While I can appreciate the work and dedication involved in correct restorations, as well as high buck high bling show cars, they generally leave me flat. I am drawn to cars that PERFORM, and not just in a single element. While drag racing is perhaps the birthplace and lifeblood of hot rodding, it leaves out the other 2/3 of a vehicles performance, turning and stopping!

I plan to build a car that will be able to do all 3, and well enough to leave a big goofy smile plastered all over my face in the process.

My my inspiration for the build is sourced from early 60's NASCAR, Trans-Am racing and AutoX cars such as the ridetech '62 Impala that aren't afraid to hustle a big ol hunk of steel around a few corners. I know full well that there are many platforms better suited for pro-touring than the X-frame Chevys, but I've always been a fan of the big b-bodies.

Anyways, here's my build, or at least the start of it. It's going to be a long slow process, and remember it's my first, so go easy on me

pics and more to follow

Current Pic
      Attachment 185198
      Untitled by awesome_adawson, on Flickr
      Attached Images Attached Images  

The CL Ad. I talked him down to $6300

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3597
Size:  15.9 KB

First drive
Views: 4132
Size:  219.2 KB

In the hangar
      Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3699
Size:  29.1 KB

Cool build. Looking forward to updates!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The drive home
Views: 3676
Size:  90.6 KB
      Finally made it to the garage!
Views: 3623
Size:  195.4 KB

Looks like a clean start, congrats!

Looks like you found a great base for a build, those are getting hard to find in decent shape for a good price.

Finally had a clear enough picture of what direction my build is headed, and I pulled the trigger on a pile of parts. I took advantage of some great Black Friday deals offered by @mattsclassicbowties and scored the Wilwood Big brake kit, 6piston 12.88" front, 4 piston rear with parking brake, the ridetech Level 2 air ride kit complete with Strong Arms, Shockwaves and the air pod, as well as the Musclebar sway, and a Moser 9" rear with 31 splines, 373 gears and truetrac posi... Mmmmmm parts

So far I have been able to clean, paint and assemble the Moser 9" rear, including the Wilwood rear brake kit.

Views: 3637
Size:  123.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  200.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  206.0 KB

Just have to add the brake lines and pads to finish up the rear end build. Next I'll be tearing into the front Wilwood kit, the master cylinder and pro portioning valve. After that the air ride is coming out of the box.

One thing I still need to figure out is wheels and tires... The big brake kit makes my 14's n 15's obsolete. I'm struggling mightily on narrowing down my options.

I'm leaning towards 18's, I like a little more tire than the 20" would allow. I initially wanted to run big smooth steelies, for a sleeper/stocker look, but with these big beautiful brakes under here I couldn't hide them behind steelies. Just wouldn't be right. I do like a race car inspired wheel, like the LT-III from et wheels or the Forgeline Laguna... I love the look of the Trans Am cars, just not sure if I could pull off those wheels on the Impala... I love the modern look of the mesh rims, but I think I trend towards a more classic styling. The good old 5 spoke like the Torq thrust d is always a tried and true look, but I feel like they're way too common on the Impalas.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Laguna
Views: 3609
Size:  65.1 KB
      LT-III
Views: 3558
Size:  119.8 KB

Nice car, I'll enjoy this build. Subscribed!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Country Flag: Australia
      Looks like you got a bargain! Really like that wheel style as well. For the price the ET wheels look good, Rotiform make one too, the MLW, but like the Forgelines they are expensive -
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

Country Flag: Australia
      A bit different style but I like these as well - US Mags Ramblers- so much so that I just got a set for the Plymouth. It is always a hard call.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Cool build. Looking forward to updates!

Andrew
      Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
      Looks like a clean start, congrats!
      Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      Looks like you found a great base for a build, those are getting hard to find in decent shape for a good price.
      Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Nice car, I'll enjoy this build. Subscribed!

Thanks guys!! I know it's going to be a long road ahead, but I'm stoked to have a pile of fun parts and some projects to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Godbolt View Post
      A bit different style but I like these as well - US Mags Ramblers- so much so that I just got a set for the Plymouth. It is always a hard call.
      That is a great looking wheel! Love the grey centers... Too many choices!

May have been better to consider wheel choice before ordering the rear-end...now you will be confined by wheel offset/backspace offered in your selection. The Vision 143's are a bargain in wheels...if you can fit them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-1438861gmml1
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-1438961gmml1

What color is it going to end up? Will probably play a part in wheel selection. I like the build- but I would go 20's instead of 18's for such a long car. The gray centers certainly seem to fit the car.

Quote Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
      May have been better to consider wheel choice before ordering the rear-end...now you will be confined by wheel offset/backspace offered in your selection. The Vision 143's are a bargain in wheels...if you can fit them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-1438861gmml1
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-1438961gmml1

Holy cow those are cheap! Any word on the quality? They are some great looking wheels for the price! And yes, I had thought about the rear end and how it would solidify my wheel width and offset choices. Thing is with these X-frame cars there really isn't much room for adjustment without doing major work to the frame. I don't plan on swapping the frame. Too much $! Still, would have been wise to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      What color is it going to end up? Will probably play a part in wheel selection. I like the build- but I would go 20's instead of 18's for such a long car. The gray centers certainly seem to fit the car.
      I'm really leaning hard toward returning it to white/red interior. That is partially why I like the gray center wheels so much, I feel like they really work on a white car. I haven't ruled out 20" in the back yet, I have to do some more research, as well as measurements, and see what fits. Trying to avoid the slammed lowrider look, and keep a performance oriented feel...

Quote Originally Posted by Ffdawson View Post
      Holy cow those are cheap! Any word on the quality? They are some great looking wheels for the price! And yes, I had thought about the rear end and how it would solidify my wheel width and offset choices. Thing is with these X-frame cars there really isn't much room for adjustment without doing major work to the frame. I don't plan on swapping the frame. Too much $! Still, would have been wise to consider.
      Those in the image above are mine on the El Camino. I was stunned when I first saw them...look like a wheel selling for three times the price. Fronts are 18x8.5 w/5.1"BS...rears are 18x9.5 w/5.75"BS.

Been a while since I've had time to do much work on her. Finally got some nice weather and a few free moments. I cleaned up the trunk area with a wire wheel and some Rust evaporator, then re sprayed with Rust-Oleum trunk liner Splatter Paint. Turned out pretty decent.
      Name:  trunk.jpg
Views: 3283
Size:  164.7 KB

Also replaced the old and finicky Rochester Q-jet with a new Edelbrock performer 600 w/ electric choke. Runs beautifully now, no more shooting starter fluid into the carb every time I need to start it.

I was also able to swing by my buddy's shop and get her up on a lift. We pulled the wheels and took some measurements. I think I've narrowed down my wheel selection. 18x8 up front, 20x10 out back. Im leaning hard towards the US Mags Ramblers now with the machined centers.

New wheels and tires came in!! Went with the US Mags Rambler U111. 18x8.5 Front. 20x9.5 rear Tires are Sumitomo HTR2 225/45r18 Front 275/35R20 rear. Mocked them up and i am STOKED! i think they look amazing. Fronts fit and clear everything very nicely. Still waiting on rear rims to arrive, but the tires look MASSIVE!

Name:  IMG_1901.jpg
Views: 3131
Size:  217.9 KBName:  IMG_1913.jpg
Views: 3180
Size:  206.2 KBName:  IMG_1912.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  155.7 KBName:  IMG_1911.jpg
Views: 3162
Size:  164.6 KBName:  IMG_1910.jpg
Views: 3153
Size:  152.8 KBName:  IMG_1914.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  137.1 KB

ok not really sure why it attaches ALL the pics, i only wanted the top 4... oh well... you get the whole lot. The Torque thrusts will be for sale very shortly if anyone's interested

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com